Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Nets, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Alzner is no worse defensively than Niskanen. Niskanen is able to move and possess the puck more on that pairing because Alzner covers him and retrieves it for him/gets it to him exceptionally well. He also almost never gets burned which is huge and lets his partner play with more freedom.

Might as well call John Erskine out of retirement if you're going for Hainsey.

These are all very nice descriptions of why Alzner is a safe and indeed above average defensive defenseman.

But he is absolutely brutal offensively and it actively hinders the Capitals at 5v5.

I went more in depth here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=125441857&postcount=960

Niskanen has had a ton of defensive partners throughout his career (some of them really bad) and he has almost always made them look better in any metric. Meanwhile, Alzner has had basically 3 partners for the vast majority of his career (Carlson, Green, and Niskanen) and they have generally fared better away from Alzner than with him.

This is why I am extremely interested with the new pairings. If Alzner truly is an elite shutdown guy then the Carlson/Alzner pairing should fare well.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
agreed, I'm saying this avatar is a hands down playoff theme winner. :laugh:

<<<< I'm on board.

We lost Semin and Green for nothing. Under Leonsis, trading players like Ovie, Backstrom and Holtby will NEVER happen, period.

They probably go for a stupid trade like getting rid of Samsonov or Bowey for another aging shutdown defenseman... :laugh:

McPhee is in Vegas now, I think we are safe.

Alzner needs to be priority number one to re-sign, Oshie number two, Kuznetsov number three or two A. JC74 is the expendable one, with Bowey in the wings.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Alzner needs to be priority number one to re-sign, Oshie number two, Kuznetsov number three or two A. JC74 is the expendable one, with Bowey in the wings.

I think it should Kuznetsov, then Alzner, then Oshie. 2C is important and we don't have anyone to take this role. While we can survive without Alzner and Oshie.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Say it with me now, "We're keeping Alzner and Holtby."

There...

...feels good doesn't it?

Why the **** would we consider losing either of the best, most reliable playoff performers on our roster who are in their prime years?

Jesus people...I know we're down a few whipping boys with Laich gone and Mojo playing great...but pull yourselves together.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Say it with me now, "We're keeping Alzner and Holtby."

There...

...feels good doesn't it?

Why the **** would we consider losing either of the best, most reliable playoff performers on our roster who are in their prime years?

Jesus people...I know we're down a few whipping boys with Laich gone and Mojo playing great...but pull yourselves together.

It's called a salary cap. Big points to gmbm if he can't keep Oshie Carlson Alzner and Holtby

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
:facepalm: this thread, and our board.

Caps win against a surging divisional rival on the road......in a pretty convincing fashion....and all we see for the majority of the GDT is how either Holtby or Alzner are overrated, overpaid, and need to go.

:help: as usual, this place isn't worth visiting. Yeah yeah. I will get told to stop reading, or to try and make an argument against the negativity. Sure. That seems to work well. Solid plan.

This board blows

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

Caps win against a surging divisional rival on the road......in a pretty convincing fashion....and all we see for the majority of the GDT is how either Holtby or Alzner are overrated, overpaid, and need to go.

:help: as usual, this place isn't worth visiting. Yeah yeah. I will get told to stop reading, or to try and make an argument against the negativity. Sure. That seems to work well. Solid plan.

This board blows

Most people are just bored as hell because the regular season with this particular Caps team means exactly diddley pooh...

...I've been steering clear since the last game that mattered for the most part.

I can't say that I'm regretting it...

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

This board blows

We want them both. But won't happen in the salary cap world unless we are proactive

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Welcome to the salary cap and advanced stats world. You're only as good as your last shift if your AAV is right...ups and downs, humanity be damned.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

This board blows

It really is pretty ridiculous. Holtby is a top 5 goalie and people want to get rid of him? Alzner is quiet, which is good. No silly turnovers and a very good defender. If Vrana continues to develop and Bura somehow snaps out of his funk we will be a trade or two short from really contending. I would not be surprised to see us go after someone from Vancouver or Arizona. Maybe a player like Vrbata or Burrows.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

This board blows

:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad