Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

KalPa scores 2 goals in the last 4 minutes to tie the game at 2, Texier gets his first assist on the game tying goal with 2 minutes left.

Tells a lot that an 18 year old is on the ice with 2 minutes to go in a top league.

Reactions: Jackets16

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
It's the same Dman he lays out to win the puck along the boards. Poor guy.

In other prospect news, Andrew Peeke is 1-6-7 with a +6 in Notre Dame's first seven games. Here's a pretty nice assist from him against Ohio State:

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Man I'm excited to see this guy in Columbus.
There are two of us, i'm so hyped for him. I wish they had a tape of him on FO and on the boards, he's a beast, his net presence is something else too. Good with passing, and his shot maaan, still needs some work with skating, but for his size it's decent i guess, plus maybe the size of the rink will make a difference.

Last edited:

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
There are two of us, i'm so hyped for him. I wish they had a tape of him on FO and on the boards, he's a beast, his net presence is something else too. Good with passing, and his shot maaan, still needs some work with skating, but for his size is decent i guess, plus maybe the size of the rink will make a difference.
I watched a full HV71 game back in September and he did not lose a single board battle. Every time I post one of his highlights on here I have to remind myself that he's still not a great skater and it's a big jump from the SHL to the NHL so I don't start pontificating on how he'll be a #1C in Columbus as early as next season and make us all forget the name Duchene.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
The fact that his only real deficiency is his skating (and it's not even that bad) is very encouraging. I think Jarmo wasn't ever panicking over Duchene because he sees a bright future for Stenlund, and obviously Dubois still has potential as a C.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I watched a full HV71 game back in September and he did not lose a single board battle. Every time I post one of his highlights on here I have to remind myself that he's still not a great skater and it's a big jump from the SHL to the NHL so I don't start pontificating on how he'll be a #1C in Columbus as early as next season and make us all forget the name Duchene.
do you really think he has 1C upside? his stats seem a little worse than Wennberg, im curious

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
do you really think he has 1C upside? his stats seem a little worse than Wennberg, im curious
The SHL isn't the best league to get an accurate picture of a player based on stats.

Does he have the potential? Absolutely. He's got almost every tool in the shed. The one tool he lacks is the easiest one to fix.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Oh yes he is, this is his first year as 1C on this team, he was injured at the start of the season. HV71 is not the same team that won the title last year, they lost some players so scoring is down a bit, so is their D. Vegas first round 18 overall pick defenseman-Branstram is playing on third line, he's 18.
I mean you need to watch one game to see, he is the guy, He's like Angelina Jolie on the ice, you immediately notice him and his presence. Wennberg shot next to Stenlund is like Bob's puck handling next to Mike Smith.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I personally am hoping for a 3rd line C at best out of him. If I see him playing well in the AHL I'll start to think maybe he has a bottom 6 chance and go from there. He's been developing but at a slow pace and since he wasn' this high completely praised pick I don' have high expectations. I honestly have higher expectations from the French kid as a C he seems to be a speedster with a great set of hands. Stenlund right now is looking like a euro 17yo PLD who is definitely older then current age PLD. Hopefully he can come over to the AHL for playoffs and we can keep him from there to develop and get him on the big club in 2 years.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
If you can find a stream, watch an HV71 game sometime, or even just the development camp scrimmage. His game looks a lot better on tape than on the stat sheet. He's a good playmaker, he knows how to use his size on the boards and in front of the net, he's got a nice shot, and more than anything he just seems to read the game faster than everyone around him. Apart from the skating, there's nothing he doesn't do well. Also, Tulip was on to something with the whole European ice hockey pyramid thing: if a guy plays a big role at a young age for a good team in a good league in Europe, he's probably doing some things right. It's not the be-all end-all like he made it out to be, but it's not nothing, either.

If I'm being honest, I think he probably winds up as a middle-six center a la peak Brandon Dubinsky, but I do think he's got a genuine chance at being that top line center if he keeps progressing like he's done the last few years, and part of the fun of prospects is letting yourself get carried away once in a while.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
If you can find a stream, watch an HV71 game sometime, or even just the development camp scrimmage. His game looks a lot better on tape than on the stat sheet. He's a good playmaker, he knows how to use his size on the boards and in front of the net, he's got a nice shot, and more than anything he just seems to read the game faster than everyone around him. Apart from the skating, there's nothing he doesn't do well. Also, Tulip was on to something with the whole European ice hockey pyramid thing: if a guy plays a big role at a young age for a good team in a good league in Europe, he's probably doing some things right. It's not the be-all end-all like he made it out to be, but it's not nothing, either.

If I'm being honest, I think he probably winds up as a middle-six center a la peak Brandon Dubinsky, but I do think he's got a genuine chance at being that top line center if he keeps progressing like he's done the last few years, and part of the fun of prospects is letting yourself get carried away once in a while.

Just wondering but, how are you able to watch a HV71 game?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
They are not playing until 14Nov (thanks to winter series between Avs and Sens in Sweden) but on onhockey. Adblock highly recommended.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I personally am hoping for a 3rd line C at best out of him. If I see him playing well in the AHL I'll start to think maybe he has a bottom 6 chance and go from there. He's been developing but at a slow pace and since he wasn' this high completely praised pick I don' have high expectations. I honestly have higher expectations from the French kid as a C he seems to be a speedster with a great set of hands. Stenlund right now is looking like a euro 17yo PLD who is definitely older then current age PLD. Hopefully he can come over to the AHL for playoffs and we can keep him from there to develop and get him on the big club in 2 years.
What. Did you even watch the dev camp? Stenlund was easily the best skater on the ice, even over PLD.

Not only that but hes playing in a better league than Texier in a 1C role on his team..

IMO he's our next Johansen if things go right. He's got the size, the shot, the IQ and willingness to drive to the net to make things happen. He has pretty much everything you want in a prospect.

I think everyone knows I'm a huge Wennberg fanboy but I think I'm an even bigger fan of Stenlund. Wennberg's style of play is much more suited for bigger ice where as I think Stenlund could really thrive in smaller tighter spaces on NA ice.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Dude jumped from 2 points to 20 playing third line minutes year later he was drafted, and was signed immediately, his draft # means shit, even though 58 overall is not that far. PLD was intimidated by him in dev camp, and he was playing half trying(no need to make the team this year, already has a contract). I think Davidge spent entire tournament with Awws and Owws on him.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure about setting expectations that Stenlund is a future #1C, but I have my fingers crossed. He seems to excel as the underdog and next year's camp will be interesting with Stenlund vs PLD.

I do agree that Stenlund's skill set makes him better suited for NA and I think he can fit in as a more skilled Sedlak. A center on a Torts team needs to be defensively sound and if Werenski is essentially playing rover, then the center needs to cover for him. The question is whether Stenlund can keep up with offensive wizards like Panarin. The jury is still out on that. But a line of Pararin - Stenlund - Atkinson has someone who can crash the net and dig pucks out along the board better than Wennberg. And he may be able to see the ice and pass as well as Wennberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad