Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Last night I figured out the reason why some people think Price is so good and others don't.

It was shown clearly in a comment from Marc Denis during the game yesterday when Price did a lateral movement to make a save and he stayed up and it looked easy, controlled and he kept the rebound smothered. Denis gushed all over Price's technique and basically stated the above.

And I agree. Price looks great when he makes saves. He's fairly big, he's athletic and his technique is great. But I don't give a shit about that. I just want results. I don't care how pretty it looks. And I want results when it matters. Not just one regular season every now and then, in the playoffs first and foremost. With Niemi, it didn't always look pretty but he got the job done while being smaller, older, less skilled.... he did it.

Price will need to look inward to rebound next season. The easy thing is to put the blame on bad D and bad team Bergevin assembled. But Niemi is a god send, hopefully he showed Price that part of the answer could have come from him, and needs to come from him given his cap hit.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Price should never have been resigned if MB wasn't going all in to win now, the contract is what it is, that's what he would've gotten somewhere else but it's a waste given the team constructed around him, yeah he's had a terrible year but this team wasn't going to make the playoffs with Carey standing on his head like he did in his MVP season

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Price should never have been resigned if MB wasn't going all in to win now, the contract is what it is, that's what he would've gotten somewhere else but it's a waste given the team constructed around him, yeah he's had a terrible year but this team wasn't going to make the playoffs with Carey standing on his head like he did in his MVP season

When MB traded PK he went all in to win now with MTs vision of a Cup winning team.

I am guessing he also felt he was in win now mode with the All-Star D he assembled.

Anyway. Yes, Price needs to do whatever it takes this off season to get his s**t together , whether its having daily sessions with a psychologist, taking Flintstones or whatever.

I had never heard of a professional athlete having chronic fatigue before and that is off the charts out there. But ok.

If he comes in next year short of " in Price we trust " mode he better be mentally up for what is going to come down on him making $10.5M per and playing like Red Light Racicot.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
When MB traded PK he went all in to win now with MTs vision of a Cup winning team.

I am guessing he also felt he was in win now mode with the All-Star D he assembled.

Anyway. Yes, Price needs to do whatever it takes this off season to get his s**t together , whether its having daily sessions with a psychologist, taking Flintstones or whatever.

I had never heard of a professional athlete having chronic fatigue before and that is off the charts out there. But ok.

If he comes in next year short of " in Price we trust " mode he better be mentally up for what is going to come down on him making $10.5M per and playing like Red Light Racicot.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time, he's got one more Stanley Cup Ring than Price tho...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
And I agree. Price looks great when he makes saves. He's fairly big, he's athletic and his technique is great. But I don't give a **** about that. I just want results. I don't care how pretty it looks. And I want results when it matters. Not just one regular season every now and then, in the playoffs first and foremost. With Niemi, it didn't always look pretty but he got the job done while being smaller, older, less skilled.... he did it.

Price will need to look inward to rebound next season. The easy thing is to put the blame on bad D and bad team Bergevin assembled. But Niemi is a god send, hopefully he showed Price that part of the answer could have come from him, and needs to come from him given his cap hit.
Price and Niemi win/losses ratio is about the same, GAA and SV% is pretty similar too.

one is having a bad season, but the other one is a GOD SEND ?????

what the f*** you're talking about man...

everybody knows you don't "want results", you just find excuses to bash on Price since you REALLY dislike him.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Price and Niemi win/losses ratio is about the same, GAA and SV% is pretty similar too.

what the **** you're talking about man...

everybody knows you don't "want results", you just find excuses to bash on Price since you REALLY dislike him.
He'll tell you he dislikes his CONTRACT.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price should never have been resigned if MB wasn't going all in to win now, the contract is what it is, that's what he would've gotten somewhere else...
Totally agree. I'm okay with signing him for that but it doesn't make sense to sign him and then let two key players go and still not address the center position. If you're not going for it then trade him, Weber, Max and just start over. Why sign the guy? And I don't get why we'd play him now.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014

I think he may have been referring to Niemi's stats just with the Habs, in 16 games he has a
2.41 GAA and a .932 SV%.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When Subban was traded we had massive in-depth analysis of both players. Is anyone with a good knowledge of these things willing to study wether Price is actually a good goalie or not? I think this would be a good piece for several reasons such as when he is weak he is really weak, he had one really amazing year and he seems to excel when we play a stifling defense oriented system.

I'm just curious, I'm starting to doubt if this guy is the real deal, 10.5 million dollar man.
Ever watch and scrutinize other goalies? Price is the best and when is is not he is still among them.
Habs have a seemingly infinite number of major problems. Goaltending is not one of them. Period.
Having said that his contract was 1.5 high and two years too long.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Last night I figured out the reason why some people think Price is so good and others don't.

It was shown clearly in a comment from Marc Denis during the game yesterday when Price did a lateral movement to make a save and he stayed up and it looked easy, controlled and he kept the rebound smothered. Denis gushed all over Price's technique and basically stated the above.

And I agree. Price looks great when he makes saves. He's fairly big, he's athletic and his technique is great. But I don't give a **** about that. I just want results. I don't care how pretty it looks. And I want results when it matters. Not just one regular season every now and then, in the playoffs first and foremost. With Niemi, it didn't always look pretty but he got the job done while being smaller, older, less skilled.... he did it.

Ha! If Niemi can "look inward and rebound " Dont you think Price will? Niemi could not stop a beach ball for s was kicked from team to team........Price will be fine.

The thing is, MBs garbage teams cant score to save their lives and go season after season without centers. Price has to be the best player in the league for them to squeak into the play offs and go out early. Tough assignment.
That is why his agent asked for 85 million dollars ....and got it.

Last edited:

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
In a fairly spread out time.

Mike Condon’s numbers also looked great until given a no1s workload.

the difference between Condon and Niemi is that Condon, other that his rookie season, when is was forced into the starting role, has never been a legitimate NHL starting goalie - between 2010 and 2016 Niemi played about 340 games as a starter and had about 190 wins.

I think it's fair to say, Niemi playing behind the same team, has put up decent numbers, enough to ensure he's playing in the NHL next year... when it looked like that was in doubt. One of the problems with the Habs recently, is that when they have had to replace Price, they've done so with players like Condon, who when given the starting job a few years ago was a 25 year old rookie with less that 10 games of NHL experience.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Made zero sense to sign Price last July. Why not wait until the winter and see where this team is at. Would another team really have offered him 10.5 million as a UFA? I doubt it. Again, if you sign Price and then have your best forward in trade rumors 7 months laters makes no sense at all to me.

Jul 6, 2016
Made zero sense to sign Price last July. Why not wait until the winter and see where this team is at. Would another team really have offered him 10.5 million as a UFA? I doubt it. Again, if you sign Price and then have your best forward in trade rumors 7 months laters makes no sense at all to me.

What a mess of a season, right ?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Uh in what world exactly are their win ratio and stats similar?

Unless you include Niemi stats with other teams which is pretty irrelevant

Btw you can dismiss my comments on Price because I "hate" him but how is that any different from anyone hating on patch, mb, mt, molson?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Btw you can dismiss my comments on Price because I "hate" him but how is that any different from anyone hating on patch, mb, mt, molson?
The differences are pretty obvious. One guy has carried our teams, the other two have worked to destroy them.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
It's not just that, but the signing highlights Bergevin's incompetence as a negotiator. Had he waited it out, he could have seen how this team progressed and Price's most up-to-date value to this team, and THEN handed out a contract accordingly. Instead, he signed Price too soon and at a contract where Price is being paid for putting numbers like in 2014 and 2015, a level that Price might never reach again. He showed his hands early and basically gave Price whatever he wanted and consequently damaged the cap situation for this team.

With recent developments, there is no way Price would be touching anything remotely close to 10,5 million if he became a UFA this season.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

of course it is, he did not play those games...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
(mod) I will leave with this last comment :

Price will suck again next year. He will suck again because he has a terrible attitude. You could see it again in his post game comments after Pittsburgh when he said Malkin's goal was good and he was taking jabs at his teammates for not rushing the other team's goalie. This guy's mind is not with the habs. I don't know where it is but it is not with this team. It hasn't been for a while. Also the guy coasts on his talent a lot. But past 30, you can't just rely on talent. It won't work any longer, especially not on a team built on winning low scoring games (built wrong, yes, but still how it is). He will suck again unless he takes a long hard look at himself and finds some type of drive again somewhere. But dating all the way back to his early days, he's always been very keen on blaming his teammates for his own flaws. I remember when Markov had to intervene because the staring down of his dmen after mistakes was making news. You guys probably don't remember this because you have lemmings memory, but I 'member. I 'member when Price pulled his Roy act. This guy made due with the fact he had to play on this team. But he wants out. He's never bought in 100%. Subban bought in 100% and we dealt him. Goes to show how MB got it so wrong placing his trust with Price and Patch over Subban.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad