CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Thad Matta out effective immediately.

I can't figure out why Gene Smith would have announced this the way that he did, which is basically that recruiting in the last three months took him from a vote of confidence to wanting to make a (very expensive) change. And I think after 13 years, Matta has done enough to earn the right to have the "stepping down for medical reasons" announcement.

There's little question that the program had stagnated, and that a change was probably warranted. But I don't see any issue with Smith standing up there and basically saying, "We talked last Friday, and Thad expressed concern that his chronic and severe back issues have limited him to a greater extent than has been publicly known. We discussed the future of the program at great length, and he admitted that he was at a point where it was becoming physically impossible to dedicate himself to the program to the extent that he believes should be the standard. With this in mind, he is stepping down as head coach, effective immediately, and we will begin a nationwide search for our new head coach at the conclusion of this press conference."

Then Matta can basically say, "My back has gotten worse over the last two or three years, and the nature of this job precludes me from being able to rest long enough to heal. My assistant coaches have taken on an increasingly great burden to pick up what I am currently unable to do, and it's not fair to either them or to the kids in our program to be put into this situation on a daily basis. The doctors have recommended that I take a year off from coaching in order to not risk further, and possibly irreparable, damage to my back. It wouldn't be fair to anyone if I were to remain in this position as an absentee coach; they deserve a clear direction going forward. So with all of this in mind, I am resigning as head coach, but I'm not going away. I will be assisting with the coaching search to ensure that the right man is taking over."

Doing this would allow both parties to save face, it would provide a bit of additional context for what's happened in the last couple of years, and it allows the perception to exist that Matta's health (obviously a factor outside of anyone's control) has fueled the stagnation of the program.

But that's just me.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Seems like a botched way of doing it. Maybe Matta didn't want to play the health card and wanted the world to know he had been ousted. Who knows?

On a more practical matter where in hell do you find a top notch coach at this time of year? Most are recruiting heavily for the early signing period and many of the top guys have already committed.

And what about the guys who have committed? Will they stay or will they go?

I never liked Matta as a bench coach. He used to be a great recruiter but that has waned the past few years. Time for him to go but why not at the end of last season?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I can't figure out why Gene Smith would have announced this the way that he did, which is basically that recruiting in the last three months took him from a vote of confidence to wanting to make a (very expensive) change. And I think after 13 years, Matta has done enough to earn the right to have the "stepping down for medical reasons" announcement.

There's little question that the program had stagnated, and that a change was probably warranted. But I don't see any issue with Smith standing up there and basically saying, "We talked last Friday, and Thad expressed concern that his chronic and severe back issues have limited him to a greater extent than has been publicly known. We discussed the future of the program at great length, and he admitted that he was at a point where it was becoming physically impossible to dedicate himself to the program to the extent that he believes should be the standard. With this in mind, he is stepping down as head coach, effective immediately, and we will begin a nationwide search for our new head coach at the conclusion of this press conference."

Then Matta can basically say, "My back has gotten worse over the last two or three years, and the nature of this job precludes me from being able to rest long enough to heal. My assistant coaches have taken on an increasingly great burden to pick up what I am currently unable to do, and it's not fair to either them or to the kids in our program to be put into this situation on a daily basis. The doctors have recommended that I take a year off from coaching in order to not risk further, and possibly irreparable, damage to my back. It wouldn't be fair to anyone if I were to remain in this position as an absentee coach; they deserve a clear direction going forward. So with all of this in mind, I am resigning as head coach, but I'm not going away. I will be assisting with the coaching search to ensure that the right man is taking over."

Doing this would allow both parties to save face, it would provide a bit of additional context for what's happened in the last couple of years, and it allows the perception to exist that Matta's health (obviously a factor outside of anyone's control) has fueled the stagnation of the program.

But that's just me.

I agree, he deserved that, at least.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

But that's just me.

I think a lot of us would have liked to have seen it play out that way. But I'm wondering how the that works with the contract. My understanding is that Thad will receive the remaining balance. Would he be entitled to that if he retired or resigned? Or does it require he be dismissed in order to receive it? And might the "mutually agreed it was time for a change" be the closest they could come for Thad to still be paid his remaining years?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I think a lot of us would have liked to have seen it play out that way. But I'm wondering how the that works with the contract. My understanding is that Thad will receive the remaining balance. Would he be entitled to that if he retired or resigned? Or does it require he be dismissed in order to receive it? And might the "mutually agreed it was time for a change" be the closest they could come for Thad to still be paid his remaining years?

Good point.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

This is something I was wondering about as well, only because we don't know the language of the contract. So we don't know if there's any type of offset language, or anything else that would work to OSU's financial benefit in the event that he takes a job elsewhere.

If there is such language, or if OSU stands the chance of mitigating any type of financial hit, then today becomes even more baffling. It would be in their best interests to get Matta on his way as quickly as possible in order to eliminate at least some of what's owed to him, in which case making it publicly known that he was fired isn't going to help that. If it's presented in a way that he's been suffering from a non-cardiac medical condition that requires significant downtime, and thus is stepping away, it means that several schools will come calling sooner rather than later. And then if one hires him, OSU's financial hit is diminished. Again, this is all if such language exists.

That said, I think the only thing that matters is what's on the actual termination paperwork. If he's fired on the paperwork but it's publicly said that he was stepping down or aside for medical reasons, it wouldn't affect a buyout or a remaining balance either way. They could say that he's stepping down because he's developed a theory that little green men made of molten copper are controlling the world's governments, but if it's still listed as terminated on the paperwork, it still wouldn't affect things.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Only theory that makes any sense was Thad had 1 more year and Gene was calling around trying to get a coach-in-waiting to come aboard. Maybe one of those candidates or maybe another coach heard about it and said let's go. Gene goes back to Thad, agrees to pay him balance of contract and likely does something in Athletic Department.

Now if Gene doesn't have someone lined up then it's really baffling.

But Gene Smith is great at hiring coaches, no other person do I want in charge. Team will be bad for a couple seasons, but get right coach (who can recruit) and we'll be fine.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This does not surprise me. I went to 1 game in the new building and first thing I thought was what a terrible arena/atmosphere for a major college sports venue.

Ohio State was lucky to have Matta......they will be irrelevant for years IMO

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
This does not surprise me. I went to 1 game in the new building and first thing I thought was what a terrible arena/atmosphere for a major college sports venue.

The whole thing is a joke. They built Value City Arena to monopolize the arena market in central Ohio, they built luxury suites and club seating in defiance of the original mandate, they've hosted non-college and non-OHSAA events for two decades in defiance of the original mandate, they've used public taxpayer backing to compete against a private business (Nationwide Arena)....and all they did was put their hockey team into a place that struggles to draw 20% capacity and their basketball team into a morgue.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The whole thing is a joke. They built Value City Arena to monopolize the arena market in central Ohio, they built luxury suites and club seating in defiance of the original mandate, they've hosted non-college and non-OHSAA events for two decades in defiance of the original mandate, they've used public taxpayer backing to compete against a private business (Nationwide Arena)....and all they did was put their hockey team into a place that struggles to draw 20% capacity and their basketball team into a morgue.

spot on Mayor

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The suites and club seats don't bother me. There's a market for such seating for big-time college revenue sports. Hockey being at the Schott doesn't bother me at all. Heck, the Jackets' farm team is a hockey team playing in a big-time basketball arena. Also, the crowds aren't much different than what women's basketball (who also plays there) draws.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Figured I'd ask if anyone here has been to Progressive Field? If so do you have any advice about visiting like concession options/prices, places around the park, things to check out ect.? Also if I go to a grocery store in NE Ohio am I likely to find Skyline (any time I go to Ohio I always look for Skyline as it's amazing)?

Did you visit already or are you still looking for advice?

Sorry for not replying earlier, but the last month has been busy for me.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
The next OSU basketball hire is crucial. If they don't get it correct, the winter sports scene in Columbus could be totally taken over by the Blue Jackets.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Ohio State was lucky to have Matta......they will be irrelevant for years IMO

Agree that it's not a building that creates a good atmosphere or even good sight lines. At the risk of being too old school, give me St John Arena any day for hoops over VCA.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Meh. The only reason I ever had to care about Buckeye basketball was that my grandfather supposedly taught some of the guys on the 1960 championship team and so followed it on occasion, so that gave us something other than weevils to talk about.

He's 93 years old (as of yesterday) and has had multiple strokes in the last few years, tho, so, yeah, right back to not caring.*

*: about basketball, that is; I still love my Grandpa, even through he barely notices when we're there. :(

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Early look at NFL TV in Columbus (Browns/Bengals/Steelers) this season (assuming no games flexed between kickoff times or networks):

Week 1 - Browns and Bengals both on CBS at 1. Bengals game not the slam dunk selection it may seem to be since the Browns are playing the Steelers.

Week 2 - Bengals on NFLN Thursday at 8:25. Browns on 10 at 1. Steelers on 28 at 1.

Week 3 - Ohio DH on 10 (Browns at 1, Bengals at 4:25). Steelers conflict with Browns on CBS at 1.

Week 4 - Browns vs. Bengals on 10 at 1. Steelers conflict on CBS at 1.

Week 5 - Both Ohio teams on at 1 (Bengals on 10, Browns on 28). Steelers conflict with Bengals on CBS at 1.

Week 6 - Browns on 10 at 1, followed by Steelers at 4:25. Bengals bye week.

Week 7 - Bengals-Steelers likely on 10 at 1. Browns conflict on CBS at 1.

Week 8 - Browns on NFLN at 9:30 AM. Bengals on 10 at 1. Steelers on 4 at 8:30.

Week 9 - Bengals on 10 at 1. Browns and Steelers bye weeks.

Week 10 - Both Ohio teams on at 1 (Browns on 10, Bengals on 28). Steelers conflict with Browns on CBS at 1.

Week 11 - Steelers on 4 Thursday at 8:25. Ohio DH on 10 (Browns at 1, Bengals at 4:25).

Week 12 - Browns vs. Bengals on 10 at 1. Steelers on 4 at 8:30.

Week 13 - Browns on 10 at 4:05 if NFL will allow Columbus a late game against the FOX doubleheader late game. Steelers vs. Bengals on ESPN Monday at 8:30.

Week 14 - Bengals likely over Browns on 28 at 1. Steelers on 4 at 8:30.

Week 15 - Bengals likely over Browns on 10 at 1. Steelers on 10 at 4:25.

Week 16 - Both Ohio teams on at 1 (Browns on 10, Bengals on 28). Steelers on 4 Monday (Christmas) at 4:30.

Week 17 - Too many variables to accurately predict. If 10 has a choice, they will probably take the Bengals if they have a good season, but if they don't, the combined Browns and Steelers fanbases probably get that game aired.

Postseason note: 6 will be simulcasting ESPN's coverage of the Pro Bowl as well as the 4:30 Wild Card Saturday game this year.

Preseason note: No team-produced telecasts of Browns-Giants Week 2 (ESPN) and Bengals-Redskins Week 3 (28).

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
It pretty much boils down to irrational hatred of the owner.

Seriously, on the morning of game seven of the World Series, there were people tweeting about how they don't care about the Indians because they don't like Dolan (they feel he is cheap).

Even post-Encarnacion signing, you hear it up here from time to time.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Wow. I hope the Myles Garrett injury isn't too serious. Unfortunately, that would totally be a Browns thing to happen to them if it was.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It pretty much boils down to irrational hatred of the owner.

Seriously, on the morning of game seven of the World Series, there were people tweeting about how they don't care about the Indians because they don't like Dolan (they feel he is cheap).

Even post-Encarnacion signing, you hear it up here from time to time.
I don't ever hear anything about people hating the owner? I mean they aren't the Jacobs family but I never hear anyone trash talk. The Indians habe always been cheap and thats why we haven't won no matter how close we get. I mean look at the late 90s. They let mann y and Thome walk and Thome begged them to just come close to what Philly offered and he would stay and they wouldn't. They let Belle walk before that. Then we get back to back Cy Young pitchers and what do we do? Trade them off the following year both times getting absolutely nothing in return. CC brought in nothing and Lee brought in some ok prospects. Victor Martinez was here from the time he was 16 and they traded him and he sat in the coaches office crying begging them to undo it because he loves Cleveland he had been there since he said they saved his life by signing him and they said it was because rhey weren't going to be able to afford to resign him. He begged them not to. So yeah we are in a up swing now but it's because being so bad and drafting. We might lose lindor here soon because he wants paid and will deserve it.

And they have taken out seats BUT they have added seats elsewhere and have done a lot of cool things to the park with the hall of fame stuff. The statues. They had like a Bob feller museum type thing in there. Its IMO one of the top 10 stadiums in the league. There is a reason we are getting the all-star game next year. I'm going to the HR derby and AS game.

One thing is though there are a lot of truly ****** CLE fans in my opinion because how ****ing greedy they were with game 7. They sold off so many tickets for extreme prices to cubs fans it was like a 50 50 crowd split that night and I was there as someone who got tickets sold late directly to Indians fans because how many cubs fans were confirmed going. Those fans wanting that extra however much money likely cost their team a world series.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Can somebody help me with some perspective?

I don't follow soccer (futbol), but I know that the Crew went to Cincinnati and lost to Cincinnati FC. Columbus fans are somewhere between ho hum, annoyed/ashamed and ready to march on the Mayor's Office over this.

Is this akin to USA v. Russia in 1980, or Buster Douglas v. Mike Tyson, or Appy State v. Michigan, or Alabama vs. Cleveland Browns, or the local Pop Werner's v. New England Patriots?

Please don't be disappointed if I still don't care once you tell me. I'm just curious how this all works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad