GDT: Caps vs Lighting 7PM Mar 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it was Mike Richards who said players typically lose their hands when they get older.

Hard to deny that statement given how Ovechkin, Oshie, and now Backstrom suddenly can’t possess the puck and stickhandle like they used to.

Even guys like Crosby and Malkin aren’t nearly the players they used to be with the puck on their stick.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think it was Mike Richards who said players typically lose their hands when they get older.

Hard to deny that statement given how Ovechkin, Oshie, and now Backstrom suddenly can’t possess the puck and stickhandle like they used to.

Even guys like Crosby and Malkin aren’t nearly the players they used to be with the puck on their stick.
Can confirm. These guys play a different sport than me and I’m not 1/100th of the players they are but after turning 35 or so I definitely can’t handle like I used to even just a few years ago. I’ve also found that tipping pucks has become a lot harder. I used to be able to deflect any shot and now I whiff a lot. Getting old sucks!

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Can confirm. These guys play a different sport than me and I’m not 1/100th of the players they are but after turning 35 or so I definitely can’t handle like I used to even just a few years ago. I’ve also found that tipping pucks has become a lot harder. I used to be able to deflect any shot and now I whiff a lot. Getting old sucks!

Play…more…Elden Ring

Reactions: usiel

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
“A lot of frustration on the bench”…..

Might I say….Alexa….

1680223880103.gif

Reactions: Cappy76

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I feel like research is mixed on this subject. There was like one analysis that showed a marginal decline in save percentage on the second of b2b games but since then I think there’s been little effect shown?

Not positive on this though. I’ll have to dig it up.
I really feel like the idea of a goalie being too tired to play back to backs is absurd. How tiring can it be for a pro goalie to be in net a second night? It's not like they are in action a full 60 mins of every game. If anything I would expect a #1 D and the top forward line to be more tired on a back to back.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Caps' passing tonight seems even more poorly targeted than normal. So many culprits but noticing Mantha and Nicky moreso than others.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I think you just applied hyperbole to what I said. I never said all hope is lost. I’m on a hockey board chatting about a possible scenario and trying to gauge other people’s thoughts. Holy over reaction Batman.
I think our defence looks good for next season, and along with Kuemper that means we should be keeping the goals against down.

My concern is with the forward group and goal scoring.

And of course whoever our next head coach is.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I really feel like the idea of a goalie being too tired to play back to backs is absurd. How tiring can it be for a pro goalie to be in net a second night? It's not like they are in action a full 60 mins of every game. If anything I would expect a #1 D and the top forward line to be more tired on a back to back.

I’d be more interested in injury data in goalies playing b2b than anything, though I imagine the sample size is way too small to glean anything useful.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010

I've never played the position nor worn the gear, but I think goalie gear is heavy and the guy is usually out there for the full 60. From an older article on nhl.com:
Washington Capitals goalie Braden Holtby told the Washington Post in 2016 he can lose 10-13 pounds during a game despite drinking 16-17 liters of liquid on a game day.
And the position requires arguably more concentration and mental toughness than a skater.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad