Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Rider

Apr 29, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Rinne is currently on the "good" side of a "good/bad/good/bad" stretch of seasons; Luongo & Lundqvist are well past their prime and only a bit above average these days; Belfour was bad for most of his last six years; and Hasek was a freak of nature who shouldn't be used as a comparable for anyone.
Rinne also has maybe the best defense in the league in front of him so that should help him extend his career a little. Unfortunately for Carey the habs......not so much.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No one wants carey price. thats the worst contract in hockey. only way we get rid of that contract is by shipping off a lottery first to a team with LOADS of cap room.
Toews is worse........neither contract is great, but Toews is way worse. At least he can say he has 3 Cups......Price had Therrien...lol

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Sitting here watching Charlie and knowing McNiven and Primeau are in the pipeline...I wonder. As big of a fanboy I am of Price, there is a deal to be made with Seattle come expansion time. If there is one place he would waive for it's there. The return would be TBD, but at no time am I worried about being potentially stuck with an albatross deal.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Crazy Price thanks MB.

a5375fcaf51fadf2208bf78db0079bc7e2753a40ef1dafacee018de9f6ba8ffa.jpg

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Compliance buyouts or Seattle is our best hope at this rate to get rid of the contract, imo, unless we trade him and retain $2m. I don't know of many teams who want even an $8.5m goalie until he's 39 on their payroll. Not everyone is Roberto Luongo who can perform at such a high level at that age.
Vancouver had to retain on Luongos deal and his cap hit was 5.3m!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I wish we could both mutually agree to terminate the extension.
I wish we didn't rush to do the extension. I see no reason why it was such a rush to do so. The only thing I can think of is Bergevin knew that the defense he put together was shit and banked on Price putting on another heroic season and, if he didn't get it done this past summer, Price would have commanded even MORE if they waited.

The smart move would have been to trade him this past off-season, IMO, to a team like Winnipeg before Hellebuyck actually turned it around and Connor became a contributor to the NHL club. That's just me spit-balling. Not saying that would have been the return, but I think it could have been a young goalie, top prospect + pick from another team for a $6.5m Price with no ridiculous extension until he's 39.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
They are having talks on the radio about Price being back practicing towards playing again this year.

What is wrong with this team?
This feels like a very bad nightmare.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They are having talks on the radio about Price being back practicing towards playing again this year.

Price probably just wants to be around the team again as opposed to being isolated for so long. Why they didn’t tell him to stay home, I’m not sure. There’s no real gain to this for the team.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
There's no gain to telling him to stay home either.
Nope. In fact I’d like to see him play in the WHC. Get some work in. He has some bugs in his game that need to be worked out. Would rather he do that before going out for the summer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wish we didn't rush to do the extension. I see no reason why it was such a rush to do so. The only thing I can think of is Bergevin knew that the defense he put together was **** and banked on Price putting on another heroic season and, if he didn't get it done this past summer, Price would have commanded even MORE if they waited.

The smart move would have been to trade him this past off-season, IMO, to a team like Winnipeg before Hellebuyck actually turned it around and Connor became a contributor to the NHL club. That's just me spit-balling. Not saying that would have been the return, but I think it could have been a young goalie, top prospect + pick from another team for a $6.5m Price with no ridiculous extension until he's 39.
He had to be signed or dealt. There's absolutely no way you let his contract run out. If you do that you're facing a Tavares situation.

And I'll repeat what I said before. Totally fine with the contract. Go ahead and pay him. But IF you do that, then you'd better not let the rest of the team leave. If you sign him then you have to go for it. If you're not going to do that then you have to deal him.

As usual though we do things ass backwards.

There are 11 games left and they're all meaningless. It makes absolutely no sense to bring Carey Price back, esp after a concussion. He should be shut down for the season without a doubt.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Price is back to 100% according to Julien. Price will backup tonight but I'd imagine he'll start very soon.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

because Price is our best goalie........when trying to tank out the rest of the season

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
A healthy player wants to play. I just don't see how the team can stop him without looking really shady.
Well for one we could send him to Laval for conditioning for 2 weeks if you insist on this, but healthy players get rested all the time, its nothing new.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Price will start tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

First start in over a month and he'll get the high powered Pens offense on the road behind this defense...what could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad