GDT: Caps vs Lighting 7PM Mar 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I do feel bad for the new guys brought in from losing situations who actually performed at or above what was expected of them yet they still find themselves on another bad team. Milano and Strome specifically were positive contributors yet they are missing out on the postseason again through no real fault of their own.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I believe it's much healthier for the players to retain some shred of dignity and self respect despite it being a difficult year. Athletes play best when they're confident and focused, and that's how I want them to return next year. I don't want them to spend all summer dreading next year because all they do anymore is lose.

We're talking about a franchise whose captain rallied them to the Stanley Cup with "WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE f***ING SUCK THIS YEAR".

Losing can motivate. Making the playoffs and shitting out in the first round yet again is the status quo and probably does jack shit for dignity and self-respect.

Sometimes you need to fail, a lot, before you get sick of the status quo and do what it takes to win.

Reactions: max21 and Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
5+ min in and I think the Caps had possession in the offensive zone for maybe 3 seconds

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
DK playing B2B is a terrible idea, if they want to win.

For tanking purposes, it’s beautiful.

I feel like research is mixed on this subject. There was like one analysis that showed a marginal decline in save percentage on the second of b2b games but since then I think there’s been little effect shown?

Not positive on this though. I’ll have to dig it up.

Reactions: RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I feel like research is mixed on this subject. There was like one analysis that showed a marginal decline in save percentage on the second of b2b games but since then I think there’s been little effect shown?

Not positive on this though. I’ll have to dig it up.
Plus Chuck has been a total sieve lately. Hobson’s choice for Lavi & co I suppose.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
giphy.gif

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
There's already a losing culture in the locker room. What does winning this game do for the organization? Coach(s) gone after this season. Can't get into the POs. Lavi isn't playing a bunch of new players to assess their capabilities. Sooooo...pride and maybe some newer players want to prove themselves? Ok.

I'd rather us lose the rest of the games in the RS and gain a better draft pick than us winning 50% of the remainder and gain nothing.
I expect organisation or fans to prefer tanking, but I hope players are out to win.

Reactions: PlushMinus

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I always root for us to win. Especially since we really aren’t in the actual running, as far as I understand it anyway, for Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov. Yes, it’s supposedly a strong draft year, but purposely tanking to improve — marginally — your draft spot? It just seems dumb. Especially when i look at how imperfect the process of drafting is overall. Some absolute gems are picked in later rounds or are not drafted at all. And plenty who are picked in first or second round turn out not to be NHL quality. To me, the front office should concentrate on drafting better and smarter. And on the ice, with whatever personnel are available that night, try to f******* win. As a Caps fan from their very first season on, i just can’t root for them to lose, ever. It’s too deep a habit
Can’t like this enough….I just can’t root for a loss myself.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
So let’s say that the following forwards are back next year:
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Wilson
Strome
Milano
Dowd
Oshie
Kubel
Protas

Defense:
Sandin
Carlson
Alexeyev
Carlson
Jensen
TVR
Fever

That assumes Kuzy and Mantha are moved and Sheary is not resigned.

Are they really going to be that much better of a team? There could be more turn over but if not I would be hard pressed to believe the results would be drastically different.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So let’s say that the following forwards are back next year:
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Wilson
Strome
Milano
Dowd
Oshie
Kubel
Protas

Defense:
Sandin
Carlson
Alexeyev
Carlson
Jensen
TVR
Fever

That assumes Kuzy and Mantha are moved and Sheary is not resigned.

Are they really going to be that much better of a team? There could be more turn over but if not I would be hard pressed to believe the results would be drastically different.
Yep, all hope is lost. New coaches, other new players, a healthier Wilson and Backstrom, none of it will matter.

• Wow
Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad