Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hanafin was about to be a UFA and he signed several weeks after the trade. PLD clearly wanted out of The Peg. What makes you think Marner wants out?

Just cause some agent has said it has worked that way with other players doesn't mean shit to Marner. He could easily say Ill to to 1 or 2 teams and good luck making a fair deal now.

worst of all. He could be so pissed that he completely refuses a deal and walks next summer and The Leafs get nothing.

At this point the leafs would welcome picks and cap space I think.

I also think Marner would welcome a change of scenery. He’s getting killed out here lol

Also we dealt with this situation before with Kessel. Kessel had a full NMC and only would accept a trade to Pittsburgh, we found a way to ship him out

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Because that’s exactly what’s happened to other players. IE Hanifin and Pierre Luc Dubois.

The leafs will work with the agent to broker a deal. I forget which episode but on agent provocateur Allan Walsh describes a few of these situation where the agent actually brokers a deal for the GM. Essentially team ask the agent to speak to the GM’s player with NMC is willing to go to. Agent helps to broker the trade along with the extension.
Hanifin literally wasn't a sign and trade and PLD was an RFA.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins would be great for Marner - he would thrive here. Think Rick Middleton

Play it out Mitch

Marner - Zacha- Pastrnak

Get the Duck Boats ready

Bruins picked up Columbus train wreck Andrew Peeke and he looks like a polished 10 year vet

Bruins can save Marnahhhh

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The move IMO isn’t to trade Marner. The players the Leafs need aren’t available next season and they have to line themselves up for when Tavares’ cap space comes off the books.

The smarter move is to leverage Marner’s poor performance into a great contract and re-sign him. When he’s on pace for a killer year, trade him. Exactly what they should have done with Nylander earlier in his previous contract. Gotta stop handing out these NMC’s like candy.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Jarry + Graves for Mitch.

Pens need to make the POS and he would be sick next to Sid.

The Pens were the team I first thought of. I was thinking Graves and Rackell or Reilly Smith plus a pick or something but Jarry would make so much sense.

Marner will go elsewhere and have a 1000pt+ career but the Leafs need to change.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
The move IMO isn’t to trade Marner. The players the Leafs need aren’t available next season and they have to line themselves up for when Tavares’ cap space comes off the books.

The smarter move is to leverage Marner’s poor performance into a great contract and re-sign him. When he’s on pace for a killer year, trade him. Exactly what they should have done with Nylander earlier in his previous contract. Gotta stop handing out these NMC’s like candy.

Why would Marner take a good deal when he can just walk and someone will pay him $12m in free agency. Not trading him before his NMC kicked in looked a bad idea then, and even worse now.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Bruins would be great for Marner - he would thrive here. Think Rick Middleton

Play it out Mitch

Marner - Zacha- Pastrnak

Get the Duck Boats ready

Bruins picked up Columbus train wreck Andrew Peeke and he looks like a polished 10 year vet

Bruins can save Marnahhhh

For him to waive, it would have to be an appealing destination like Boston, NY, Miami, LA, or Chicago. Pittsburgh might be a viable option due to Dubas and playing with Sid.

The return is also an interesting item of discussion. Leafs fans wanting a big haul might be underestimating the value of the freed up cap space. A team like Chicago could take him at full salary and might like the idea of putting him on Bedard’s wing. Since they’re still kind of rebuilding however, the willingness to part with a treasure trove of picks/prospects might be a steep ask.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So he wasn't traded with an extension in place, cool

False, there were some reports the extension was done with trade. However was not sent to league for a couple of weeks because of optics because he signed for way less than what he was asking for in Calgary. More of a PR thing than not having a deal done

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Scratch the Blues off the list. Don’t need a soft winger and need to allocate resources towards defense.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Why would Marner take a good deal when he can just walk and someone will pay him $12m in free agency. Not trading him before his NMC kicked in looked a bad idea then, and even worse now.

Haha I love the image of what you’re responding to.

Leafs: “haha, we have outsmarted you! Due to poor playoff performance you will now command less money, and that fits perfectly into our timeline!”
Marner: *walks out door and immediately accepts a literal boat full of cash from Utah*

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
False, there were some reports the extension was done with trade. However was not sent to league for a couple of weeks because of optics because he signed for way less than what he was asking for in Calgary. More of a PR thing than not having a deal done
At this point you are simply making things up. Calgary tried to trade him with an extension. It didn't work out, because rentals are very rarely traded with extensions.

Vegas then, once they owned hanifins right's, negotiated their own contract to keep their rental.

If you wanted a real example of one of the very rare times a player is traded with an extension in place, that would be Hampus Lindholm, who's contract went through the next day (it can't be a sign and trade with retention because that means they would retain on the extension too)

Reactions: Guttersniped

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The Pens were the team I first thought of. I was thinking Graves and Rackell or Reilly Smith plus a pick or something but Jarry would make so much sense.

Marner will go elsewhere and have a 1000pt+ career but the Leafs need to change.
That offer is garbage

Your not getting an expiring Marner without a 1st + Pettersson at minimum

As bad as he has been in the playoffs this year hes the pens best or second best player

if he comes with an extensio

Yager + 1st +

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
is Marner that bad? I admit to only watching about a period and a half of that series.

But yet all the prognosticators have him on Team Canada for the Bettman Cup.

Which is it? He’s a bum or a keeper?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad