Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Nets, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm pretty sure 99% of the "tedious" criticism is directed toward me (with the other 1% going to Revelation I guess).

This forum is kind of a sandbox for me to build and refine ideas and then engage in discussion with other people. Sometimes I agree with the majority (Holtby is really good), and many times I have opposing viewpoints. But either way I think it's usually worth it to dig a little deeper rather than just accept something as true just because it seems obvious, and yes sometimes this creates walls of text and tables.

I can keep these posts in the Roster/Lines thread if that's what's preferred.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm pretty sure 99% of the "tedious" criticism is directed toward me (with the other 1% going to Revelation I guess).

This forum is kind of a sandbox for me to build and refine ideas and then engage in discussion with other people. Sometimes I agree with the majority (Holtby is really good), and many times I have opposing viewpoints. But either way I think it's usually worth it to dig a little deeper rather than just accept something as true just because it seems obvious, and yes sometimes this creates walls of text and tables.

I like that there's an alternative voice around here these days. For a long time we fell into groupthink on all but a few subjects (the whipping boys).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I will admit as a casual poster here I can see it gets hostile pretty often. That being said I haven't been innocent in my comments towards players/the team.

People get passionate about their sports teams. It's the constant over analysis and harping on stats and cap hit vs player performance, with seemingly little understanding of team chemistry, human psyche/ups and downs, roles, etc...that's tedious IMO. The NHL has become "what have you done for me lately" for a small section of fans. That said, it's a free country, post what you want within the rules and read what you want. Ignore the rest. Debate can be healthy.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
He'd be Varys. Very smart, but no one actually knows what he really wants :laugh:

You don't know what Langway wants?

He wants us to play cohesive offensive hockey and develop our players to go beyond individually brilliant plays mixed in with dump and chase and the low hockey IQ crap we've seen for years. The Caps offensive game has seemed rudementary for several years now and shows no real signs of going beyond "try harder than the other guy"... even though when you look at the roster you see the potential for much more progression. It's simply got to happen for the org to advance further than it has.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
That's it in a nutshell. It would help if the purported franchise player wasn't their worst possession player so far. Not much of a tone setter...

A large part of driving play more dynamically is managing to get more out of 8 but also more brilliant play up the middle from 19 and 92. 92 is coming around but outside of a week or so 19 needs to be more of a consistent impact player offensively. Much like some other players, Trotz needs to get away from fixating on match-ups so heavily and work toward taking more care of their own attacking details. They often have the puck a lot, which mostly leaves just one area to hammer down. I just wonder if that's going to happen ahead of the curve since it has yet to. They work moderately hard and the system puts them in decent position but execution could always be better. Work ethic in practice and film study need to be just as much a supplement than the belief that momentary improvised acts of will are enough. The game is improvisation but they can definitely think the game better situationally to exhibit more of the poise they've often lacked in pressure situations.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

That's so egocentric, the world is spinning around you :laugh: I'm pretty sure it's not the case. In fact, I personally like what you and Revelation have posted so far. Certainly things to think and usually a good invite to a discussion.

IMHO the regulars who post often and involved only in conversation with each other with rare remarks to others ala "in our old good days kids behaved better" :laugh: - are killing this board.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Am I wrong for saying we're close to the definition of a paper tiger?

We can be, unfortunately last year we were. Underlying numbers going to the playoff were suggesting that and the result proved that. I hope though this year we are more a sleeping giant rather than paper tiger. Hopefully going to the postseason our young guns catch fire and the veterans will be veterans.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We can be, unfortunately last year we were. Underlying numbers going to the playoff were suggesting that and the result proved that. I hope though this year we are more a sleeping giant rather than paper tiger. Hopefully going to the postseason our young guns catch fire and the veterans will be veterans.

This is so true. 14th in CF% will not get it done in the playoffs and hasn't since 1993 (with the exception of the '09 Pens).

That being said, this season the "underlying" numbers look very good (PDO is still too high). I know it is still relatively early but I really hope they can keep it up as they head toward April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad