Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I cant stand Price anymore. Just sit him for the rest of the season and trade him this summer.

He knows he’s had a trash season. He wants to come back and atleast try and end it on a poditive note. Says a lot about him as an athlete. He could easily collect his workers comp cheque if he wanted. There’s a chance he comes back and makes himself look even worse but he has the balls to do it. I don’t know how anyone can frown on that. I doubt he gets hurt in the few games left and he isn’t going to ruin a tank anymore then Niemi has so let him play a few games. I didn’t understand the decision at first but Julien’s explanation does make sense. It’s a message to the team.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Coming back when he's healthy doesn't show "true leadership", it's not optional. It's his job. You play when you're healthy, it's that simple. You don't get to sit out the rest of the season because the team sucks.

I have nothing against Carey but it’s easy to see how some players are elevated by the media. Coming back from injury is true leadership? It’s his job to play.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
He knows he’s had a trash season. He wants to come back and atleast try and end it on a poditive note. Says a lot about him as an athlete. He could easily collect his workers comp cheque if he wanted. There’s a chance he comes back and makes himself look even worse but he has the balls to do it. I don’t know how anyone can frown on that. I doubt he gets hurt in the few games left and he isn’t going to ruin a tank anymore then Niemi has so let him play a few games. I didn’t understand the decision at first but Julien’s explanation does make sense. It’s a message to the team.
I could care less about him at this point, he's been with the team for 11 years, time to move on. Price as had 8 lower body injuries and 2 concussions so far, he's turning 31 and signed until he will 39 at 10.5mil. I am done with this team and Price is not good for what i want and its tanking for a few years and rebuild. I am trying to understand why are people wanting to hold on to him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I could care less about him at this point, he's been with the team for 11 years, time to move on. Price as had 8 lower body injuries and 2 concussions so far, he's turning 31 and signed until he will 39 at 10.5mil. I am done with this team and Price is not good for what i want and its tanking for a few years and rebuild. I am trying to understand why are people wanting to hold on to him.

I’m not saying the contract is good, it sucks. We can blame our bonehead GM for not only putting us in a position where a goaltender has all the power, but also just bending over and taking it backwards by just throwing money at him without accessing the situation. But there’s nothing negative about a player fighting threw controversy. If we can find a potential trade partner, I welcome it. But what’s done is done. We can’t erase Marc Bergevin’s 2017 offseason. He did serious damage and as much as people want to blame Price, he’s not the one that offered such a rich deal.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’m not saying the contract is good, it sucks. We can blame our bonehead GM for not only putting us in a position where a goaltender has all the power, but also just bending over and taking it backwards by just throwing money at him without accessing the situation. But there’s nothing negative about a player fighting threw controversy. If we can find a potential trade partner, I welcome it. But what’s done is done. We can’t erase Marc Bergevin’s 2017 offseason. He did serious damage and as much as people want to blame Price, he’s not the one that offered such a rich deal.
Price just got concussed not too long ago for the second time in his career, we are a bottom 5 team with 9 games to go. Why is he playing? You invest this much money in your goalie and you let him play?
Price is not going to win my heart playing some of the games remaining. I want him out regardless. Price needs to go!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Price just got concussed not too long ago for the second time in his career, we are a bottom 5 team with 9 games to go. Why is he playing? You invest this much money in your goalie and you let him play?
Price is not going to win my heart playing some of the games remaining. I want him out regardless. Price needs to go!

Him and Weber. We are NOT gonna win anything in the present state of things. Making a turnaround with both of them in the lineup in the next two seasons is a pipedream. A wise man would sell before their value gets lower. The time is NOW. Pac was two years ago.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It really bothers me to read the things people say about Carey Price. For me he is a hero and a role model for Metis and First Nations people. He has one more gold medal than Patrick Roy. Kreider started the injuries with him. And I am proud of Brendan Gallagher every time he runs over Lundqvist, that somebody fights back for him. Contract is an albatross, it will really hurt the Canadiens if he retires early.

I hope he wins the Stanley Cup if he gets traded. He won't be such an ass as to proudly display it in Montreal in vengeance if he earns it. He'll take it to a place it's never been.

I respect him more for dealing with the unappreciative fans and intrusive media in a respectful way, something Saint Patrick never did.

I hope he and Weber are given one real shot together in Montreal. I think Primeau is the future, but for the present, I hope he rebounds strong. A Vezina recovery next year would make a lot of people eat crow. And I don't think that it beyond him.
He may start to see a reduced workload with age, that's why the quality of backup is important.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It really bothers me to read the things people say about Carey Price. For me he is a hero and a role model for Metis and First Nations people. He has one more gold medal than Patrick Roy. Kreider started the injuries with him. And I am proud of Brendan Gallagher every time he runs over Lundqvist, that somebody fights back for him. Contract is an albatross, it will really hurt the Canadiens if he retires early.

I hope he wins the Stanley Cup if he gets traded. He won't be such an ass as to proudly display it in Montreal in vengeance if he earns it. He'll take it to a place it's never been.

I respect him more for dealing with the unappreciative fans and intrusive media in a respectful way, something Saint Patrick never did.

I hope he and Weber are given one real shot together in Montreal. I think Primeau is the future, but for the present, I hope he rebounds strong. A Vezina recovery next year would make a lot of people eat crow. And I don't think that it beyond him.
He may start to see a reduced workload with age, that's why the quality of backup is important.

No one will eat any crow as long as the D is in shambles. You're naive if you think Price can be in Vezina talk without two elite #1D.

Unappreciative fans? Tell me, what was there to appreciate in his play this year? He could be forgiven because of the awful defense in front of him, if it weren't for his own shameful performances.

One gold medal more than Roy.. oy :facepalm:

Roy has 4 cups and 3 Smythe more.

What age are you?

Reactions: Pickles

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He’s not out to win the heart of the fans right now. Any player in this market would get crushed if that was their goal in Montreal, especially a goaltender. Subban was a freak exception. Like you said he’s been here 11 seasons. He wouldn’t have lasted this long without thick skin. He’s looking at it from a personal and team perspective. He’s 100% cleared and sitting makes him look weaker to his teammates. I originally thought taking the rest of the season off was best just to clear his head from this season, but if he wants to play, let him. There’s not many games left. If they felt it was serious enough to keep him out he wouldn’t be dressed.

Management is constantly trying to protect him for their own agenda. It’s been going on for almost 3 years. He was likely talked into sitting out a chunk of 15/16. He said so himself that he was ready to come back that season whenever they needed him and he said himself it had nothing to do with protecting him, not to mention Therrien went as far as embarrassing his backup Montoya in a 10 goal game to avoid using him in a back to back game just last year which was to protect management from embarrassing themselves yet again, not Price. Julien isn’t giving into it and I can respect that. If someone takes out his knees and cripples him, let management pay and LTIR kick in. He’s going to be making $15 million next year and we can’t be afraid to walk out the front door of our houses in fear getting hit by a car every time like we have been with him. If he gets hurt, so be it. Bergevin and Molson deserve it for signing the contract if we can’t rely on him to be healthy.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No one will eat any crow as long as the D is in shambles. You're naive if you think Price can be in Vezina talk without two elite #1D.

Unappreciative fans? Tell me, what was there to appreciate in his play this year? He could be forgiven because of the awful defense in front of him, if it weren't for his own shameful performances.

One gold medal more than Roy.. oy :facepalm:

Roy has 4 cups and 3 Smythe more.

What age are you?

I'm old. I remember each of Patrick's Cups. 1st with Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey, Mats Naslund, Claude Lemieux.

2nd with Muller, Carbonneau again, Damphousse, Leclair, Desjardins heroics.

3rd and 4th with the best 1-2 punch at centre.

Price had one golden chance at both the Cup and Conn Smythe. And Kreider ended it. The year he was almost unbeatable.

He had a bad year. No question. On a bad team. So that bad year makes it a steady decline? He's still in his prime. Injuries are the major concern. Defense needs one addition. And less dead weight. I wouldn't call it a crisis. I'd rather have Mete and Juulsen than Beaulieu and Emelin, going forward.

I hope he gets another chance to win. With Bergevin at the helm that's hard to see.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm old. I remember each of Patrick's Cups. 1st with Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey, Mats Naslund, Claude Lemieux.

2nd with Muller, Carbonneau again, Damphousse, Leclair, Desjardins heroics.

3rd and 4th with the best 1-2 punch at centre.

Price had one golden chance at both the Cup and Conn Smythe. And Kreider ended it. The year he was almost unbeatable.

He had a bad year. No question. On a bad team. So that bad year makes it a steady decline? He's still in his prime. Injuries are the major concern. Defense needs one addition. And less dead weight. I wouldn't call it a crisis. I'd rather have Mete and Juulsen than Beaulieu and Emelin, going forward.

I hope he gets another chance to win. With Bergevin at the helm that's hard to see.

There are two holes on D and one of them is no small addition. We are lacking a bonafide elite pmd on the left side. Unless we draft Dahlin or sign Carlson, that hole won't be fixed. Price's best seasons, vezina worty, came when he had either PK/Markov or Weber/Markov.

Side note, whether Roy was an a$$, saying Price has one gold medal more is just ridiculous. I don't watch hockey to witness a shinning white knight righteously prevailing, with great valor, humbleness and class. Zzzzzz. I've never seen someone dominate a sport like Michael Jordan did. He was impressive. Incredibly entertaining. He was one of the biggest *****bags to ever run on a NBA court. Who the **** cares. I watched him to see him dominate. Not for some heroic archetype. I'll read a book if i want that. And it's the same with Roy. I'd take Roy over that -one more gold medal- ainec.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Roy is the goalie of my generation, I am not trying to demean him. I am saying Carey has done well for himself. He is probably a more imposing goalie than Roy. When he is on his game he gives up nothing. Makes star players pass the puck. Looking for the perfect shot, which is usually a screen. I just don't think he's done being elite, by any means.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Roy is the goalie of my generation, I am not trying to demean him. I am saying Carey has done well for himself. He is probably a more imposing goalie than Roy. When he is on his game he gives up nothing. Makes star players pass the puck. Looking for the perfect shot, which is usually a screen. I just don't think he's done being elite, by any means.
He's not done.........our GM has failed to build a team, and people hold Price accountable for this. We can't score for years now...Price could have gotten 15 shutouts this year, and we still are not a playoff team.

Anyhow, if he is healthy he plays, it's that simple. There are two sides to this coin right now, because we are awful, and are hoping for a top 5 pick.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
He’s not out to win the heart of the fans right now. Any player in this market would get crushed if that was their goal in Montreal, especially a goaltender. Subban was a freak exception. Like you said he’s been here 11 seasons. He wouldn’t have lasted this long without thick skin. He’s looking at it from a personal and team perspective. He’s 100% cleared and sitting makes him look weaker to his teammates. I originally thought taking the rest of the season off was best just to clear his head from this season, but if he wants to play, let him. There’s not many games left. If they felt it was serious enough to keep him out he wouldn’t be dressed.

Management is constantly trying to protect him for their own agenda. It’s been going on for almost 3 years. He was likely talked into sitting out a chunk of 15/16. He said so himself that he was ready to come back that season whenever they needed him and he said himself it had nothing to do with protecting him, not to mention Therrien went as far as embarrassing his backup Montoya in a 10 goal game to avoid using him in a back to back game just last year which was to protect management from embarrassing themselves yet again, not Price. Julien isn’t giving into it and I can respect that. If someone takes out his knees and cripples him, let management pay and LTIR kick in. He’s going to be making $15 million next year and we can’t be afraid to walk out the front door of our houses in fear getting hit by a car every time like we have been with him. If he gets hurt, so be it. Bergevin and Molson deserve it for signing the contract if we can’t rely on him to be healthy.
I dont buy that Price isnt coming back to show the fans/media he's worth the 8 years/10.5mil contract that is about to kick in next year. He's coming back and he is hoping to perform at a very high level to quiet the media and the fans. Just imagine going into the off season with a goalie that missed at least half a season 2 out of the last 3 season, who's turning 31 and who's new contract hasnt kicked in yet.
I dont buy any of the bullshit for the organization anymore. Nice try on the PR move by the team having Price play though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Carey Price is one of my favourite players but this is hilarious. Carey Price is still to me one of the most skilled goalies in the league. He just had a bad year. Yeah he's not gonna be worth that contract, but when he's coming back next year he wants to play good so all this "Is Carey Price going to be traded talk" will shut up.
I think he's going to come back strong and I honestly think Montreal will too. Imagine if Montreal gets a top 3 pick. They will be scary good. Max Pacioretty is underrated and he can help the team ASAP next year. Galchenyuk is having a career year on one of the worst teams in the league, not to mention they were way better before this year. If Carey Price is going to play like Carey Price next year Montreal is gonna play like the old Montreal we all know.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Carey Price is one of my favourite players but this is hilarious. Carey Price is still to me one of the most skilled goalies in the league. He just had a bad year. Yeah he's not gonna be worth that contract, but when he's coming back next year he wants to play good so all this "Is Carey Price going to be traded talk" will shut up.
I think he's going to come back strong and I honestly think Montreal will too. Imagine if Montreal gets a top 3 pick. They will be scary good. Max Pacioretty is underrated and he can help the team ASAP next year. Galchenyuk is having a career year on one of the worst teams in the league, not to mention they were way better before this year. If Carey Price is going to play like Carey Price next year Montreal is gonna play like the old Montreal we all know.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]
Habs fans love to eat their own...always have.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
When Subban was traded we had massive in-depth analysis of both players. Is anyone with a good knowledge of these things willing to study wether Price is actually a good goalie or not? I think this would be a good piece for several reasons such as when he is weak he is really weak, he had one really amazing year and he seems to excel when we play a stifling defense oriented system.

I'm just curious, I'm starting to doubt if this guy is the real deal, 10.5 million dollar man.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
When Subban was traded we had massive in-depth analysis of both players. Is anyone with a good knowledge of these things willing to study wether Price is actually a good goalie or not? I think this would be a good piece for several reasons such as when he is weak he is really weak, he had one really amazing year and he seems to excel when we play a stifling defense oriented system.

I'm just curious, I'm starting to doubt if this guy is the real deal, 10.5 million dollar man.

He hasn’t hasn’t had one elite season. 10/11, 13/14, 14/15. 16/17, and 07/08 is not one season of elite

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
He hasn’t hasn’t had one elite season. 10/11, 13/14, 14/15. 16/17, and 07/08 is not one season of elite

I've watched every single game with the exception of my wedding day for the past 10 years until this year when I finally cancelled my cable. I don't need schooling on price. I've seen a goalie who has been phenomenal also a goalie who is flaky, doesn't try very hard and is sometimes pretty indifferent. I want to reiterate that I've seen the best goalie in the world with Price as well. I've also seen defense first systems inflate his stats and now I've seen Price this year who is bush league to put it bluntly.

This is why I thought an in depth look would be a good read.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I've watched every single game with the exception of my wedding day for the past 10 years until this year when I finally cancelled my cable. I don't need schooling on price. I've seen a goalie who has been phenomenal also a goalie who is flaky, doesn't try very hard and is sometimes pretty indifferent. I want to reiterate that I've seen the best goalie in the world with Price as well. I've also seen defense first systems inflate his stats and now I've seen Price this year who is bush league to put it bluntly.

This is why I thought an in depth look would be a good read.

He was elite coming into the league, shown it over half a dozen times in his career, has respect of all peers. He has nothing left to prove unless it’s to fans of our team who are ignorant enough to think oue team could be win a Stanley Cup while he has been here. It’ll be the same old with next “goalie of the future.” **** off with this fanbase. It chased Roy away, it’ll do the same forward with whoever is in net.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
He was elite coming into the league, shown it over half a dozen times in his career, has respect of all peers. He has nothing left to prove unless it’s to fans of our team who are ignorant enough to think oue team could be win a Stanley Cup while he has been here. It’ll be the same old with next “goalie of the future.” **** off with this fanbase. It chased Roy away, it’ll do the same forward with whoever is in net.

Anyway's I can see your point of view and respect it. I was just more interested in a good read regarding Carey as a goalie beyond what you and I can provide standing here on opposite ends of the swimming pool.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I haven't seen many games this year. Has Price been really bad, a victim of a horrible defense or is it both? If Price doesn't return to form this team is screwed.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I haven't seen many games this year. Has Price been really bad, a victim of a horrible defense or is it both? If Price doesn't return to form this team is screwed.

Both. Defence has been trash but Niemi has shown if he was hot, he could’be carried us if he was on his game, which he was far from this season.

Reactions: Pickles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad