Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose to the Avalanche 3-1 (Miller), Haters can go Cheer for the Oilers

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Solid effort, could have easily come away with the win if we got a bounce on a few of those scrambles/plays around the net.

Bains was involved in multiple scoring chances which was nice to see. Wish he shot on that 2-on-1 but you can imagine how a rookie may feel he needs to defer in that position. To me his skating does need work, especially his agility/turning. A few times he looked like one of those cartoons where they take a handful of steps standing in the same spot before they zoom off.

Noticed Mikheyev a few times in this game but it's hard to understand what happened to this player overall. Bains in that spot on the 3rd line over him was the right call. In somewhat related news, our 4th line has now become one of those "just don't get scored on and get off the ice ASAP" types.

I don't believe in this "hiding the #1 PP setup for the playoffs" theory that's been going around but at the same time it's hard to think of any legitimate reason why they keep doing things that aren't working. Again, as many of us have mentioned, why is Miller not QBing the PP on top of the left circle?

Nothing to show for it but I thought Pettersson had some good moments. Not dominant but not discouraging, either.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
here is some more ai generated photos to make you feel better

Attachments

• Gemini_Generated_Image (6).jpg
    Gemini_Generated_Image (6).jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Gemini_Generated_Image (7).jpg
    Gemini_Generated_Image (7).jpg
    460 KB · Views: 1

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Anybody with coaching or playing experience know if holding off your best power play set up til play-offs is a thing? I have to think if the Canucks are fighting for a play-off spot and not comfortably 1st in the division, that our power play tries something different, like 5 games ago. It's the only thing that explains why they roll out the same look power play despite going 1 for 24.
I think that's copium. A good PK reads the formation of the PP and forces them into certain plays, even if they don't have to do much - in this game, the Avs just took away the passing lanes and were fine with our PP taking shots from the outside, because as it turns out we couldn't generate strong threats from one-timers or the point.

So it's up to the PP to be dynamic and change up to try to get the penalty killers off their positions. It doesn't matter if they have a bunch of secret strats they have practiced because how you run a PP is dependent in part on what the PK is giving you. You aren't going to be able to use different setups unless the guys actually learn how to read the PK then change on the spot. They need to be moving their feet and switching positions, and you just aren't going to be good at that until you try it in actual games.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Evenly played game and Canucks, given their horrendous schedule, came up with a good effort. Team is getting hurt by continued fall off in the special teams. Neither PP or the PK was effective. PP did create chances but has to find ways of moving the puck cross ice rather than just around the triangle at the top. Demko was only thing holding team the PK together. Special teams are often the difference and the Canucks have to find ways of getting these teams back to the level of earlier in the season.

Good

Miller - looked a little like MacKinnon at times, Tired in the late going, but he was the only thing holding one whole line together.

Demko - had to make numerous Grade A saves (especially on the PK) Number of botched defenisve plays have increased over the last while and Demko has had to have his fingers in the dyke.

Hoglander - far and away are best player in getting to the net.

Mikheyev - one of his better games. Skating appears to be improved and he was much more in the play. Thought he was the best player on his line. Be excellent if he could start finding a way to score.

Poor

Aman - can't provide any offense (Bains probably provided more in this game than Aman has for months) and lost his man on the first goal. Looking more and more done as an NHL player. Hopefully team can configure a way of getting Suter back to the 4th line.

Boeser - started the game with some jump but that was over by midway through the first. Off puck movement was very poor. I spent years begging the team to dump Virtanen while he still had value and I am saying the same thing about Boeser. It's just not there for this player. Can't imagine this player wading through a tough playoff series and having anything in the tank after a couple of games. HIs skating is so labored that he has to put out more than others to say anywhere near the play.

Suter - in over his head as a top 6 player. Had some good set ups but could do nothing with them. Usually you get what you pay for and, in this case, you expecting more bang for the buck than this player can contribute.

Lindholm - got nothing done in this game. You wonder if him and Pettersson are a fit.

Others

Garland - I think you could say he carried the team for awhile but since Joshua went down he's faded. Like others he needs some down time.

Hughes - increasing trouble in his end. Guy brings tremendous heart but probably being asked to do too much physical work in his end. Him and Hronek had the tough match up with the Mackinnon line and it seems lately other coaches are trying to match up their top lines against Hughes, particularly in offensive situations. Unlike earlier in the year spending a lot more time in his own end.

Bains - showed enough to get more time. One thing I feared is skating wouldn't be good enough to play well enough in transition but that didn't seem a major problem. Does need to be better defensively in his end but did show the kind of offensive board work and down low passing that has made him dangerous in Abby. Also I liked the way he played with his head up. He certainly is a work in progress but I think you can have a little more hope for him after this game.

One thing I did note after watching Bains in Abbotsford and in this game tonight is the difference between NHL and AHL in terms of speed. Not only in terms of skating but thinking, moving the puck and alertness. Points out the huge step you are taking in moving from one level to another.

It's good thing this team has a cushion but obviously they need to snap this losing streak. Febraury can not end too soon.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Agreed with all of this.

Colorado on a B2B is the toughest road game on the NHL and we were really solid tonight.

Bad PP continues to be an issue and they managed to scrape a flukey long-range deflection to win.

The chicken littles here are an embarrassment. How do these people function in ordinary life?

I get the impression that certain posters view Canucks success through the lens of denying or providing ammunition in trash talking exchanges with certain fanbase. "Competitive, encouraging game in tough circumstances," or "trending well in the right direction," is not a sexy outcome that silences the haters, in fact it gives the haters ammo so it's the worst possible outcome they can imagine.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
No, we don't suck. Obviously. But tack on another big game against one of the best teams in the NHL that they lose. Not encouraging.

Not making any judgements on this team because I believe in them 100% in the long run. They've arrived for sure. Just judging these results in the key games.

Reactions: quat

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Evenly played game and Canucks, given their horrendous schedule, came up with a good effort. Team is getting hurt by continued fall off in the special teams. Neither PP or the PK was effective. PP did create chances but has to find ways of moving the puck cross ice rather than just around the triangle at the top. Demko was only thing holding team the PK together. Special teams are often the difference and the Canucks have to find ways of getting these teams back to the level of earlier in the season.

Good

Miller - looked a little like MacKinnon at times, Tired in the late going, but he was the only thing holding one whole line together.

Demko - had to make numerous Grade A saves (especially on the PK) Number of botched defenisve plays have increased over the last while and Demko has had to have his fingers in the dyke.

Hoglander - far and away are best player in getting to the net.

Mikheyev - one of his better games. Skating appears to be improved and he was much more in the play. Thought he was the best player on his line. Be excellent if he could start finding a way to score.

Poor

Aman - can't provide any offense (Bains probably provided more in this game than Aman has for months) and lost his man on the first goal. Looking more and more done as an NHL player. Hopefully team can configure a way of getting Suter back to the 4th line.

Boeser - started the game with some jump but that was over by midway through the first. Off puck movement was very poor. I spent years begging the team to dump Virtanen while he still had value and I am saying the same thing about Boeser. It's just not there for this player. Can't imagine this player wading through a tough playoff series and having anything in the tank after a couple of games. HIs skating is so labored that he has to put out more than others to say anywhere near the play.

Suter - in over his head as a top 6 player. Had some good set ups but could do nothing with them. Usually you get what you pay for and, in this case, you expecting more bang for the buck than this player can contribute.

Lindholm - got nothing done in this game. You wonder if him and Pettersson are a fit.

Others

Garland - I think you could say he carried the team for awhile but since Joshua went down he's faded. Like others he needs some down time.

Hughes - increasing trouble in his end. Guy brings tremendous heart but probably being asked to do too much physical work in his end. Him and Hronek had the tough match up with the Mackinnon line and it seems lately other coaches are trying to match up their top lines against Hughes, particularly in offensive situations. Unlike earlier in the year spending a lot more time in his own end.

Bains - showed enough to get more time. One thing I feared is skating wouldn't be good enough to play well enough in transition but that didn't seem a major problem. Does need to be better defensively in his end but did show the kind of offensive board work and down low passing that has made him dangerous in Abby. Also I liked the way he played with his head up. He certainly is a work in progress but I think you can have a little more hope for him after this game.

One thing I did note after watching Bains in Abbotsford and in this game tonight is the difference between NHL and AHL in terms of speed. Not only in terms of skating but thinking, moving the puck and alertness. Points out the huge step you are taking in moving from one level to another.

It's good thing this team has a cushion but obviously they need to snap this losing streak. Febraury can not end too soon.
Good writeup. Agreed about Aman/Suter.

That was one of our major strengths through first half, having Bluegar/Suter as our 3/4C and we've really lost that sneaky scoring depth with Suter in the top 6. I don't think it's any surprise that Lafferty and DiGuiseppe have struggled to generate anything with Aman at C.

If Bains can stick on that 3rd line, having Joshua step into the top 6 might provide the jam that it's missing.

Best option is to add another winger at the deadline though.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I'm kind of confused. This team spends a decade in the shitter and people are surprised and bothered that there's some trepidation among the fans? They're not immune to scrutiny yet, guys.

I'm certainly no Johnny Canucker but come on...

Reactions: quat

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
No, we don't suck. Obviously. But tack on another big game against one of the best teams in the NHL that they lose. Not encouraging.
A 3-in-4 B2B in the altitude of Denver is objectively a worse possible time to bring out the measuring stick.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'm kind of confused. This team spends a decade in the shitter and people are surprised and bothered that there's some trepidation among the fans? They're not immune to scrutiny yet, guys.

I'm certainly no Johnny Canucker but come on...
Reactive people who needlessly panic all the time and can't see the bigger picture are always annoying, the regardless of circumstances.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Thank F for people like you man

Moms bday tonight so we watched but wasnt online till the end when she went home. The crap i read is quite frankly disgusting in the GDT.

People get frustrated but THIS TEAM OWES YOU NOTHING!!
Fully agreed until that last bit.

This team LITERALLY owes the fans everything they got.

I’m about at the point of just stopping posting in the GDTs because of the way that two awful posters are turning them into a sewer in every game. All it’s doing is making me annoyed.
My ignore list has grown massive lately.

Wonder if I see the said posts anymore.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
A 3-in-4 B2B in the altitude of Denver is objectively a worse possible time to bring out the measuring stick.
I know. That's what I said I'm not making rash judgements but it's still disappointing. They need to win some of these big games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad