Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The momentum is swinging towards letting players develop in Europe. There's been a huge push to keep players in Sweden rather than going to the AHL, and there's always going to be players who head to the AHL and then go back to Sweden without making the NHL (for example, Zaar), they're going to tell younger players that the AHL isn't worth it.

There was even a delegation from the SHL that addressed NHL GMs last year:

Swedish hockey officials make pitch to keep NHL prospects at home longer - Sportsnet.ca

From that article:

“There’s still one or two teams that are at the bottom (in Sweden) and have a chance to be relegated and if ownership and/or the fan base is not approving of that, it’s easy to sit kids,” said Sabres GM Tim Murray. “My coach in the American League may not like some of my young guys some nights, but I have the ability to tell him to suck it up and play them. So there’s that.”

I think the rationale is if a player like Texier is committing to multiple years, then there's more of a chance he gets developed by the team rather than benched as a young player who might make mistakes.

But I also find it interesting the idea that top prospects know in the AHL, they get to play no matter what their AHL coach thinks of their play because of their status in the organization.

Jonathan Davidsson signed a 1 year extension with DIF back in February. He's 21, so he might be ready to come to the AHL, but he plays with his 19 year old brother, Marcus, who was drafted by the Sabres. They both resigned 1 year contracts at the same time.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Texier starts the playoffs today, his team is the 6 seed.

They lost game 1 and were down 3-1 in the third but scored 3 goals in 9 minutes to take home ice and even the series. They were REALLY hot at the end of the year and probably one of those teams you wanted to avoid. Texier has no points so far.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
But I also find it interesting the idea that top prospects know in the AHL, they get to play no matter what their AHL coach thinks of their play because of their status in the organization.

That's not necessarily the case, for every team.

I wont :deadhorse but, "They were here, they saw it"....

Boy, I love Seth Jones.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm trying look ahead based on the current roster and pipeline prospects. Many of you are much more in tune than me on our prospects. I'm not sure we will have any roster spots clearly open, even if we make a major trade. But assuming we did, I get the sense that only Abramov could make the Jackets, but is more likely bound for The AHL. So curious....is this an accurate take on the prospects?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm trying look ahead based on the current roster and pipeline prospects. Many of you are much more in tune than me on our prospects. I'm not sure we will have any roster spots clearly open, even if we make a major trade. But assuming we did, I get the sense that only Abramov could make the Jackets, but is more likely bound for The AHL. So curious....is this an accurate take on the prospects?

Maybe Stenlund because of lack of center depth, and maybe Carlsson depending on who stays or goes on our glut of defenseman. But yeah, you're accurate.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Excluding guys who are already in the AHL, the only ones I can think of who might be NHL-ready next season are Stenlund (in a limited role), Abramov (but probably not) and Gavrikov (who still has another year on his KHL contract). Andrew Peeke might be a dark horse, but I don't know if he'd leave Notre Dame without a real good chance at a roster spot. The rest are ticketed for the AHL or staying in Europe or college.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I don't get to watch full prospect games... I'll just watch the game recaps if they score, keep up on their stats, watch pre-season games... So, my word can't be taken as definitive... I am also trying to do a better job in the last couple years of managing my expectations of players, so I tend to be more cautious.

But, I think Abramov is most likely bound the AHL. I think the Jackets will give him the opportunity to win a spot in the NHL like they have done with other prospects. But, even Oliver Bjorkstrand spent 1.5 years in the AHL and he put up 76 goals, 67 assists in 76 games for the WinterHawks as a 19 year old in the WHL. It took him some time to earn a spot in the NHL and we weren't as deeply stocked at the "NHL" level at that time. Just had a good AHL team.

Stenlund- Eh, I don't want to say he earns a spot in Columbus next season without hearing how he plays in the AHL, seeing his pre-season. His skating isn't teriffic from all reports and he only put up about 0.5 ppg in the SHL as a 21 year old top center. I think there's more opening at our Center depth for him to make it, but I don't want to pencil him in.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
any defensive prospects potentionally will have a nightmare trying to crack the lineup. If Murray and Cole are signed or not traded Kukan will be a #7 and Carlsson #8.
Up front there is potential. Calvert, Letestu and Vanek are all unrestricted. I think Stenlund is better than Sedlak but they may want to give him some time to see if he can find his offensive game a bit aswell as become familiar with the NA game. Abramov may have to take the long road too, see if Torts views him as another Milano or not

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
There is no chance for development for Stenlund or Abramov under John Madden. Get used to the size of the rink, and pace of the game and then train hard in off season.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I haven't been paying much attention to Abramov this year but apparently he's playing center now? 12/22 on faceoffs tonight according to the QMJHL website.

Yeah, he’s been playing center on and off for most of the second half of the season. Surprising. He is extremely undersized and doubt he will have much of a career after juniors if he’s playing center. He’s fit for the wing. It’s his natural position.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Interesting article from the hockey news . It appears we hit a home run with Jonathan Davidsson

2017 NHL draft do-over: Panel of scouts, execs and GMs redo the first round | The Hockey News

Two players taken well into the second half of the draft would move up significantly. The biggest jump was Djurgarden’s Jonathan Davidsson, selected 170th in the sixth round by Columbus. He'd be an early second-rounder at No. 35 today. And right winger Drake Batherson has played so well this season, he’d be a late first-rounder in a redo of the draft. He was taken in the fourth round, 121st overall, by Ottawa.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Interesting article from the hockey news . It appears we hit a home run with Jonathan Davidsson

2017 NHL draft do-over: Panel of scouts, execs and GMs redo the first round | The Hockey News

Two players taken well into the second half of the draft would move up significantly. The biggest jump was Djurgarden’s Jonathan Davidsson, selected 170th in the sixth round by Columbus. He'd be an early second-rounder at No. 35 today. And right winger Drake Batherson has played so well this season, he’d be a late first-rounder in a redo of the draft. He was taken in the fourth round, 121st overall, by Ottawa.

Eh, but Stenlund is HUGE, I'd rather know what him and Carlsson had for breakfast today...

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Jarmo and the scouting staff have done pretty well the last 2-3 drafts in finding the overage draft prospects playing in Europe... Ranking Jonathan Davidsson as an early 2nd rounder seems a bit high, but he's certainly a good pickup.. I figure he stays another season in Sweden, but maybe not.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
A couple of GWG for the Sherwood brothers this weekend. Kole today for Kitchener and Kiefer yesterday for San Diego AHL.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Way to take your first picture as a pro, lol poor thing. Sue Heck has a competition.

543e441dec7d259601bbf520ab337c8a-full.jpg

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Just got an alert from elite prospects that the jackets signed some kid from Princeton.

Blue Jackets' Eric Robinson: Signs entry-level deal

Robinson -- who just finished his senior season with Princeton -- is expected to join the Blue Jackets on the road in Edmonton. The 22-year-old compiled 17 goals and 14 assists in 36 games for the Tigers this year. While Tuesday's matchup will likely be too soon, don't be surprised to see the winger make his NHL debut at some point during the team's three-game road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad