Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I can think of 5 defensemen from just last draft that are likely to be better than Gavrikov. What a ridiculous statement that he might be the best defensive prospect in the world. He’s a good prospect for Columbus, but come on..

He very well could BE (right now) or BECOME (in the future) the "best" Russian defenseman in the world.

100% serious.

And that would mean he's pretty good.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
He very well could BE (right now) or BECOME (in the future) the "best" Russian defenseman in the world.

100% serious.

4qpv1y.jpg

Lol, there’s only been 10 Russian defensemen that have played in the NHL this season. Gavrikov is definitely not a better defenseman (right now) than Sergachev.. Orlov.. Provorov.. just to name a few off that list (and I’m a huge Gavrikov advocate).

Reactions: Cowumbus

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

100% serious.

Did Sergachev lose a limb? Has Provorov's brain been scrambled?

Gavrikov has plenty of potential. He could be a really, really great top 4 defenseman. But unless he magically learns how to handle the puck like Artemi Panarin, he's not going to be a better blueliner than either of the two players previously mentioned (who are both considerably younger than Gavrikov). Not to mention they've already strutted their stuff in The Show. We've yet to see if Gavrikov will ever actually leave the KHL.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Gavrikov has plenty of potential. He could be a really, really great top 4 defenseman. But unless he magically learns how to handle the puck like Artemi Panarin, he's not going to be a better blueliner than either of the two players previously mentioned (who are both considerably younger than Gavrikov).

Gavrikov is 22
Provorov is 21
Sergachev is 19

Reactions: CBJSTH

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Rasmus Dahlin is the top defense prospect in the world. Anyone who wants to debate that, feel free...

He's going to be a generational talent on defense. Not dissimilar to Erik Karlsson.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Gavrikov is 22
Provorov is 21
Sergachev is 19
Provorov is a year and a couple months younger, Sergachev is more than 2 and a half years younger. Considering their respective ages, that's quite the difference. A young man can develop a ton physically and mentally in that time frame.

Again, I'm NOT discrediting Gavrikov's abilities or potential. It's just really silly to think he might actually be better than Sergachev or Provorov any time soon.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He won't be, but he was drafted the year before Provorov, 1 year. That's not "much older".

He'd be on the 2nd pair in Columbus if he were here now.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
He won't be, but he was drafted the year before Provorov, 1 year. That's not "much older".

He'd be on the 2nd pair in Columbus if he were here now.
Like I said above, a year difference at that age isn't insignificant. It's not like you're comparing players in their 30's.

And even if Gavrikov were on our 2nd pair.. still not as good as Sergachev and Provorov! My goodness. That's all I'm saying here. :help:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
That's a huuge reach.

@spintheblackcircle @Maylo ... I can guarantee you 99.9 percent that if Gavrikov was eligible to come over to NA tomorrow and join the club, he would NOT be with the CBJ. He’d be playing with Cleveland til the end of their season, similar to Z when his season with Michigan was done... but no need to worry about any of this because he is 100 percent not coming and not able to come to NA any time soon.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
@spintheblackcircle @Maylo ... I can guarantee you 99.9 percent that if Gavrikov was eligible to come over to NA tomorrow and join the club, he would NOT be with the CBJ. He’d be playing with Cleveland til the end of their season, similar to Z when his season with Michigan was done... but no need to worry about any of this because he is 100 percent not coming and not able to come to NA any time soon.
I know, they didn't guarantee him a spot when he was here in summer. And we didn't have Cole then and no one knew Kukan "existed".

Personally for me, every record from SKA of any player means shit, because of the way that team is treated.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Rasmus Dahlin is the top defense prospect in the world. Anyone who wants to debate that, feel free...

He's going to be a generational talent on defense. Not dissimilar to Erik Karlsson.

If we lost all the rest we'd have a chance to win the lottery.:sarcasm:

Serious question and I think I know most people's answer but IF it was guaranteed the Jackets would get 1st pick would you take that over the playoffs? I would.:popcorn:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If we lost all the rest we'd have a chance to win the lottery.:sarcasm:

Serious question and I think I know most people's answer but IF it was guaranteed the Jackets would get 1st pick would you take that over the playoffs? I would.:popcorn:

Sure, but some big changes would have to be made. One of Jones/Werenski/Dahlin would have to be dealt for an attractive forward package.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I would not.

Why? Because you believe team doesn't need a potential generational talent? Because you think the playoff experience is invaluable? You believe we can make a deep run this year?

I would do it if possible because I believe that adding a guy like that ensures much more future success than a playoff berth this year. Even if it meant trading one of him, Jones or Werenski for a top notch forward like Matthews, Eichel, that would make the team stronger all over.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Why? Because you believe team doesn't need a potential generational talent? Because you think the playoff experience is invaluable? You believe we can make a deep run this year?

I would do it if possible because I believe that adding a guy like that ensures much more future success than a playoff berth this year. Even if it meant trading one of him, Jones or Werenski for a top notch forward like Matthews, Eichel, that would make the team stronger all over.

Would you rather win the Stanley Cup this year or draft #1 overall next year?

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Would you rather win the Stanley Cup this year or draft #1 overall next year?

Obviously I'd rather win the Cup this year. However, because that is not happening, I would take the pick this year rather than a 1st or 2nd round exit.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If (Dahlin/1st) is the case, "bye bye" Werenski. Not sure people here could handle that. You don't deal Jones in any way.

Going back to Gavrikov, I'll trust my judgement over others.

I'm going to guess these people "bashing" my comments on him are the same people that before, during, and after Carlsson's 5 minute games in the playoffs, were claiming that we were already making, and NEEDED to make room for him in the near future. They said Carlsson > Nutivaara. Same people who I'm sure "bashed" and essentially "scared off" our friendly poster from Finland that came on here with "in-depth" and/or "on location" reporting on just HOW GOOD Nutivaara was and going to be, and how we should ABSOLUTELY stay away from Puljajarvi. Told us how good of a pick Dubois was over Puljajarvi. Dude was trashed for both of these ideas by the fascists (ha sorry, had to) on here. Just imagine now, if we did NOT pick Dubois. And some say Nutivaara is a 3/4 already, who was playing in Finland. Gavrikov is arguably the most important defenseman on arguably the best team not in the NHL.

Just because guys have played juniors in NA and have played in the NHL already at a younger age, doesn't make them better now, or in the future. Russia is clearly different (better) than Sweden/Finland/etc. A perfect example is Panarin. And while he might not have the "offensive skill" or "offensive potential" of guys like Orlov and Sergachev, he's very much so in the 2-way conversation with Zadorov and Provarov. Again, I'm not going to agree with people who overvalue offensive d man. As I'd probably take Zadorov and his 2-way play over the more offensive guys, as these guys aren't THAT much better offensively, and most certainly worse defensively.

Also, just to add, Ryan Murray is 24 years old. There is a point to be made there.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Thing with Gavrikov all I'll say is his defense is elite so no matter what people want to point out about other defenders putting up points... Id rather have an elite defenseman to stop points then a defenseman who is ok at D but puts up points.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Thing with Gavrikov all I'll say is his defense is elite so no matter what people want to point out about other defenders putting up points... Id rather have an elite defenseman to stop points then a defenseman who is ok at D but puts up points.

So Gavrikov over Werenski? Check.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
That's like saying I like 2 way Cs more then passing first Cs that rack up assists and you saying ok Kesler over McDavid check. You can't pick extremes.

Werenski is a defenseman who is OK on defense but puts up numbers. Clearly fits within your parameters.

Maybe you should be more careful about generalizing.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Werenski is a defenseman who is OK on defense but puts up numbers. Clearly fits within your parameters.

Maybe you should be more careful about generalizing.
Puts up the top goals in the league while playing solid D. I wouldn't consider serg or Prov on Zs level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad