GDT: Caps vs Lighting 7PM Mar 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
All you had to do was bench backstrom and oshie... instead you went with this rofl.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Yep, all hope is lost. New coaches, other new players, a healthier Wilson and Backstrom, none of it will matter.
I think you just applied hyperbole to what I said. I never said all hope is lost. I’m on a hockey board chatting about a possible scenario and trying to gauge other people’s thoughts. Holy over reaction Batman.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So let’s say that the following forwards are back next year:
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Wilson
Strome
Milano
Dowd
Oshie
Kubel
Protas

Defense:
Sandin
Carlson
Alexeyev
Carlson
Jensen
TVR
Fever

That assumes Kuzy and Mantha are moved and Sheary is not resigned.

Are they really going to be that much better of a team? There could be more turn over but if not I would be hard pressed to believe the results would be drastically different.
With 3 possible good additions not listed here? Sure….they could be.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think you just applied hyperbole to what I said. I never said all hope is lost. I’m on a hockey board chatting about a possible scenario and trying to gauge other people’s thoughts. Holy over reaction Batman.
Honestly, it's just exhausting. The team is having a bad year. They're working on it, but every day, 100 times a day, there's hopeless posting. It's a drag.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Are they really going to be that much better of a team? There could be more turn over but if not I would be hard pressed to believe the results would be drastically different.
Seems like they may need Wilson to be a 60+ point player and their most consistently effective forward next year. I guess we'll see if he's that guy and whether they do well enough elsewhere to make it close. They probably need two pretty decent top six forwards (actual play drivers) and a capable LD to have much of a shot.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Of course you're not just asking whether they will be better. You're strongly implying that they won't/can't. But that's fine. I'm just gonna try to use the GDT to discuss the game.
Right, typically when you engage in a discussion one gives their opinion and then you ask others their opinion.

I literally ask that question in my post. Notice the question mark.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I can’t envision a scenario where Backstrom is playing significant minutes next year and the team is competitive.

Even if you assume a full offseason of rehab helps him it’s hard to see him contributing much because he is literally the worst forward in the NHL when it comes to GAR as it relates to ES offense. How much higher can an offseason realistically take him from “literally the worst”? Maybe he ascends to replacement level, but again simple aging is also working against him.

I still contend that LTIRetirement is their most realistic path to contention next year.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Seems like they may need Wilson to be a 60+ point player and their most consistently effective forward next year. I guess we'll see if he's that guy and whether they do well enough elsewhere to make it close. They probably need two pretty decent top six forwards (actual play drivers) and a capable LD to have much of a shot.
I would agree. Someone will have to step up their production in a sizable way.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Guilty! Guilty!
shame-ring.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad