CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Closer to the Clippers beating a Cleveland Indians lineup consisting of half major-league backups and half veterans who get cut at the end of spring training (and not as concerned about winning the game as the Clippers).

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I'm not sure I'd go that far. I think it was more like the Clippers beating an Indians line-up during a spring training split squad matchup.

But really embarrassing for the Crew to lose outright. And Berhalter has to go. Enough is enough.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I didnt know he was 6'7 280. He is a beast of a man. I was 6'4 275 in my prime at 18 and could hit like... 450ft max with the wind blowing out in high altitude with the world's best engineered metal bat. Judge could hit 520ft with a stick he found in his back yard after a mild rain storm. Seriously it doesn't look like he is even barely swinging. The leverage he gets from using his size and powering through those tree trunks he calls legs is astounding. If he can stay healthy he is the next big name in the home run catagory of history.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
One Cavaliers preseason game is known from other teams' releases:

10/13 at Orlando - 7:00

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/magic-release-2017-preseason-schedule

Also, based on the Monsters schedule, I expect Cavs night games on these days (Monsters 1:00 games):

10/21
10/28
11/24 (Black Friday)
12/9
12/23
2/3

2/4 is also a 1:00 faceoff, but that's because of it being on Super Bowl Sunday (allow fans to get home in time to watch the entire game).

By the way, all of the dates listed above may all be regular season games as the preseason schedule releases thus far seem to hint at the NBA regular season starting on the week of October 16.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Going from the top of the mountain to colossal mess in the span of a year is pretty impressive.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Going from the top of the mountain to colossal mess in the span of a year is pretty impressive.

Mismanagement is nothing new in Cleveland.

The inability to come to an agreement with their GM was really... not good.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Mismanagement is nothing new in Cleveland.

The inability to come to an agreement with their GM was really... not good.

What was the issue there? I don't get much NBA exposure being in Pittsburgh even though I'm a cavs fan. Gilbert spent so much on the roster, why couldn't he come to terms with the gm?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
What was the issue there? I don't get much NBA exposure being in Pittsburgh even though I'm a cavs fan. Gilbert spent so much on the roster, why couldn't he come to terms with the gm?

He's cheap, a bit arrogant, and vindictive as hell. That somehow managed to go a whole two years without shooting himself in the foot is a minor miracle

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
He's cheap, a bit arrogant, and vindictive as hell. That somehow managed to go a whole two years without shooting himself in the foot is a minor miracle

weird how he'd pay record-setting luxury taxes but wouldn't pony up for the guy who put the group together. Man that sucks. Seems like this is falling apart as quickly as it came together.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
weird how he'd pay record-setting luxury taxes but wouldn't pony up for the guy who put the group together. Man that sucks. Seems like this is falling apart as quickly as it came together.

Yeah supposedly Irving had been considering asking for a trade before now but Griffin kept him happy by carefully managing the player's ego and playing time. Griffin gone meant Irving gone.

Griffin was also a major reason why Lebron came back. Wouldn't be surprised if he moves on too.

I don't even really like the Cavs all that much and I know Dan Gilbert is a moron.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jordan Speith goes 5 under on last 5 to win the British Open. Great performance.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jordan Spieth is an amazing competitor. He was on the ropes going into the back 9 and looked dead in the water following a tee shot which would have embarrassed your average 12 handicapper. Then he switched gears like nobody's business.

Going 5 under for holes 14-17 in the final round to win a major is unheard of.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Here we go, Brownies, here we go! Woof! Woof!

I mean, after going 1-19 last year (including 0-4 in pre-season), there's nowhere to go but up, right? RIGHT?!?!

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Cavaliers games on FSO alt in Columbus

10/6 Pacers (Preseason)
10/10 Bulls (Preseason)
10/13 @ Magic (Preseason)
10/17 Celtics (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
10/21 Magic
10/28 @ Pelicans
11/7 Bucks
11/11 @ Mavericks
11/17 Clippers
11/20 @ Pistons
11/22 Nets
11/24 Hornets
11/27 @ 76ers
11/28 Heat
12/2 Grizzlies
12/8 @ Pacers
12/9 76ers
12/12 Hawks
12/14 Lakers (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
12/16 Jazz
12/21 Bulls
12/27 @ Kings (possible - games three hours apart)
1/2 Trail Blazers
1/8 @ Timberwolves
1/11 @ Raptors (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
1/12 @ Pacers
1/18 Magic
1/23 @ Spurs (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
1/30 @ Pistons (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
2/6 @ Magic
2/9 @ Hawks
2/13 @ Thunder (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
2/22 Wizards (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
3/1 76ers (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
3/9 @ Clippers (possible - games 3.5 hours apart)
3/15 @ Trail Blazers (possible - games three hours apart)
3/17 @ Bulls
3/19 Bucks (game also on ESPN)
3/27 @ Heat (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)
4/3 Raptors
4/5 Wizards (game on TNT, may not air on FSO)

I only included Blue Jacket conflicts. I am not sure who has priority in Columbus between Xavier and the Cavs.

Are the NBA TV Cavs broadcasts blacked out in Columbus? If not, I can list that as a possibility for games on the alt channel also airing on NBA TV.

By the way, am I the only person frustrated that FSO airs all Cavs preseason games and none of the Jackets exhibitions?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Less than 2 weeks until OSU kicks off against Indiana.

For anyone who didn't know, ESPN is doing a Megacast for the game .They're having a special Thursday edition gameday for the game and will have multiple views of the game on different channels with different commentators.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I am curious, how do you figure?

That was a great trade, all things considered.

They got a decent bench scorer/defender, a top pick who won't help them keep LeBron James nor make any meaningful impact until at least 3 years from now, a prospect big man, and a small guard who has had two good seasons coming off a major injury and is still not healthy yet and is unknown to be healthy when the season starts, and when he returns to health might not be in the best shape and possibly not the same player he was before the injury.

For Kyrie Irving, a superstar scorer, clutch and big time performer, and to a conference rival who has vastly improved AND plaed in the ECF last year.

Yeah, that's a bad deal. The only thing of value was the draft pick. If I was Cleveland I would have held out for Tatum or Brown in addition to the pick, Thomas, and Crowder. If they wouldn't do it the rumored deal with the Suns seemed interesting, and even though Phoenix was unwilling to do the deal today, possibly they would have during the season. Which brings me to my next point of the Cavs didn't have to trade Kyrie even though he wanted out. It wasn't a toxic thing. I bet if the season started he would have reported to camp and would have had a big boy talk with LeBron and smoothed things out enough where things could have been professional.

I wouldn't have dealt Kyrie without a young potential star coming back (Tatum, Brown, or Jackson), a proven NBA point guard (Thomas, Bledsoe), and some bench help (Crowder). I would have also tried to unload horrible salary (Shumpert), but that would probably not happen. I wouldn't trade a superstar unless I got a huge deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad