Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
and now why don't we calculate out how much it is PER GAME....thats even more scary, seeing as he probably wont even average 40 games a season till the end of that contract

If he average 60 starts per season, he is paid 175'000 US$ (or 225'000 CAD) per game. :eek:

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
If he average 60 starts per season, he is paid 175'000 US$ (or 225'000 CAD) per game. :eek:

no way he would average 60 games over that entire contract....when you account for injuries, plus the last 3-4 years of the contract he will probably be a backup goalie

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
i expect the exact same as this season...him being in and out of the lineup, and playing terrible when he does play

you people who think he is majically going to return to vezina form are dreaming....those days are long gone

Well, there’s no certainty here. He may bounce back to Vezina form, or he may crap the bed. He’s had a garbage year, no doubt, but so did the team. However, it is far too early to just state Price is done with any certainty because a lot can change with the team in the next 6-8 months.

I mean, it’s like me stating that because we need some size up front, that we are going to draft Ryan McLeod with a top-5 pick because he fills in some check boxes for us and has had success in juniors. :sarcasm:

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Roberto Luongo - X
Ryan Miller
Craig Anderson
Peter Budaj
Henrik Lundqvist - X
Pekka Rinne - X
Mike Smith - X
Kari Lehtonen
Curtis McElhinney
Antti Niemi
  • Luongo was barely an average goalie last year and has admittedly been good this year in limited action. He hasn't had a "GREAT!" season since 2011.
  • Miller has been average at best since he left St. Louis. Decent this year as a backup.
  • Anderson has been awful this year. Someone may take a flyer on him but I'd guess he's toast.
  • Budaj posted. .898 last year and .878 this year. Stick a fork in him.
  • Lundqvist will have a job, but he was below average last year and barely average this year. His days of anything better are over.
  • Rinne has turned back the clock this year but I'd be awfully cautious about expecting a repeat if I were in David Poile's shoes. He was coming off a bad season then just an OK season before finding his old self in the playoffs. Very streaky.
  • Smith was bad to horrible for five years straight before this one. If I were Calgary I'd seek a trade partner and try to sell high.
  • Lehtonen has been putrid to barely OK for 4-6 years now.
  • McElhinney has just 180 career GP, he's a nothingburger.
  • Niemi may end up a backup somewhere next year but the end is definitely near.
If that's the kind of company Price will keep.. yeah, the contract stinks.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Price for Draisidl and (Lucic to make the cap work as an incentive)
One of Edmonton's problems is that their secondary scoring depth starts & almost ends with Draisaitl. No way in hell they deal him for a 30+ goalie who may or may not be taking on an "injury prone" reputation, and end up in a situation where they've got McDavid and a bunch of scrap for forwards.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yup. I only think it happens if he's tired of the losing the next few years

I suppose he can hope for Seattle to pull a VGK, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, from Seattle's perspective, this works if they are having trouble meeting the cap floor.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
No one wants carey price. thats the worst contract in hockey. only way we get rid of that contract is by shipping off a lottery first to a team with LOADS of cap room.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Unclewhalebone

Aug 28, 2009

Lol...I totally forgot the exchange rate in there. Itza big pizza pie.

no way he would average 60 games over that entire contract....when you account for injuries, plus the last 3-4 years of the contract he will probably be a backup goalie

I really hope you are wrong on this, even though this is a very possible scenario.

1 more step - $175000/gm. ~30shots/game. => $5833 per shot. That should cover the cost of inflation I suppose.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I suppose he can hope for Seattle to pull a VGK, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, from Seattle's perspective, this works if they are having trouble meeting the cap floor.

Seattle would be in 2020. It's close enough to his home that he'd think about it, no?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Compliance buyouts or Seattle is our best hope at this rate to get rid of the contract, imo, unless we trade him and retain $2m. I don't know of many teams who want even an $8.5m goalie until he's 39 on their payroll. Not everyone is Roberto Luongo who can perform at such a high level at that age.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Compliance buyouts or Seattle is our best hope at this rate to get rid of the contract, imo, unless we trade him and retain $2m. I don't know of many teams who want even an $8.5m goalie until he's 39 on their payroll. Not everyone is Roberto Luongo who can perform at such a high level at that age.
Luongo, the King, Rinne, Belfour, Hasek, lots of goalies have done this.........Price will be fine for the next 5-6 seasons...it seems lots of people over-reacting right now, because the guy has had a tough season...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Luongo, the King, Rinne, Belfour, Hasek, lots of goalies have done this.........Price will be fine for the next 5-6 seasons...it seems lots of people over-reacting right now, because the guy has had a tough season...

This season kind of reminds me of Ed Belfour’s 01/02 season.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

those goalies were not constantly plagued with injuries, and never missed half a season, or almost entire seasons

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014

But that doesn't happen all that often, I mentioned 33, but over 35 it is even more dramatic. In the last 5 years, there are usually only about 2 guys over over 35 seeing meaningful minutes - two of those years there was no one.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Rinne is currently on the "good" side of a "good/bad/good/bad" stretch of seasons; Luongo & Lundqvist are well past their prime and only a bit above average these days; Belfour was bad for most of his last six years; and Hasek was a freak of nature who shouldn't be used as a comparable for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad