GDT: Capitals at Rangers Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks Bob and Nobody. Greenberg did mention Callahan's name though, a few times.

Without over thinking it, I would say three scoring lines, no checking line, is almost the definition of run and gun. Defensemen actively joining the rush, all of them, is the icing on the cake.

We have a real life breakout folks.

Under Bruce, it was the home run pass to Ovi or bust, sometimes a hard around to a cap at the center line on the wall.
Under Dale, it was a small right angle chip off the boards towards a would be cap. Epic Fail.
Under Oates, guys are flying out with speed. Dmen often have 2 diagonal options to hit in stride. Sometimes the offside Dman is way up ice.

We are definitely getting on our horses moving up ice quick

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
His point was.....in OT, McDonagh has already had a long shift when Torts called a timeout. Torts went ahead and put him back in there and Oates chose to roll the 3rd line, knowing that Torts would either have to keep a gassed McDonagh out there when he went with his 1st line OR give the caps a favorable matchup...

Yep. Immediately after the icing I was sure Oates would put Ovie out there against a tired group of Rangers...

But he didn't. Then at the moment I realized what he was doing. He was hoping to grind that group a bit more and then throw Ovie's line out there when Girardi/McDonald were gassed on the bench.

He forced Torts to decide on whether to chuck Ri Zotto/ Strahlburg or to stay with an exhausted 1st pair. Torts sorta went in halfway and that cost him.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Caps victory tonight.

Boo birds will be out and Rags will get one after game is out of hand and hear Bronx cheers.

Ranger fans continue to hate Holtby.

Curse of Tom Poti continues to haunt.

Doogai dumbfounded that bestest team of all universe Rangers can't beat Caps. He's not impressed yet.

Tortorella gets into heated verbal altercation with Brooks post game and has to issue apology through Rangers front office.

Ryan McDoana plays whole game. Torts would do it again if he had to.

Vladiator16*

Rags have a tough time with Mr. Holtby, I have a feeling they will try to run him this game, if so Big John should just pommel somebody into a bloody pulp...

Don't give them anything and take everything away!!!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It wasn't Callahan that Torts kept out, it was McDonagh. He was at the end of a 3+ minute shift when he committed the DOG penalty.

thats true, but the conversation could have been about callahan who would have been on the pp and first out on the pk. he would also have been out against ovechkin with mcdonagh.

i am fairly sure that beyond the extreme case of mcdonagh there were other rangers skated to dust in that period of time.

callahan was on the ice for the winner. he was the guy that bit so hard on the ribeiro fake.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I wouldn't expect Rags to fold regardless of the score. It's one thing to lose, but they know if they stop playing hard the NY media will tear them to pieces and Torts will put them through a Theon Greyjoy dungeon experience. Also, being scrappy currently seems to be the full 10% of their team identity (the other 90% being Lundquist, ofc), so yeah, you'd expect them to keep scrapping.

Torts might just put them through a Joffrey on Ros type experience.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Thanks Bob and Nobody. Greenberg did mention Callahan's name though, a few times.

Without over thinking it, I would say three scoring lines, no checking line, is almost the definition of run and gun. Defensemen actively joining the rush, all of them, is the icing on the cake.

We have a real life breakout folks.

Under Bruce, it was the home run pass to Ovi or bust, sometimes a hard around to a cap at the center line on the wall.
Under Dale, it was a small right angle chip off the boards towards a would be cap. Epic Fail.
Under Oates, guys are flying out with speed. Dmen often have 2 diagonal options to hit in stride. Sometimes the offside Dman is way up ice.

We are definitely getting on our horses moving up ice quick

The term "run and gun" in just about every sport usually signifies an absence of a "system" and a lack in defensive effort. We do neither. If there is one team in the playoffs running the run and gun its Pittsburgh.

We are very structured. Even when the D pinches up, one of the forwards is always covering for them. We lacked these little things under Bruce, IMO, and that is usually what did us in.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The term "run and gun" in just about every sport usually signifies an absence of a "system" and a lack in defensive effort. We do neither. If there is one team in the playoffs running the run and gun its Pittsburgh.

We are very structured. Even when the D pinches up, one of the forwards is always covering for them. We lacked these little things under Bruce, IMO, and that is usually what did us in.

I would say to me, its more like, pond hockey. Street hockey. Pickup games. Beer League.

But I dont doubt you, so oops. Agreed we are structured. In general, what would you call our offense. Structured?

It seems it often comes down to a very offensive or defensive implied name. Balanced!?

RAG - :yo: I thought it was a vague word that meant in the end, both teams get lots of chances. Shots do not tell the tale but is about the easiest to see.

Game 1: 36 30
Game 2: 24 38

There are certainly lots of chances both ways.

Let me just say that I am thrilled that Nash didnt score and hit the post instead. The NBC guys would have been unwatchable the rest of the playoffs.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
We've got the Rangers cornered.

The question is are they Arnold Schwarzenegger in Predator cornered, or cow at the slaughterhouse cornered.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Tonight, I think, I feel an Eric Fehr goal coming. It's already 1-0 in my mind. Seriously--he seems very determined right now and is doing pretty much everything else right, y'know, as well as he can. The hockey gods are just about to reward him.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I've got class tonight, but campus is in the heart of dooshville Manhattan. Should walk into a Rangers bar around 845. We better be winning big, I want to act like a tool.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Fehr has been a stud. It needs to be said again. He has almost been playing Ovi grade physical. His stickless cleaning out Callahan.gif double minor.com should be posted here for the record.

I wish we could promote Fehr somehow. PP time, its hard to find fault with anything Brouwer has done. With a jack stacked RW, promotions are not going to happen.

Its up to him and MP to team up and crank one past hank
-----
Speaking of MP, another wrinkle that Oates has added late in the year, its the C's hanging out in Gretzky's crib. Behind the goal. We have seen MP do it, and perhaps Ribs, or MJ a little.
-----

This tweet made me laugh. That monotone voice must have hypnotized Torts
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 39m
Torts semi-talkative today, thanks to @ChuckGormleyCSN's questions. Did say writers have "your head stuck in your computers."

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
ZFhlV9A.jpg

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

Oct 18, 2010
Maryland
Tonight, I think, I feel an Eric Fehr goal coming. It's already 1-0 in my mind. Seriously--he seems very determined right now and is doing pretty much everything else right, y'know, as well as he can. The hockey gods are just about to reward him.

I love how when watching NHL Tonight how they pronounce Fehr (Fear) not Fehr (Fair)!!

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
"Fear" absolutely slayed me when I first heard it.

First it was Olesky, now its Fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad