CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
They got a decent bench scorer/defender, a top pick who won't help them keep LeBron James nor make any meaningful impact until at least 3 years from now, a prospect big man, and a small guard who has had two good seasons coming off a major injury and is still not healthy yet and is unknown to be healthy when the season starts, and when he returns to health might not be in the best shape and possibly not the same player he was before the injury.

For Kyrie Irving, a superstar scorer, clutch and big time performer, and to a conference rival who has vastly improved AND plaed in the ECF last year.

Yeah, that's a bad deal. The only thing of value was the draft pick. If I was Cleveland I would have held out for Tatum or Brown in addition to the pick, Thomas, and Crowder. If they wouldn't do it the rumored deal with the Suns seemed interesting, and even though Phoenix was unwilling to do the deal today, possibly they would have during the season. Which brings me to my next point of the Cavs didn't have to trade Kyrie even though he wanted out. It wasn't a toxic thing. I bet if the season started he would have reported to camp and would have had a big boy talk with LeBron and smoothed things out enough where things could have been professional.

I wouldn't have dealt Kyrie without a young potential star coming back (Tatum, Brown, or Jackson), a proven NBA point guard (Thomas, Bledsoe), and some bench help (Crowder). I would have also tried to unload horrible salary (Shumpert), but that would probably not happen. I wouldn't trade a superstar unless I got a huge deal.

There are a few things happening in my mind:

1. It was good for Boston -- they upgraded their point guard who has an additional year and isn't quite the liability on defense that Thomas was. They also got to keep their Laker's pick and Tatum/Brown. In my mind, the Cavs asked for Tatum/Brown and took the Brooklyn first instead. Good trade for the Celtics. The cost was a little steep, but they had the assets to do it. I think there was some head-scratching on why they didn't trade for George/Butler, but I think the Hayward signing addresses that.

2. This was a great return for a star player who publicly demanded out with a published list of preferred teams. Phoenix is building around Jackson -- they won't trade him for two years of Kyrie. I think this was probably the best deal they were going to get. Perhaps if it wasn't made public, they might have received more, but we'll never know now.

3. Jae Crowder is an above-average small forward who is on a steal of a contract that goes on for another three years. He can also slide to the power forward position in a small-ball lineup and he is a 40% shooter from downtown who also plays defense.

4. Antic showed some decent flashes last year. He can back up Thompson and Frye

5. The Brooklyn pick is good insurance for when LeBron leaves. Brooklyn won't be very good this year, but neither will the rest of the bottom of the East. Then ext draft is shaping up to be good. Alternatively, they could package this in a mid-season trade for someone at the deadline.

6. Thomas is a clear downgrade from Kyrie and coming off hip surgery. He is still a great player and Rose will be backing him up. I can't imagine they would give him a max contract, and I think he walks at the end of the year.

7. The Cavs saved $30 million in luxury taxes.

In a vacuum, this isn't a particularly good trade for the Cavs. It's always about the circumstances

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
So, how popular is MLS' new review system going to be? :laugh:

I mean, if it helps correct bad calls, then good. I just find it funny that the Crew game tonight has a already a red card reviewed, followed by a review to see if they should have a PK, followed by a review of LA's goal (it was disallowed).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There are a few things happening in my mind:

1. It was good for Boston -- they upgraded their point guard who has an additional year and isn't quite the liability on defense that Thomas was. They also got to keep their Laker's pick and Tatum/Brown. In my mind, the Cavs asked for Tatum/Brown and took the Brooklyn first instead. Good trade for the Celtics. The cost was a little steep, but they had the assets to do it. I think there was some head-scratching on why they didn't trade for George/Butler, but I think the Hayward signing addresses that.

2. This was a great return for a star player who publicly demanded out with a published list of preferred teams. Phoenix is building around Jackson -- they won't trade him for two years of Kyrie. I think this was probably the best deal they were going to get. Perhaps if it wasn't made public, they might have received more, but we'll never know now.

3. Jae Crowder is an above-average small forward who is on a steal of a contract that goes on for another three years. He can also slide to the power forward position in a small-ball lineup and he is a 40% shooter from downtown who also plays defense.

4. Antic showed some decent flashes last year. He can back up Thompson and Frye

5. The Brooklyn pick is good insurance for when LeBron leaves. Brooklyn won't be very good this year, but neither will the rest of the bottom of the East. Then ext draft is shaping up to be good. Alternatively, they could package this in a mid-season trade for someone at the deadline.

6. Thomas is a clear downgrade from Kyrie and coming off hip surgery. He is still a great player and Rose will be backing him up. I can't imagine they would give him a max contract, and I think he walks at the end of the year.

7. The Cavs saved $30 million in luxury taxes.

In a vacuum, this isn't a particularly good trade for the Cavs. It's always about the circumstances

1. Agreed. If they were smart they would have done a deal for Butler/George AND signed Hayward. One of them, Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford is big time.

2. It was a bad return for a franchise that has spiraled downwards since winning a title. Thomas is coming off a serious injury, isn't even healthy yet, and has only played like an elite player for two seasons. He is small, bullied defensively, and a ball hog. Yes, I know Kyrie loved to dribble and hold the ball himself, but Kyrie is elite and you can tolerate it from an elite player. Thomas is good. Will he be effective without the ball? I doubt it.

Also he's a FA after this year, and if/when LeBron leaves/does his usual dramatics every summer Thomas will likely leave.

3. Jae Crowder is a good piece and will help this year. I agree. However, he shouldn't have been the only bench help in the deal.

4. Remember when Sasha Kaun was supposed to be a good player? He was pretty good in Euro.

5. Probably the best piece in the deal is the pick. If/when LeBron leaves the pick and Love will be the centerpieces of a rebuild.

It's funny how Love was the one kicked around in Cleveland (deservedly so) but he will likely be the star in 2 years. If he even stays.

6. Agree here.

7. That doesn't help them win now or convince LeBron to stay. Isn't that the main goals? If its not, then might as well try and trade dead weight like Shumpert, Jefferson, and maybe even JR Smith.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
dnsAjG0.jpg

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
The Cavs are asking for additional assets in the trade. It would be interesting if the trade fell through, for both teams.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Is it Thursday yet?

Thankfully I have hockey tomorrow but Thursday is gonna be a long day waiting for kickoff!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I could have sworn they said the offense was going to stop sucking now.

EDIT: okay a little better now

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
You serious, Clark?

Yep. JT is OK at best. Dobbins looked good. Getting Weber back will help. However, they have no WR or TE that is of any threat. The best player on offense other than Dobbins was Campbell, who played a Curtis Samuel type role. That won't be enough, as we know from last year.

We'll probably get smashed by Oklahoma.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

Please keep the typical Buckeye fan habits relegated only to the Buckeyes. For the rest of our sake(s), do not let those habits creep over into your Blue Jackets Fandom.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yep. JT is OK at best. Dobbins looked good. Getting Weber back will help. However, they have no WR or TE that is of any threat. The best player on offense other than Dobbins was Campbell, who played a Curtis Samuel type role. That won't be enough, as we know from last year.

Yep, 36 points in the second half done by a bunch of so-so's. Dixon td catch & run was a fluke, Williams averaged 6 yds a carry, Barrett showed flashes of his running brilliance and even threw some pretty good passes.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I'm concerned about JT and vertical passing game as well. But few drops last night. I have no doubt if JT struggles that we'll see Haskins or Tate get a shot.

I think there are quite a few playmakers, but problem is rotating in 6 guys will be tough. You don't see elit receivers being shuffled in and out, but my guess is the coaches will play a lot of guys early and see who steps up and leter this season the depth will be nice but be more of a normal rotation.

I personally think we'll take care of OK pretty easily. The IU QB was really good and the WR was great. I think we'll get pressure on Mayfield and the offense will do enough.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Dobbins looked real good. His jump cuts are just NASTY. Broke a couple big runs. Really think he can be a play-maker for us. He also had a couple carries where he was able to bounce off a tackler and get some extra yards. It was tough for me to gauge his long-range speed (holding top speed for 35 yards downfield and not wearing out). Granted Dobbins missed almost all of 2016 with an injury. I also tend to think having Weber in there to help spell him some carries during the game will help him out as well.

I'm not exactly sold on Ohio State's WR's yet, Barrett being excellent.. But, I don't want to really give up on them just after 1 game. Think there's a bit of potential there (we'll see if they get there).

Also, I think their defense will keep them in most games. Ohio State's defensive line is super stacked/deep that they can rotate several guys in.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Dobbins is going to be a stud

Still a little iffy on our receivers' play. They were having a tough time getting open in the first half down field, but it seemed like we made a few adjustments at halftime and began running more rub and mesh routes over the middle of the field which worked well. If Campbell makes those two catches in the first half, we're having a different conversation. I'll save judgement on the WR play till after next week's game.

Our defensive line is amazing. They're going to man-handle Oklahoma's blocking next week, just like last season. This may be the best group of linemen we've seen at Ohio State. Incredibly impressed by them.

I think the only real concern I have is the secondary. They were getting torched, especially in the first half. Now of course that could be because of inexperience. Also this is not meant to discredit the great play by Lagow and their top WR. They're probably the top QB/WR duo in the Big Ten.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Please keep the typical Buckeye fan habits relegated only to the Buckeyes. For the rest of our sake(s), do not let those habits creep over into your Blue Jackets Fandom.

Every Buckeye fan I know is in a good mood today, saying that "we're a second half team." So, not sure what this means.

I realize it was game 1, but they're ranked 2nd in the country and were in a battle until the 4th quarter with Indiana (!) with Oklahoma coming in next week. If that's not a time for alarm bells, then I don't know when is.

Yep, 36 points in the second half done by a bunch of so-so's. Dixon td catch & run was a fluke, Williams averaged 6 yds a carry, Barrett showed flashes of his running brilliance and even threw some pretty good passes.

They played Indiana.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Dobbins is going to be a stud

Still a little iffy on our receivers' play. They were having a tough time getting open in the first half down field, but it seemed like we made a few adjustments at halftime and began running more rub and mesh routes over the middle of the field which worked well. If Campbell makes those two catches in the first half, we're having a different conversation. I'll save judgement on the WR play till after next week's game.

Our defensive line is amazing. They're going to man-handle Oklahoma's blocking next week, just like last season. This may be the best group of linemen we've seen at Ohio State. Incredibly impressed by them.

I think the only real concern I have is the secondary. They were getting torched, especially in the first half. Now of course that could be because of inexperience. Also this is not meant to discredit the great play by Lagow and their top WR. They're probably the top QB/WR duo in the Big Ten.

I'll say one thing about the OSU receivers, if they get open, then hang on to the ball, they have some balls to the wall speed. There were a few times they made the IU D look like they were standing still.

Also, though IU is not in OSU's skill strata, they are not your daddy's Hoosiers anymore. They are going to win some games this season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
They played Indiana.

Also, though IU is not in OSU's skill strata, they are not your daddy's Hoosiers anymore. They are going to win some games this season.

I'm with DR. F on this. Those receivers for Indiana are awesome. The QB was great in the first half and they had a couple of other studs. I think the Bucks just wore them down with depth and size along the lines. I won't be surprised to see Indiana win 8 games this year.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Many Big Ten schools have significant OOC rivals:

The School Up North: Notre Dame:
Michigan State: Notre Dame
Maryland: Virginia (plus long histories with other ACC schools due to former membership in that conference)
Penn State: Pittsburgh (among other major schools in the Northeast)
Purdue: Notre Dame
Illinois: Missouri
Indiana: Kentucky
Northwestern: Duke (a more recent one)
Nebraska: Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma (plus long histories with other former Big 12 rivals)

If Cincinnati were to join the Big 12 or ACC, I'd like OSU to start playing them every year, perhaps for a Paul Brown Trophy which would honor football in the entire state of Ohio (he once coached Massillon Washington High, OSU who he lead to a national title, and helped create the Browns and Bengals). It helps that Luke Fickell who has OSU connections is now Cincy's coach.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
how bout these Indians? Nothing to sneeze at.

Can a more knowledgeable fan than I tell me what's up with Brantley?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:banghead:

Can we please move on from JT Barrett and just finally stop referring to him as a star player? At the risk of engaging in the sort of annoying hyperbole that I normally condemn other folks for, he's establishing himself in my head as "a Justin Zwick that can run". Certainly getting the same sort of sick feeling every time I see him going for a pass play, or any time the play breaks down and he has to do Something On The Fly.

EDIT: annnnnd then he throws an interception. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->