GDT: Capitals at Rangers Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Someone remind me - did Torts win with this same BS scheme in Tampa?

His motto down there was "safe is death," IINM. Seems like a total 180 to me but others may have looked deeper at it. And of course a lot of it could be related to team construction as well...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The fourth line hasn't really stood out much to me, but they've all done pretty well killing penalties. Speaking of PK, Coulda Had Getzlaf is 2nd on the team in SHTOI/G, but the one stat that stood out to me is that Backstrom is #1, nearly 1 minute more than Fehr per game.

I think a 4th lines time to shine is in the playoffs. Ours has largely gone invisible.

I think its time to revisit my theory that breaking up the 4th line (when it never looked better all year), to get Ward a jersey, may not automatically pay dividends.

All of them alone as individuals are fine players. A welcome addition to our PK. But my argument was about lines. No one but me wanted to try Erat on 1 for a shift or 2 because of the chemistry MJ has on 1. What about chemistry on 4?

Sure Ward deserves a spot because he scored that OT goal last year, but it seems the NHL is often about, what have you done for me lately.

Ask Jeff Schultz. Plus Fiddy seems but a dream. Salary does not dictate you play. You have to fit into the lineup. At full health, guys that someone doesn't want to sit, sits.

If Laich is healthy, do we blindly scratch Hendricks and go for the softest lineup we have had all year? 4 scoring lines means moar scoarers!

/end rant cuing Ward to end our winless streak up 2-0

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Someone remind me - did Torts win with this same BS scheme in Tampa?

Pre-lockout #1, so more clutching and grabbing and less sit back and block shots.

http://www.realboltsfans.com/JohnTortorella.htm

Interesting tidbit from this site.

Tortorella has been touted league-wide for his aggressive forechecking schemes and more open offensive system, one which injects high-energy and excitement into the game for fans and players alike. His 2003-04 team tallied a franchise all-time high 245 goals as many of his Lightning players established personal bests in goals, assists and points. He now has 121 wins with the Lightning, ranking him second on the team’s all-time wins list.

I also remember a quote from Tortorella last season or playoffs claiming that because the offensive zone was widened by moving the blue line back, the need arose to collapse in front to block shots instead of chasing the d at the point.

I can't find that one.

bonzilla

Aug 3, 2005
Va
If I were a Rangers fan, I am not sure how I would feel about running Clowe and Staal out, particularly on the latter, if his vision is impaired.

You know the refs will call it tight tonight after last nights festivities in Ottawa. Advantage us, I'd say.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Torts still uses essentially the same offensive zone forecheck that he used in Tampa. An aggressive 2-1-2 that forces the other team behind their own goal line. That's the part of his scheme is that is far from "safe." The "safe" part of his system is his collapsing box +1 scheme in the defensive zone. That's also what neuters his offense, since his team can't breakout with much speed after playing so deep in their own zone and their best chance at a turnover being a blocked shot or rebound.

Worth noting the horses he had while in Tampa. He had a bunch of high octane, offensive players in their prime (St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Boyle), and some quality complimentary pieces (Stillman, Andreychuk, Modin) to really help drive his offense. Not that he's bereft of talent in New York, but he certainly doesn't have the type of offensive talents he had with prime Lecavalier and St. Louis.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Torts still uses essentially the same offensive zone forecheck that he used in Tampa. An aggressive 2-1-2 that forces the other team behind their own goal line. That's the part of his scheme is that is far from "safe." The "safe" part of his system is his collapsing box +1 scheme in the defensive zone. That's also what neuters his offense, since his team can't breakout with much speed after playing so deep in their own zone and their best chance at a turnover being a blocked shot or rebound.

Worth noting the horses he had while in Tampa. He had a bunch of high octane, offensive players in their prime (St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Boyle), and some quality complimentary pieces (Stillman, Andreychuk, Modin) to really help drive his offense. Not that he's bereft of talent in New York, but he certainly doesn't have the type of offensive talents he had with prime Lecavalier and St. Louis.

Don't be daft. He has Stepan. Stepan>St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Boyle

abdew29

Aug 4, 2011
Toronto
Maple Leafs fan here with unconventional love for the Capitals and an undeniable bromance for Ovechkin saying: GOOD LUCK!!! DESTROY THE RAGS!

:handclap::5::highclap::hockey::wave::bb::walrus:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Don't be daft. He has Stepan. Stepan>St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Boyle

Whatever. Stefan is sucks in paloffs!

Not Fonzie's fault...ever.

As much as some don't like GMGM and Ted how would you like Dolan and Sather in their stead?

On some level you feel for Rangers fans on that one.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Pre-lockout #1, so more clutching and grabbing and less sit back and block shots.

http://www.realboltsfans.com/JohnTortorella.htm

Interesting tidbit from this site.

I also remember a quote from Tortorella last season or playoffs claiming that because the offensive zone was widened by moving the blue line back, the need arose to collapse in front to block shots instead of chasing the d at the point.

I can't find that one.

I found the quote.

Question starts at 9:15

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
1233257786_the%20moment%20before%20ko.gif

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
thats true, but the conversation could have been about callahan who would have been on the pp and first out on the pk. he would also have been out against ovechkin with mcdonagh.

i am fairly sure that beyond the extreme case of mcdonagh there were other rangers skated to dust in that period of time.

callahan was on the ice for the winner. he was the guy that bit so hard on the ribeiro fake.

I listened to Greenberg on the way in this AM on 106.7. Greenberg's initial point was that Oates may be the perfect coach for this team and he did a bit of comparison to the two predecessors (noting that BB could get rattled at times and that Hunter was one dimensional, he sees Oates as maintaining an even keel), then Greenberg proceeded to discuss how Oates had out coached Torts in Game 2. He mentioned how McD had been on the ice for over two minutes when the Rangers iced the puck. Not having the opportunity to make a change due to the icing, Torts took the time out to give his guys a breather. Oates opted to roll the 3rd line to do some more grinding on the Rangers players on ice to include McD, which subsequently resulted in the delay of game on McD and the PP for the Caps. Greenberg did not mention it but I thought I heard somewhere that during that time McD had been on the ice for 3+ minutes, Oates had rolled three separate lines.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
anyone remember how the rangers targeted mike green and nick backstrom's head last playoffs because they had recent concussions? just a reminder.

I remember Stepan two years ago elbowing Green and he never got called for it. I was at that game. I think Green had just come back from an injury and as a result of the Stepan hit he was out again. Caps never made Stepan answer for that hit which pissed me off. That's why I was glad to see that Green's game winner from game two went in off of Stepan.

Liberati0n*

Volpatti is going to have the same problem as Hendricks, most likely. What allows them to succeed in the regular season is their higher work rate and tenacity. Those things increase for everyone in the playoffs and disadvantage guys like them. If Volpatti comes in it should be for Hendricks, IMO, anyway. Ward is just a better hockey player than either of them, playoff heroics aside, and should stay in.

Vladiator16*

So, looks like Stall is in... Come on Patty give him Mike Green treatment.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Volpatti is going to have the same problem as Hendricks, most likely. What allows them to succeed in the regular season is their higher work rate and tenacity. Those things increase for everyone in the playoffs and disadvantage guys like them. If Volpatti comes in it should be for Hendricks, IMO, anyway. Ward is just a better hockey player than either of them, playoff heroics aside, and should stay in.

the volpatti thing was a joke. hendricks, iirc, was awesome last playoffs. so, i am not sure its about the raise in play for the playoffs erases their work ethic advantage. remember hendricks total destruction of mcdonah in ot last season that nearly resulted in brouwer scoring the game winner?

i think beagle has made several strong plays and has been good on the forecheck. i think ward has been good. i think hendricks has been more quiet than you would expect only. maybe he is dinged. maybe is chances havent come up yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad