Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How many prospects are we going to have at the WJC?I know Abramov. Other than that..?

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
How many prospects are we going to have at the WJC?I know Abramov. Other than that..?
We only have seven guys with '98 or later birthdays.

Dubois - not going
Texier - will be at the Division I-A tournament with France
Abramov - not sure whether Russia's changed its rules about guys in overseas leagues
Tarasov - I have no clue what Russia's goaltending depth is like but his stats are mid-pack in Russian juniors
Bemstrom - been playing with the Swedish team already
Peeke - could be on the US team
Stucker - probably won't be on the US team

So likely Bemstrom, possibly Abramov, Tarasov and Peeke.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
We only have seven guys with '98 or later birthdays.

Dubois - not going
Texier - will be at the Division I-A tournament with France
Abramov - not sure whether Russia's changed its rules about guys in overseas leagues
Tarasov - I have no clue what Russia's goaltending depth is like but his stats are mid-pack in Russian juniors
Bemstrom - been playing with the Swedish team already
Peeke - could be on the US team
Stucker - probably won't be on the US team

So likely Bemstrom, possibly Abramov, Tarasov and Peeke.

Russia U20 NT never had any issues with NA-based players, so Abramov should be there unless something unexpected happens. Tarasov won't be there though.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Ok here's a question... Yes started off as a what 17yo in that men's French league and now he moved up to a tougher league and still being a youngster is scoring at a great pace... what are the odds he comes to NA next year? Or does he have to let his contract run out first? Him and Stenlund are guys I want over here ASAP to get ready to be on NA ice. I wish we could do something to get Gavrikov over here too now that Russia is out of the Olympics.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Ok here's a question... Yes started off as a what 17yo in that men's French league and now he moved up to a tougher league and still being a youngster is scoring at a great pace... what are the odds he comes to NA next year? Or does he have to let his contract run out first? Him and Stenlund are guys I want over here ASAP to get ready to be on NA ice. I wish we could do something to get Gavrikov over here too now that Russia is out of the Olympics.

Am I the only one who thinks that Gavrikov at the cost of ELC will be more useful in 2019 than now?

Reactions: Xoggz22

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

Tex seems like a guy (kid) who you don’t rush. I would almost say there’s about a 95 percent chance that he continues to develop with KalPa next season. There’s a decent chance that we see him make the jump to NA ice after the 2018-2019 season ends. Just my personal opinion.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks that Gavrikov at the cost of ELC will be more useful in 2019 than now?
Our D outside of the top pair looks rough right now. JJ and Savard are regressing hard and Murray and Nuti are hurt. Carlson is stuck playing with Harrington and while Harry can play a game or 2 fill in any more then that and he hurts us much more then helps us. Bringing in Gav at least gives us a stabilizer and we can then move JJ or Savard once Murray and Nuti are healthy. But he helps us now more then in 2 years.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Our D outside of the top pair looks rough right now. JJ and Savard are regressing hard and Murray and Nuti are hurt. Carlson is stuck playing with Harrington and while Harry can play a game or 2 fill in any more then that and he hurts us much more then helps us. Bringing in Gav at least gives us a stabilizer and we can then move JJ or Savard once Murray and Nuti are healthy. But he helps us now more then in 2 years.

That's assuming that he steps in as a rookie and is better than practically all the folks you just named. Could happen, but I don't think it's as definite/likely as you're making it sound.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Russia U20 NT never had any issues with NA-based players, so Abramov should be there unless something unexpected happens. Tarasov won't be there though.
I thought that was the reason he didn't go last year? I could be wrong.

Also, Peeke is on the US preliminary roster. Stucker (unsurprisingly) was not.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I thought that was the reason he didn't go last year? I could be wrong.

Also, Peeke is on the US preliminary roster. Stucker (unsurprisingly) was not.

Last year Russia U20 NT had plenty of NA-based guys on the roster. The issue with Abramov was that he failed to impress at the last year's Can/Rus Series and coaches decided that he is not ready yet... which in the end didn't look like a great thought, as Abramov looked much better around the WJC.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Potentially dumb question, but why is Abramov's contract 50-man exempt but Sherwood and Fortier's (both also in the CHL) aren't?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So now that rosters have been released, is it just Peeke for USA that we have representing?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Seems like Russia will announce NA players a bit later, so Abramov still likely gets the call.

Okay good. I was puzzled by him being left off, but I had no idea they announced Russian and NA playing Russian's separately.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Very little odds he comes to NA in 2018. He just turned 18 3 months ago anyways.. It seems like he's starting to adjust to Liiga play quite well this past month though..
In my opinion- Let him honor his 2 year contract to KalPa. He's getting good minutes in a top level professional hockey league in Europe. There's no need to rush getting him to play in the AHL Let him continue to develop, assess the situation in another year.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well the thing is he showed he could not only hang with but excel in first the French men's league and now liga. I can understand 1 more year maybe but no more then that. We have to get him on the smaller NA ice and in am even better league (the AHL) sooner then later. He's a smaller guy still and playing on big ice in a less physical league is going to work well for him we need to have him learn how the game is going to be played here and help him develop properly now that we know he can play at all levels over there. No rush to get him in the NHL but I am in a hurry to get him to the top development league and on proper ice asap. If he came to the AHL next year I could see him playing here at 21-22.The longer he stays in Europe the slower he will develop because his size imo.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Well the thing is he showed he could not only hang with but excel in first the French men's league and now liga. I can understand 1 more year maybe but no more then that. We have to get him on the smaller NA ice and in am even better league (the AHL) sooner then later. He's a smaller guy still and playing on big ice in a less physical league is going to work well for him we need to have him learn how the game is going to be played here and help him develop properly now that we know he can play at all levels over there. No rush to get him in the NHL but I am in a hurry to get him to the top development league and on proper ice asap. If he came to the AHL next year I could see him playing here at 21-22.The longer he stays in Europe the slower he will develop because his size imo.
He's not small, and knows how to throw his body around. His size shouldn't bear any weight in this decision. Because he's coming from a non-traditional hockey market, it is important for him to catch up in development and not be overwhelmed with competition. He's doing well with KalPa, and his timetable for coming to NA will reveal itself. He's one of the most raw prospects out there and needs to be brought along slowly.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He's not small, and knows how to throw his body around. His size shouldn't bear any weight in this decision. Because he's coming from a non-traditional hockey market, it is important for him to catch up in development and not be overwhelmed with competition. He's doing well with KalPa, and his timetable for coming to NA will reveal itself. He's one of the most raw prospects out there and needs to be brought along slowly.
You know what I'm off I was thinking for some reason he was a like 5'10 kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Exactly. Plus, it's a bit too early for us (prospect fans) to worry about in my opinion. Yes, he had a very good month of November with increased ice time in Liiga.. But, I don't think that necessarily means "he is excelling in Liiga and needs to be over in Cleveland next season. Several prospects have a good couple weeks to be followed by a dip in their play (not saying that will happen) His play is certainly promising, but I'd like to see how he continues to perform for the rest of the season. But, I imagine management will have him continue to play for KalPa next season as well.

Just out of curiosity (I don't see it happening)- Could the Jackets even get Texier out of his contract with KalPa next season if they desperately wanted him to play in North America?

In other stat's news for CBJ prospects overseas Kevin Stenlund- 6 points in 19 SHL games thus far. Johnathan Davidsson- 13 points in 25 SHL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad