GDT: Capitals at Rangers Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i hate after reading the refs gave the first two games to the caps by ranger fans to see caps fans saying the same after losing a game. that said, i dont understand that too many men thing at all. there were easily more rangers on the ice than caps and the rangers played the puck.

i did get the ov roughing penalty. it wasnt the hit but the hands to the head on that. i dont understand why staal was allowed to punch 85 in the face though.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Good game. Can't win them all.

Sure there were some suspicious calls but I thought the Caps persevered through them well. For the most part I thought the Caps controlled play. Rangers got a few good cycles and capitalized.

Give credit to the Rangers for burying their chances. They didn't seem to get too many but finished on the ones they got.

Caps have to stay disciplined and try not to get too frustrated next time. I'm sure it was hard with the flurry of penalties called in the first half of the game against them.

That too many men...:shakehead

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe they should have gotten a triple minor for TMM

I wonder what happened to Erskine. He got clobbered taking a hit to make a clear and was late out for the 3rd. And he seemed a little slowed after that. For whatever its worth, Carlson at full speed didnt look much better. I wonder if Sarge would get a sweater if a LD needed a game off. To be honest I would want any from Hershey before him. Orlov Schilling.

It was inevitable that a D pair got roughed up though. In their defense, when was the last time all 3 D pairs had a direct hand in a goal? Oates system seems to need offense from his Dmen.

Shuffling the deck would be a knee jerk reaction but I for one wouldn't mind the dangerous risk of one little tinker. Swap two wingers for the 1st period. While everyone on our top line has scored, it wasn't from chemistry nor dominance. And our 2nd line cant score.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
I think people are underselling Lundqvist in their criticism of the 2nd line. They've generated some primo chances in all 3 games that were only stopped because of great goaltending. Oates does not seem to be the type of coach who will only look at results when making lineup decisions. The effort is there, the opportunities are there, the lines will likely remain the same.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RH

Erskine took a hit to make a play and left with an upper body injury so I've read. Good to see him back out.

No changes are needed in the lineup. Caps played very well actually. They dominated 5 on 5 moreso last night than games 1 and 2 in which they had an advantage too.

The D got runnign around a couple times in our own zone but you expect that when you play the Rangers. That is there style. But we cycled in their zone far more often than they did in ours. They maybe got a handful of chances and finished.

Caps play like that they win 9 out 0f 10 times. Hopefully the refs don't have another off night.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
its true that erskine took a hit to the make the play. he had to do that, though, because he squandered all the time and space he had to start with. he had no pressure when he first took possession. frankly his lack of confidence with the puck has him to a point where he has to look at the puck on his stick in order to play it.

the caps gave up a goal maybe the winner, on exactly that kind of deal. rangers dump the puck in and go for a chance. carlson and erskine dribble the puck around so long that the forecheck gets to them and turns the puck over.

its unacceptable. the caps will not advance any further than the past if they have a second pair that cant play the puck like that. it has happened over and over again in this series. carlson passes the puck to erskine behind the net who fumbles it into his skates. he cant find it. he doesnt cleanly pick it on his stick when he does. then he gets hit and has to fight for it along the boards and often loses it.

right now, i would rather have hillen there than erskine if johnny cant fix his yips.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
TX

The ice was awful last night as is the case most nights at MSG. Its May and that was late in the 3rd. Its gonna happen now and then.

No big deal. The whole team played hard and got a couple tough breaks.

Players are going to make mistakes. It happens. Caps deserved to win last night.

It was one of those games where I felt "we didn't lose but just ran out of time". Caps really were imposing their will.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I guess I missed that a Caps extra skater played the puck in the TMM.

The 2nd line has shown good possession especially along the boards. Ribs with his little spin moves has Rags guessing where he will turn next. Erat seems to fizzle out near the end of an otherwise fine shift, and throws a poor % pass, maybe as a I will need a break sign. The guy does hustle and work hard and is quite crafty with the puck.

Something to think about. Is it better to run yourself into the ground, and risk getting caught having to drag back to coverage or to the bench? Versus, going for a goal, even if its a low percentage play, and getting off the ice while you still have energy to do so?

That all said, I would like to see more quality chances from 2.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the rangers played the puck. not the caps. so you didnt miss that. it didnt happen.

br...dont blame the ice. the same problem occurred with regularity in the two games in dc. erskine is the only
defenseman on either team having this problem. if it were once, i'd be wth you. its happening over and over again.

dont make excuses for the guy. this is a new problem and he needs to get over it.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
the rangers played the puck. not the caps. so you didnt miss that. it didnt happen.

br...dont blame the ice. the same problem occurred with regularity in the two games in dc. erskine is the only
defenseman on either team having this problem. if it were once, i'd be wth you. its happening over and over again.

dont make excuses for the guy. this is a new problem and he needs to get over it.

Erskine is not Chris Pronger. He's a solid player the brings more Pros than Cons.

Hillen and Alzner get pushed around too much. Thats a fault of theirs. Erskine isn't the greatest skater nor the most deft stickhandler.

Everyone has their warts. You live with them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Erskine had a monster run to close out the regular season and ensure a playoff spot, while others were watching. They can carry the load now.

Where are the complaints about the loafers during the regular season. Warts come in all forms, including, I am not going to play like I care until the playoffs start. If we make it. This lasts all year and no one complains even as a bubble team.

Erskine could be well be a bit sore as he gives and takes as much as anyone on our blue.

Me, i can live with his warts as long as I continue to see him doing what he brings to the team. Creaming Callahan in the crease for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad