Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Nets, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
:facepalm: this thread, and our board.

Caps win against a surging divisional rival on the road......in a pretty convincing fashion....and all we see for the majority of the GDT is how either Holtby or Alzner are overrated, overpaid, and need to go.

:help: as usual, this place isn't worth visiting. Yeah yeah. I will get told to stop reading, or to try and make an argument against the negativity. Sure. That seems to work well. Solid plan.

This board blows

Thank you for explaining my absence!:handclap:

Somebody get the door for me. :wally:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
vs.
Col
@ Van
@ Car
@ Cbj
vs. Buf
@ Buf

Maybe it's just me but it's pretty early to start declaring Phillip Grubauer as the starting goalie. He plays ridiculously easy competition. There is a thread following the goalie strength of schedule on the 'by the numbers' -section.

Good win. Trade Holtby and Kuznetsov.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Third line got between 7 and 10 minutes last night. Feed them more ice time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
:facepalm: this thread, and our board.

Caps win against a surging divisional rival on the road......in a pretty convincing fashion....and all we see for the majority of the GDT is how either Holtby or Alzner are overrated, overpaid, and need to go.

:help: as usual, this place isn't worth visiting. Yeah yeah. I will get told to stop reading, or to try and make an argument against the negativity. Sure. That seems to work well. Solid plan.

This board blows

Good times huh Rids?!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Sure, I can contribute thoughts about the last game.

++Vrana looks quite promising.
+Kuz keeps getting some assists.

--No offensive flow, as usual

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
It's a message board and people will talk about whatever they want.

Revelation just suggested making a high risk trade to make the team better (in his opinion) and extend the Cup window for a few more years.

I honestly don't give a crap about Holtby, Ovechkin, or any other player. I cheer for the Washington Capitals and the name in the front is WAY MORE important than the names in the back.

That's how professional sports work. Nobody should be untouchable for the right price. As far as I saw, he didn't say trade Holts for a bug of pucks. He's saying he would trade Holtby for top end skaters+futures considering the Caps have the one of the best goalie prospects in the world in the pipes.

I really don't see a reason for the outrage. It's just a freaking proposal. :laugh:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I found the suggestion that Grubauer is ready to be a starter more ridiculous than trading Holtby.

If we should trade a star Backstrom and Ovechkin are far more replaceable within the roster. An elite #1 D would be nice for one of them would be nice, but then we'd have a pretty weak offense. Right now our Offense, Defense, and Goaltending are pretty balanced right now, no need to do anything major at all. The only motive to trade a star right now is locker room issues.

Last edited:

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
It's a message board and people will talk about whatever they want.

Revelation just suggested making a high risk trade to make the team better (in his opinion) and extend the Cup window for a few more years.

I honestly don't give a crap about Holtby, Ovechkin, or any other player. I cheer for the Washington Capitals and the name in the front is WAY MORE important than the names in the back.

That's how professional sports work. Nobody should be untouchable for the right price. As far as I saw, he didn't say trade Holts for a bug of pucks. He's saying he would trade Holtby for top end skaters+futures considering the Caps have the one of the best goalie prospects in the world in the pipes.

I really don't see a reason for the outrage. It's just a freaking proposal. :laugh:

exactly, thank you for being more polite than i am :)

puck832

Jul 29, 2007
I agree this place is almost unreadable lately and it shows in the number of posters/posts.

Its not doom and gloom vs blind optimism anymore, its the same five people arguing with or responding to each other ignoring most other posts and driving their agendas.

I've been reading here after almost every game for years but only posted a few times. I helped come up with the "because its the caps" playoff theme years ago because we were a good team and a little lighthearted self deprecation was fun and could preemptively stop people from responding "never won anything." when discussing the Caps.

Now coming here ruins the game for me. They are a good team with several likable players, one of which is one of if not the best goalscorer of all time, a Vezina winning goalie and a Jack Adams winning coach who is great person as well as a great coach and this is what I have to come to after a good win against a rival and a five game winning streak.

This is sad and there's a reason the GDT are five pages

I hope they do win a cup so people can see it doesn't change their life at all and they missed out on rooting for their team along the way.

Sorry for the long post.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I agree this place is almost unreadable lately and it shows in the number of posters/posts.

Its not doom and gloom vs blind optimism anymore, its the same five people arguing with or responding to each other ignoring most other posts and driving their agendas.

I've been reading here after almost every game for years but only posted a few times. I helped come up with the "because its the caps" playoff theme years ago because we were a good team and a little lighthearted self deprecation was fun and could preemptively stop people from responding "never won anything." when discussing the Caps.

Now coming here ruins the game for me. They are a good team with several likable players, one of which is one of if not the best goalscorer of all time, a Vezina winning goalie and a Jack Adams winning coach who is great person as well as a great coach and this is what I have to come to after a good win against a rival and a five game winning streak.

I hope they do win a cup so people can see it doesn't change their life at all and they missed out on rooting for their team along the way.

Sorry for the long post.

I agree with a lot of this, but I still really enjoy the in-game GDTs. Yes, they spiral into pissing matches once the games are over, but they are usually full of engaged, mostly positive or light hearted posts when the games are actually being played.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Sorry for the long post.

There are a lot of positives to root for as a fan, unfortunately advanced stats and the salary cap have caused some posters to hyperfocus on the negatives all the time.

That's why I've taken the stance that I'm going to enjoy the regular season because it's likely the best time this team will have.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We should do a War of the 5 Kings GOT-style playoff theme. Engaged in the war are House Twabby, House Hivemind, House Ridley Simon, House CCF and last but not least, House TXMD.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is a GDT. We have traditions here some hold sacred and others don't.

In general and across ALL of HF, GDTs are a little more lax when it comes to staying on topic and things like emoticons or one word posts. We can't expect every single post to be about what's happening in the game, nor can we move/edit/delete every post that isn't.

Some posters complain about too much moderation and others complain about not enough. When we let some things slide then people bemoan the lack of standards. When we enforce the rules they call us nazis. Can't please everyone, right? Then people get mad and the threads become about the threads. So one thing we don't allow is complaining about moderation in the forums. See our site and local rules for details and options for complaints/suggestions.

If a post violates a rule, report it and don't respond. Other than that just move on.

As for the board activity, I agree that it's gotten tedious due to a few posters making the same arguments over and over again but ultimately this is USER GENERATED CONTENT we are getting for free. If we don't like what's being posted then it's up to us to make it better. This isn't a site that cranks out articles and has paid staff anymore. It's a message board with fans talking to fans about hockey. So let's do that.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I will admit as a casual poster here I can see it gets hostile pretty often. That being said I haven't been innocent in my comments towards players/the team.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is accurate. The truth I guess...insofar as the brain can grasp it.

The ignore function still exists, yes? Maybe some people should use it.

Meh. That's a cop out. This isn't about wanting to ignore people. It's just about following the internal forum rules (some posted, some "known") and don't litter every thread. Ignore deletes all, and that's again not the point.

It's good to read contrarian views. Just not the same ones about the same stuff in every thread. I'm sure you can see the difference in that thought process.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I will admit as a casual poster here I can see it gets hostile pretty often. That being said I haven't been innocent in my comments towards players/the team.

People also forget about the amount of pure trash posting that's gone on in the past. As someone who's had to wade through almost every post the last few years there's been a lot less of it than before, partly because some of the worst offenders have posted their way off the site.

IMO the bickering here about a few players also pales in comparison to the never ending arguments about guys like Laich, Green, Semin, etc.

Someone mentioned the comments at Japers are also slowing down. I've noticed similar at WaPo when I've checked some of their articles. It's not just here. People always take a wait and see approach when the Caps seem to peak and or disappoint in the playoffs.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
People also forget about the amount of pure trash posting that's gone on in the past. As someone who's had to wade through almost every post the last few years there's been a lot less of it than before, partly because some of the worst offenders have posted their way off the site.

IMO the bickering here about a few players also pales in comparison to the never ending arguments about guys like Laich, Green, Semin, etc.

Someone mentioned the comments at Japers are also slowing down. I've noticed similar at WaPo when I've checked some of their articles. It's not just here. People always take a wait and see approach when the Caps seem to peak and or disappoint in the playoffs.

Pretty much watched every game last year, only really watching games this year if they're up against a good team. Kind of just waiting around until april really.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pretty much watched every game last year, only really watching games this year if they're up against a good team. Kind of just waiting around until april really.

I've skipped more Caps games this season than the previous 20 years combined.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's good to read contrarian views. Just not the same ones about the same stuff in every thread. I'm sure you can see the difference in that thought process.
Not that you or I haven't harped on certain things in the past...

So much of the regular season is not primarily focused on just each individual game in a vacuum, though, especially when they're often not particularly action-packed. It's about the overarching story and some, myself included, have their pet peeves. I'd stick to the game action itself if the games were played with more engagement shift-to-shift. Lately they're taking care of business against weaker teams, which is great and needed. Competition within the Metro is forcing them to focus and yet they often still seem to be coasting along. At least they seem to be building a more legit third line now with Vrana. Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad