CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
:banghead:

Can we please move on from JT Barrett and just finally stop referring to him as a star player? At the risk of engaging in the sort of annoying hyperbole that I normally condemn other folks for, he's establishing himself in my head as "a Justin Zwick that can run". Certainly getting the same sort of sick feeling every time I see him going for a pass play, or any time the play breaks down and he has to do Something On The Fly.

EDIT: annnnnd then he throws an interception. :facepalm:

As inconsistent as Barrett is, a bigger problem in my mind is the OSU defense. They have been giving up way to many points for some time now (dating back to last season). Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, and even Indiana to name a few. I don't think it is a recruiting issue, so Meyer needs to look at his defensive coordinator. Something needs fixed, and quick.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The problems are widespread. Other than the defensive line the rest of the program, including the coaching staff,is in shambles. Something other than schmiesing Army, which is not a certainty at this point,has to happen. This team the way it is paying won't beat Penn St, Michigan,Nebraska and whoever else has a half decent team.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Good to know 10tv on DirecTv is gone for the time being. :facepalm: So no Browns/Steelers for anyone with DirecT.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
As inconsistent as Barrett is, a bigger problem in my mind is the OSU defense. They have been giving up way to many points for some time now (dating back to last season). Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, and even Indiana to name a few. I don't think it is a recruiting issue, so Meyer needs to look at his defensive coordinator. Something needs fixed, and quick.

As a non OSU fan this is exactly my thoughts after watching the game. Listening to local sports radio this morning, the fan base being overly critical of JT is not without warrant but they are using him as the scapegoat to overlook the obvious issues they have on the defensive side of the ball.

That supposed elite defensive front could not contain Mayfield. He consistently slipped out of the pocket to buy time and found guys (not always wide open) that made plays. 490 total yards, 386 passing, 0 interceptions and 2 sacks that lost a mere 14 yards. Not only that but they rushed for 104 yards as well. If not for the two fumbles and a bad snap on the gimme FG they missed and it would have been worse.

The Bucs have the talent and should recover from this. But the coaches need to do some serious soul searching on the defensive side of the ball to figure out how to protect that vulnerable secondary before they get towards the end of the season and a possible playoff spot.

Fortunate for them there isn't anything close to a Baker Mayfield in the B1G to expose them as he did last night.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
how bout these Indians? Nothing to sneeze at.

Can a more knowledgeable fan than I tell me what's up with Brantley?

Sprained ankle that is taking some time to recover from.

But, yeah, they have quite the streak going.

OSU, on the other hand...Didn't Meyer say they were trying to move away from having Barrett run the ball fifty times a game?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I'll readily concede that Schiano's work isn't filling me with confidence either, but that's more results-based than observation-based because it's rare that I get a complete view of the secondary on a consistent per-play basis. You'd think TV presentation would do a better job of showing that. :shakehead

* * *​

OSU, on the other hand...Didn't Meyer say they were trying to move away from having Barrett run the ball fifty times a game?
That would require that Barrett be able to throw consistently.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
and lets not forget the kickoff guy who can't get it past the 10 yd line.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

The offense produced 92 yards in the first half. The defense forced a couple turnovers. If the offense isn't going to do jack **** it's hard to say, "Hey defense, win us the game, too." They did against Michigan last year, but you can't do that every game.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
The offense produced 92 yards in the first half. The defense forced a couple turnovers. If the offense isn't going to do jack **** it's hard to say, "Hey defense, win us the game, too." They did against Michigan last year, but you can't do that every game.

I'm in the same boat. The defense can only do so much to keep the team in the game. They gave up 10 points through the first 43 minutes of the game...that's on the offense and the coaching for not taking advantage of the turnovers and not producing

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm in the same boat. The defense can only do so much to keep the team in the game. They gave up 10 points through the first 43 minutes of the game...that's on the offense and the coaching for not taking advantage of the turnovers and not producing
Would also help if the offense could, y'know, stay on the field a little bit longer. Defenses wear out after a while and all that. :(

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Would also help if the offense could, y'know, stay on the field a little bit longer. Defenses wear out after a while and all that. :(

Exactly! I'm not sure what the time of possession was, but Oklahoma had far more sustained drives than we had through 3 quarters. Also doesn't help that we couldn't convert inside the red zone.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

ah, I didn't realize it was an ankle issue. I was starting to think it was some mysterious malady that was putting his career in jeopardy. He's been beaten up the last couple of years, so maybe his career IS in jeopardy, but if it's his ankle keeping him out these last months that's at least not a terrible cause for alarm.

I really love this team. Kluber is a complete stud but he blossomed late, good story, and otherwise, a lot of great players but no superstars, really. Just a supremely well put-together team. Tito is really amazing.

I actually don't care for these streaks, they make me nervous, but as a Jackets fan and a Cleveland fan I can't say it hasn't been fun!

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I actually don't care for these streaks, they make me nervous, but as a Jackets fan and a Cleveland fan I can't say it hasn't been fun!

I love double negatives!! Nicely done. And the fact that you begin the sentence with a negative makes me love it all the more.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Exactly! I'm not sure what the time of possession was, but Oklahoma had far more sustained drives than we had through 3 quarters. Also doesn't help that we couldn't convert inside the red zone.

We couldn't get any sustained drives going, at all. That kills the D. No drives, no breaks for the D. I'm curious to see how many 3 and outs they had in the first half

For as good as Dobbins and Weber are, they don't use them nearly enough. I think if Weber could stay healthy, he's the better back. I honestly think he could be just as good as Zeke. If I were in charge I'd be running a lot of two back formations and spreading the field as often as possible.

But when you don't have receivers who can't make plays unless their in open field is a huge problem when they can't find any open space. What happened to the receiver core? My buddy was putting all the blame on JT, but if he has nobody to throw to, then taking a sack or running it is better than throwing a pick.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the difference between Mayfield and JT. JT scrambles for the first down marker, sometimes he gets it, sometimes he doesn't but he's not Braxton Miller.

Meanwhile, Mayfield scrambles to get the pass off, the entire time he's scrambling his head is up and he's trying to find open space behind the line of scrimmage so that he can get the ball to his playmakers, instead of immediately taking off down field.

What the hell happened to OSU developing QBs. When's the last time they sent a QB to start in the NFL? Our best QBs over the last decade have been turned into receivers and who knows what JT will be, if anything at the next level. Here's to hoping Tate and the other new kid are the real deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What the hell happened to OSU developing QBs. When's the last time they sent a QB to start in the NFL? Our best QBs over the last decade have been turned into receivers and who knows what JT will be, if anything at the next level. Here's to hoping Tate and the other new kid are the real deal.

One starts at WR for the Redskins and another starts at WR for the Texans. Another is on the practice squad in San Diego.

Troy Smith bounced around the NFL and CFL. Tom Tupa punted in the NFL forever and won a Super Bowl (as a punter, not a QB tho haha).

Ohio State's never been known as QBU.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
We couldn't get any sustained drives going, at all. That kills the D. No drives, no breaks for the D. I'm curious to see how many 3 and outs they had in the first half

For as good as Dobbins and Weber are, they don't use them nearly enough. I think if Weber could stay healthy, he's the better back. I honestly think he could be just as good as Zeke. If I were in charge I'd be running a lot of two back formations and spreading the field as often as possible.

But when you...have receivers who can't make plays unless their in open field is a huge problem when they can't find any open space. What happened to the receiver core? My buddy was putting all the blame on JT, but if he has nobody to throw to, then taking a sack or running it is better than throwing a pick.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the difference between Mayfield and JT. JT scrambles for the first down marker, sometimes he gets it, sometimes he doesn't but he's not Braxton Miller.

Meanwhile, Mayfield scrambles to get the pass off, the entire time he's scrambling his head is up and he's trying to find open space behind the line of scrimmage so that he can get the ball to his playmakers, instead of immediately taking off down field.

I agree with most of the blame being tossed around by many knowledgeable posters, but I don't think enough has been made of the bolded paragraph above. Yes JT was not good, but he got little or no help from his receivers.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
haha, I can't tell if you aren't being sarcastic but I'm glad you liked it!

If you can't tell, then I am not. When I do it will be easy to spot. It goes something like...[sarcasm] Oh that's wonderful....thank you so much!![/sarcasm]

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I agree with most of the blame being tossed around by many knowledgeable posters, but I don't think enough has been made of the bolded paragraph above. Yes JT was not good, but he got little or no help from his receivers.

And no help from his coaches.
They went completely away from running game, and especially the power runing game (RB's had 16 carries combined, JT had more than that).

In the national title run, Cardale benefitted from the threat of a pounding running game; that made defenses respect play-action passing game that allowed receivers to get deep (and open). JT benefited from that scheme leading up to that title run as well.

IMO, the scheme is bad - this year they seem hell-bent on trying to prove (maybe to themselves) that they can throw the ball when it isn't this team's strength (at any level, be it QB, WR of pass-blocking). Yes, they need to do be able to throw it, but they've got to have the power run game to go with it - they should have started there instead of the other way around, especially in a big game. The RB's did average 6.3 yards per carry - but they only got 16 carries.

This seems to be in part a function of Meyer's offense (not his coordinator's offense) being too QB-centric, both in terms of run and pass games.
Balance, imo, is not just between run and pass, but balance within each of those facets of the offense. But I have not seen it since @OKLA last year. In the past, when they've won big games, they've had that balance. JT would carry the ball less times but for equal if not more yards than now (e.g. Mich 2015, bowl game v ND). They lost to MSU in 2015 in the rain when JT carried the ball more than Zeke (who got all of 12 carries), didn't get much that route - and couldn't/wouldn't throw it.

I think they out-coached themselves again last Saturday. Not that JT and company helped much either. A program loss if there ever was one.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
I awoke this morning to the news that the Bengals did not get shut out last night. They have completed 1/8th of their season without finding the end zone.

If not for playing each other twice, the odds would be very good that Ohio would have a team go 0-16 this year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And no help from his coaches.
They went completely away from running game, and especially the power runing game (RB's had 16 carries combined, JT had more than that).

In the national title run, Cardale benefitted from the threat of a pounding running game; that made defenses respect play-action passing game that allowed receivers to get deep (and open). JT benefited from that scheme leading up to that title run as well.

IMO, the scheme is bad - this year they seem hell-bent on trying to prove (maybe to themselves) that they can throw the ball when it isn't this team's strength (at any level, be it QB, WR of pass-blocking). Yes, they need to do be able to throw it, but they've got to have the power run game to go with it - they should have started there instead of the other way around, especially in a big game. The RB's did average 6.3 yards per carry - but they only got 16 carries.

This seems to be in part a function of Meyer's offense (not his coordinator's offense) being too QB-centric, both in terms of run and pass games.
Balance, imo, is not just between run and pass, but balance within each of those facets of the offense. But I have not seen it since @OKLA last year. In the past, when they've won big games, they've had that balance. JT would carry the ball less times but for equal if not more yards than now (e.g. Mich 2015, bowl game v ND). They lost to MSU in 2015 in the rain when JT carried the ball more than Zeke (who got all of 12 carries), didn't get much that route - and couldn't/wouldn't throw it.

I think they out-coached themselves again last Saturday. Not that JT and company helped much either. A program loss if there ever was one.

So much this. If they don't have any reason to gear Dobbins or Weber, which nobody does, then they're just gonna sit back and wait and pressure JT. Put a speedy spy on him and he's not gonna go anywhere. Just really confusing play calling.

It's almost as if they're like "they think we're gonna run it, so we should pass it. And only run read options with JT"

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Well... teams with two of the nicest unis in football, the Rams and 9ers, manage to look like total **** on a national broadcast by wearing clown suits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->