Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Cripes if they do, they’ll risk going back to jerseys getting thrown on the ice and the first sign of a skid.
A decent coach will minimize the odds of a significant skids. (honestly, they don't often have losing streaks in the reg)

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So Rod Brind'Amour? Not that I think he will coach anywhere if it's not Carolina. That dude is about as roots as it gets.
Cooper and Brind’Amour or next level IMO and would warrant an immediate change if available against most coaches.

I just don’t see anything, be it Berube or Gallant that is next level better than where we are. Time will tell and maybe a different voice would be beneficial but I don’t think our issues are just resolved by coaching alone.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
You're right it is fantasy that people get held accountable in Toronto.

Funny how the players have no problem doing everything in their power to maximize their earnings but when it comes time for their own accountability, all of a sudden we have to be realistic about things lmfao.

Do you think if Marner and Tavares were told gtfo or sit out they would stay? So very clearly that can be how things work, ownership just doesn't have the balls to do it. If any other wimps don't like it, they can gtfo too, none of the players here have proven to be some irreplaceable stud anyways.
And then they created the players association and the players spoke about how bad of an organization the Toronto Maple Leafs are and then they struggled to have any talent that wasn't drafted here for years until that culture changed and hopefully the damage done to the organization was not irredeemable. Yours is a bad way to achieve a winning culture or team.

Reactions: WillNy29

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Did they not want those contracts? Couldn't they have taken less?

Better yet they had all this time to show up in the playoffs, they didn't. It's 100% their fault.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Of course they could have, and should have. All of them. But shouldn't that be on management? That's a completely different argument.

The JT signing is going to be one of the worst is recent memory. It looked great at the time, but in hindsight, it's pretty awful. $11m for a second line centre when you already had AM, WN and MM up front? What the actual f***?

Marner? I don't know, man. I think he's a spoiled, entitled little prick, but the problems with this team are a hell of a lot bigger than him, pardon the pun. He just gets all the hate right now, because we're pissed off and emotional.

There are so many issues with this team. $40 m in four forwards, most of whom are not performing when it matters. No stud puck moving D. No elite goaltender. The flat cap caused by COVID. It's just a perfect storm of shit.

Just for reference, if we are splitting hairs and pointing fingers, let's see if we can match up career playoff stats with the right player (I hope my math is right):

Player A: .87 PPG, +2
Player B: .88 PPG, +10
Player C: .79 PPG, +1

Reactions: egd27 and ACC1224

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
And then they created the players association and the players spoke about how bad of an organization the Toronto Maple Leafs are and then they struggled to have any talent that wasn't drafted here for years until that culture changed and hopefully the damage done to the organization was not irredeemable. Yours is a bad way to achieve a winning culture or team.
Didn't Marner just say they're treated like Gods here ROFL?

Oh and my bad for ruining the winning culture Marner and Tavares helped create with their awesome contracts and fantastic playoff performances.

Reactions: myleafs

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
This. ^

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Marner does not have them by the balls. A new coach can 3rd line and p.k him and devalue his next contract. Tavares saw what happened to Sundin. They can offer him front office if he complies. He may even want out now. There are ways to handle it. Especially if a new coach hates Marner.
So throw away team performance so they can devalue Marner's next contract ? That may not be the best coaching strategy.

I don't have time to look that up either, but IIRC they won 2 rounds during the 80s.
You are correct.

They won a round in 86 and another in 87

Reactions: Just Rude

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario

Oh and my bad for ruining the winning culture Marner and Tavares helped create with their awesome contracts and fantastic playoff performances.
What does Marner's description of the current treatment by the fan base have to do with how the players would receive your proposed radical shift in treatment by an employer?
And to your second point. What does a past losing culture have to do with your proposal of destroying any likely opportunity to have a winning opportunity in the near/ possibly distant future?

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Dregs said Darren Ferris likes to hold all the power and walks his players to UFA and would likely do that with Mitch.
It would be interesting to see if Mitch breaks first as he mentioned in his presser he hoped talks would start next week.
Not sure Mitch could handle all the negative press over the summer and the start of the season if he hasn't signed.
He is Willy and I feel if he struggles at the start of the season like he has in the past fans and media will turn on him and he may ask for a trade
I feel Utah and the Leafs make a perfect match. The have picks/goalie and could use Mitch as the face of the franchise.
Seattle could also be a great fit as they may get the NBA back and will be competing for fans.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005

Marner has a better career playoff PPG and a much better +/- than Willie and Matthews. Where's the outrage? Or is it just recency bias?

JT should be shot into the sun right now, and I hope Marner waives and I hope we get a decent return and cap space. I really do. It's time for him to go.

But the "fantastic playoff performances" are not just on Marner and JT.

The right thing for Marner and JT to do would be to waive to the team that offers the best return (lol JT) and, if they love it here as much as they say they do, come back at a reduced rate as UFA, if the team wants.

Bottom line? They are well within their rights to say no. It's in their contacts. If you want to be mad, be mad at Dubasssssss and Shanascam.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Cooper and Brind’Amour or next level IMO and would warrant an immediate change if available against most coaches.

I just don’t see anything, be it Berube or Gallant that is next level better than where we are. Time will tell and maybe a different voice would be beneficial but I don’t think our issues are just resolved by coaching alone.
But if the coach had the respect of the players, and especially if he held EVERYONE accountable, that would definitely help. Also, if he could hire assistant coaches who specialized in their position (PP, PK, to name a few) and if something wasn't working they (including the coach) would try something different, again, that would help.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You're right it is fantasy that people get held accountable in Toronto.

Funny how the players have no problem doing everything in their power to maximize their earnings but when it comes time for their own accountability, all of a sudden we have to be realistic about things lmfao.

Do you think if Marner and Tavares were told gtfo or sit out they would stay? So very clearly that can be how things work, ownership just doesn't have the balls to do it. If any other wimps don't like it, they can gtfo too, none of the players here have proven to be some irreplaceable stud anyways.
It's not about accountability in the least... I'm all for accountability.

But treating players in a childish, unprofessional manner, isn't going to get you anywhere, except ruin your organizations reputation.

This is about working with professionalism. There is no room in any professional organization, for reactionary, angry knee-jerk reactions.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
But if the coach had the respect of the players, and especially if he held EVERYONE accountable, that would definitely help. Also, if he could hire assistant coaches who specialized in their position (PP, PK, to name a few) and if something wasn't working they (including the coach) would try something different, again, that would help.
You mean for the past 8 years we haven’t had that? No respect from the players? No different assistant coaches. Different GMs? Different players? Who is holding them accountable when every year it’s a phone call from Shanahan saying don’t worry, it’s all good.

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
The Leafs won their last cup when the Players Association was created by a Red Wing player doing the work. I highly doubt anyone thought a cup winning team was any worse than other teams of that era. Every team does things you could point to and it made no difference so long as money was involved. Sitting them won't be looked at well by the NHLPA, but stapling them together with Reeves is part of the game

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Do you think the players wanted to play super defensive this year?

The system was adjusted to fit the players that came in, I doubt the core wants to have their offense neutered even more, it is weird to think they run the team yet chose the most boring way to play hockey.

Don't really care what the core wants, but their "neutered" offence scored more goals in 2023-24 than in 2022-23.

As well as giving up more goals by playing "super defensive"

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
You mean for the past 8 years we haven’t had that? No respect from the players? No different assistant coaches. Different GMs? Different players? Who is holding them accountable when every year it’s a phone call from Shanahan saying don’t worry, it’s all good.
That will all depend on if Pelley wants to make major changes. I have been saying for quite awhile that Shanahan is the problem. He created this culture and entitlement that this core has. NOTHING will change if Pelley basically keeps things the same, and I'm not expecting that we will find out at Friday's press conference either. We are going to have to wait until after the playoffs at the very least, maybe/probably even longer .

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
It's not about accountability in the least... I'm all for accountability.

But treating players in a childish, unprofessional manner, isn't going to get you anywhere, except ruin your organizations reputation.

This is about working with professionalism. There is no room in any professional organization, for reactionary, angry knee-jerk reactions.
No, but do you agree that at least one major change has to be made, to fire Shanahan? I do.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Which Soo players were bad?

I never understood this argument when he was just as willing to trade a Soo guy.
My point was that GMs will always surround themselves with familiar names from their past. I just found it odd that Shanahan's meddling apparently took on a life of its own specifically with Dubas in the role of GM. Anyway, it was something suggested in a tweet posted previously and felt to me like something which was a bit more fantasy than reality due to a lack of concrete details and I'll leave it at that due to this not being overly relevant to the thread topic.

If you all had to pick one, would you give the coach a new core,
or the core a new coach?
The latter would be much easier to accomplish. I'm also not certain that Keefe's upside as a coach can match the core's upside on the ice.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Do you think if Marner and Tavares were told gtfo or sit out they would stay? So very clearly that can be how things work, ownership just doesn't have the balls to do it.
:biglaugh:

So your plan is to sit $22M worth of cap in the press box replace them with league minimum players, while destroying what chemistry does exist amongst the remaining players?

Then you tell AM34 and 88 that we're not going to ice our best possible line up because we want to show up a couple of your best friends? Never mind the folks shelling out a few hundred bucks each game.

Did you even consider the probable impacts or consequences for this hair brained scheme?

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site

So your plan is to sit $22M worth of cap in the press box replace them with league minimum players, while destroying what chemistry does exist amongst the remaining players?

Then you tell AM34 and 88 that we're not going to ice our best possible line up because we want to show up a couple of your best friends? Never mind the folks shelling out a few hundred bucks each game.

Did you even consider the probable impacts or consequences for this hair brained scheme?
Let the inmates run the asylum...

Let's do the same thing 8byears straight... Yeah that will work....

;)

Reactions: Fogelhund

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I can't stand Marner or Tavares and I 100% agree with you.

If you treat players like that it will (not can, will) bite you in the ass at some point. That doesn't mean you can't have accountability, but you can't railroad them and expect no repercussions.
Seems odd to despise Tavares.

He works his ass off. His skills have just vanished. I can't fault him for signing the deal he did. That's more on management than him

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005

...and when we miss the playoffs next year because we don't have any cap space to replace the two guys sitting in the press box, well, we sure showed them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier
    Lens vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00