CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I cringe whenever someone gets tackled out-of-bounds, and takes out one of the people standing near the sideline.

Quick story: I was working on the sidelines back in '97/'98 running a parabolic dish microphone. Play came at me hard and I jumped to the side to get out of the way swinging my dish hard to the left to protect it, and in the process smacked the head coach in the head. The team: Youngstown State. The coach: Jim Tressel

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
When New England won the overtime coin toss, you just kinda knew that Atlanta wouldn't touch the ball again.

One of the top 5 Super Bowls ever. Great comeback. It amazes me that 51 Super Bowls have been played and New England has been in 9 of them.

At the risk of extreme speculation, imagine if Cleveland had found a way to a new stadium and Belichek had stayed there all this time????

Modell would have found a different way to muck it up.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
He's a great coach, one of the best of all time, but he isn't that good.

Keep in mind, the hypothetical is assuming that Cleveland still would have what became the Ravens organization, not the current expansion debacle.

My opinion, between Newsome as GM and Belichick as HC, they would probably have won a Super Bowl or two but not been on the level that the Patriots are.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Keep in mind, the hypothetical is assuming that Cleveland still would have what became the Ravens organization, not the current expansion debacle.

My opinion, between Newsome as GM and Belichick as HC, they would probably have won a Super Bowl or two but not been on the level that the Patriots are.

That thought is really the essence behind my comment. The Browns were rolling along that year when Modell pulled the plug on the season/franchise/city/fans.

I'm not saying it would be equal to the New England Patriots. But had Belichek continued, Ben Rothlisburger would have been a Cleveland Brown. Cleveland would not have had 22 starting quarterbacks in 17 years.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Okay, it is not the regular season yet, but the Athletics beat the Diamondbacks 21-13 (twenty-one to thirteen).

Is that high of a score common in spring training? :laugh:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Assuming it ends up this way, best trade Cleveland has made since the re-birth.

Wait a minute..................are you telling me that the Houston Texans called the Cleveland Browns and said, "We are willing to trade you our starting quarterback".

And the Browns asked; "What do want in return"?

And the Texans responded; "nothing......we will give you our 2nd round draft pick just to take this guy - then you can cut him or do whatever you want".

If that really happened, then pro football has passed me by. It's no wonder that I am having trouble finding my way in this world.

The only thing crazier than this would be if you told me the Houston fans are excited about this move and are throwing a parade!!

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Wait a minute..................are you telling me that the Houston Texans called the Cleveland Browns and said, "We are willing to trade you our starting quarterback".

And the Browns asked; "What do want in return"?

And the Texans responded; "nothing......we will give you our 2nd round draft pick just to take this guy - then you can cut him or do whatever you want".

If that really happened, then pro football has passed me by. It's no wonder that I am having trouble finding my way in this world.

The only thing crazier than this would be if you told me the Houston fans are excited about this move and are throwing a parade!!

Houston fans are restraining themselves - parade route lined but parade not yet started - first float in gear when either Romo (or Glennon until the Bears got him) is acquired or the draft, whichever occurs first.
They were already so done with Osweiler - not because he's THAT bad, but their window is NOW. Think of it this way - Texans now would be similar to CBJ in the next five years if Bob were bottom 10 instead of top 5 goalie, and we had just acquired him. We'd be looking to move that contract and fast! So really not that much different...cap space and opening a spot the primary agendas. Browns have so much cap room it was easy for them to swallow Osweiler, especially if there are other suitors. Texans couldn't wait as Romo's recruiting trips start about now - they need the space in order to be able to make deal quickly, as there will be other suitors for Romo. Classic salary dump, just not usually seen in the NFL; more likely in NHL or NBA.

Two things. Bob is NOT Romo - thank goodness.

And not sure Texans will like what they get if in fact they get Romo; better than Osweiler, but not the savior either.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Houston fans are restraining themselves - parade route lined but parade not yet started - first float in gear when either Romo (or Glennon until the Bears got him) is acquired or the draft, whichever occurs first.
They were already so done with Osweiler - not because he's THAT bad, but their window is NOW. Think of it this way - Texans now would be similar to CBJ in the next five years if Bob were bottom 10 instead of top 5 goalie, and we had just acquired him. We'd be looking to move that contract and fast! So really not that much different...cap space and opening a spot the primary agendas. Browns have so much cap room it was easy for them to swallow Osweiler, especially if there are other suitors. Texans couldn't wait as Romo's recruiting trips start about now - they need the space in order to be able to make deal quickly, as there will be other suitors for Romo. Classic salary dump, just not usually seen in the NFL; more likely in NHL or NBA.

Two things. Bob is NOT Romo - thank goodness.

And not sure Texans will like what they get if in fact they get Romo; better than Osweiler, but not the savior either.

Romo's good

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Charles Barkley is not only rooting against UCLA...He's wearing the other teams Jersey on set because of the one player's Dad

I hope UCLA wins it all....Barkley is a fat slob and a disgrace.....only has a job because he draws attention by doing such stupid chit

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Crew wins over Portland, **** yes!!! :handclap:

I must admit though, when they gave up a goal in the 4th minute, I was thinking "Awww, not more of this ****!"

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I doubt remember the last time the Crew and Blue Jackets won on the same day at home.
I'm not sure if there ever was a last time.

Torn as to who they were against (to the extent that I even have a second MLS team, Portland is it, mostly because **** Seattle and all they stand for and everything that they love, and the Flyers have a bit of a place in my heart for similar anti-Pittsburgh reasons), but I'll take it. :D

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
April 27, 2013
Blue Jackets 3 - Nashville Predators 1 - Nationwide Arena
Crew 3 - DC United 0 - Columbus Crew Stadium

The Blue Jackets were playing this late into April due to a lockout pushing back the end date of the regular season.

Last edited:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
November 8, 2008
Blue Jackets 3 - Calgary Flames 1
Crew 2 - Kansas City Wizards 0 (win conference semifinal 3-1 on aggregate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad