Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose to the Avalanche 3-1 (Miller), Haters can go Cheer for the Oilers

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I know. That's what I said I'm not making rash judgements but it's still disappointing. They need to win some of these big games.
But this Avs game was the mother of all schedule losses.

Minny game was an abnormality.

Its good to microdoze some adversity here now that we are comfortably in the playoffs.

Lets see how they respond against a well rested Seattle team.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I'm kind of confused. This team spends a decade in the shitter and people are surprised and bothered that there's some trepidation among the fans? They're not immune to scrutiny yet, guys.

I'm certainly no Johnny Canucker but come on...
Trepidation and scrutiny are not the same as watching the team play really well 5 on 5 and lose because of special teams or bad bounces. This was an excellent road game with a tired depleted lineup going against a bona-fide cup contender that was more rested

Big difference between looking for negatives that fit a narrative and actually watching the game.

Good job by the boys tonight! A lot players were playing "up" in rolls and showed well. Nice work Bainsy! Yah nailed it tonight! They're going to have trouble sending you down if you keep that type of play up! Makes a roster spot decision a lot easier come the off-season.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Trepidation and scrutiny are not the same as watching the team play really well 5 on 5 and lose because of special teams or bad bounces. This was an excellent road game with a tired depleted lineup going against a bona-fide cup contender that was more rested

Big difference between looking for negatives that fit a narrative and actually watching the game.

Yeah, as you said it's a night and day difference between "how" we are losing. Last year, when we lost it looked brutal. Everyone was lost, half the guys weren't trying if they didn't have the puck, it was barely a hockey team.

At least we are able to go toe-to-toe with a legitimate contender and look respectable now. Before it would have been a Chinese fire drill with a Demko skills showcase just to keep it close. So, yeah we are losing but we are "losing properly" I mean, as much you can. The Minny game will probably be living rent-free for a bit as that game was so winnable.

E: But, we are nominally 1st in the NHL. I have my concerns, they are still really similar to what they were entering the season. And I still don't think we are a "1st place team", but we're going to make the playoffs and play real home games for the first time in 9 years. Let's enjoy that.

Last edited:

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Yeah, as you said it's a night and day difference between "how" we are losing. Last year, when we lost it looked brutal. Everyone was lost, half the guys weren't trying if they didn't have the puck, it was barely a hockey team.

At least we are able to go toe-to-toe with a legitimate contender and look respectable now. Before it would have been a Chinese fire drill with a Demko skills showcase just to keep it close. So, yeah we are losing but we are "losing properly" I mean, as much you can. The Minny game will probably be living rent-free for a bit as that game was so winnable.
134% agree! Maybe even 137. Winnipeg and Colorado were fairly even winnable games. Won't surprise me at all if we lose to Seattle tbh.

It's good that the team learns what there negative tendencies are when the system isn't perfect, they are playing with unfamiliar linemates and everyone is metric-f@ck-ton tired.

Try to stay healthy and competitive and then get home for some rest and practice time.

Hear'ye!

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
134% agree! Maybe even 137. Winnipeg and Colorado were fairly even winnable games. Won't surprise me at all if we lose to Seattle tbh.

It's good that the team learns what there negative tendencies are when the system isn't perfect, they are playing with unfamiliar linemates and everyone is metric-f@ck-ton tired.

Try to stay healthy and competitive and then get home for some rest and practice time.

Hear'ye!

I think so too, we've won a lot of games lately I didn't feel we deserved to win so it's good that we know we aren't untouchable/infallible.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
First time they've faced real adversity this season.

I'm not liking how Lindholm has been a non-factor more often than not. The 4 goals are from 2 games.
This is just what Lindholm is and why I was/am so adamant about not re-signing him. If his linemates aren't carrying him and drastically driving play, he's just A Guy with some above-average finishing talent.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
But this Avs game was the mother of all schedule losses.

Minny game was an abnormality.

Its good to microdoze some adversity here now that we are comfortably in the playoffs.

Lets see how they respond against a well rested Seattle team.
Yep. This was truly a schedule loss, so it's hard to find the loss disappointing.

If anything, this was a nice response from the MIN game. They played fairly well against a top team that was rested, at home. They just found themselves on the wrong side of a tight game. Sometimes you have those stretches when the PDO gods aren't blessing you every day. At 5v5, they are pretty good. The only concern again, is fixing the PP.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This is just what Lindholm is and why I was/am so adamant about not re-signing him. If his linemates aren't carrying him and drastically driving play, he's just A Guy with some above-average finishing talent.
Also few seasons removed from coming 2nd in selke voting. Hebis great on the PK and at least good on the PP.

To me he is the opposite of 'he does nothing when not scoring.'

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
simpsons-kent-brockman.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The one common denominator in all three losses, was that the Canucks were either tied or leading entering the third period. Normally they've been 'money' in the third period of games--just look at the record.

What that's telling me is that their energy-level in the third period is dipping. But despite that, they still had far more quality scoring chances in the third period, than the Av's did--who got the winner on a lucky deflection off Ian Cole.

But as we all know, the games after the all-star break are always tougher, as you're facing desperate teams most nights. They desperately need the grit of Soucy and Joshua back in the lineup.

And I suspect Allvin isn't through adding as we come up on the TDL.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
That was a good performance overall just not the ideal outcome. More to be upset from the WPG or MIN games tbh

As much as you want to see them avenge the MIN game, playing a back to back 3 in 4 against one of the cup favorites isn't realistic.

Theyll review and make adjustments as they have all season. PP is a top priority very stale and static right now. More practice time once back home will help.

If the team can stay focused down the road here into playoffs, if they can find success in a few rounds playing a best of 7 against the Avs would be a treat. I've maintained that the Canucks with the right moves are similar to the Avs' trajectory just a few years behind

Reactions: Play

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Yeah you guys make good points. I guess at the end of the day I just hype myself up for these best on best, measuring stick matchups a lot so it's disappointing that they've come out of the last handful of them on the losing end.

Honestly this is the stretch of the season when as a fan you just want to get to the playoffs already.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
They could keep going .500 to be completely honest, once game 70 hits, that’s when they need to get hot. And I honestly think that’s what will happen more or less, the battery recharges once playoffs hit the horizon

Reactions: Jay26

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
When a team loses 3 in a row, including a horrible game in Minny you can’t just write it all off. That is a loser mentality. There were root causes. What is wrong with identifying causes?

But to many koolaid drinkers, that process is defined as “hating” in this woke world

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Do not care that we lost after a great effort on a crazy back to back.

Absolutely do care about it Peteys lack of production against playoff teams. It seems
He just shrivels in these situations and it’s concerning.

Reactions: quat and Jay26

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
When a team loses 3 in a row, including a horrible game in Minny you can’t just write it all off. That is a loser mentality. There were root causes. What is wrong with identifying causes?

But to many koolaid drinkers, that process is defined as “hating” in this woke world
What is wrong is our PP has all but disappeared. Our top 6 isnt producing at the rate at the beginning of the year. And with a couple of injuries our depth has dried up.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is wrong and what they need to do to correct it. We are first place in the league even after losing 3 in a row.

We are home almost all of march. These things will be corrected.

The sky isn't falling.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

There's nothing wrong with pointing out what has gone wrong the last few games but that's not the same thing as some overweight cheetoh eaters talking about how this is 'completely unacceptable'. Some of it comes across as so emotionally immature.

PP has been the biggest issue. Aside to to 7 goal 3rd period debacle in Minny I don't really see any cause to be overly concerned. Thought they looked good against Colorado but just lost a tough game.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Lindholm is great on the FO. Shame we lost an exponentially more dynamic player in Kuzmenko. TERRIBLE TRADE.

So talented he's been demoted to the fourth line on a sputtering Flames team already.

Lindholm: 4-2-6 in 9 games
Kuzmenko: 3-0-3 in 7 games

None of this accounts for the massive versatility Lindholm offers over Kuz. But yes. Horrible trade and all that.

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
So talented he's been demoted to the fourth line on a sputtering Flames team already.

Lindholm: 4-2-6 in 9 games
Kuzmenko: 3-0-3 in 7 games

None of this accounts for the massive versatility Lindholm offers over Kuz. But yes. Horrible trade and all that.

This was one of the weirdest takes. Some people seem to have short memories of Kuzmenko essentially being an expensive pylon this year and really not gelling with any of his linemates. Lindholm being more defensively responsible only makes that stranger.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad