Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose to the Avalanche 3-1 (Miller), Haters can go Cheer for the Oilers

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It was a good effort. Almost comical how they couldn't get one past Gorgiev in the 3rd.

The PP needs to get straightened out asap. It's been the difference on this little skid.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Almost a 'guaranteed loss night', but at least the Canucks didn't go down without a fight. They were actually the better team five-on-five, but their PP is just killing them.

In the third period they controlled play in the O-zone for their entire two-minute PP, but really didn't generate a single scoring chance. At some point the PP is on the coaching staff. Trotting the same guys out there time after time, is the definition of insanity.

Easily one of the toughest games of the season for the Hughes-Hronek pairing.....and they weren't much better in Minny. Might be time to break them up.

Thought Bains was effective in this first game, particularly on the wall. If Blueger didn't have hands of stone, Bains would have probably earned his first couple of NHL points. As it was, he generated more offense in his limited minutes that somebody like Di Giuseppe has come up with all season long. Why he hasn't been up before it a mystery only the Canucks brain-trust can explain.

First three game, regulation losing streak of the season. And in a way it's good. If Allvin is taking notes, he'll be active at the TDL. This team isn't finished product just yet.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Supplementary scoring certainly a lot more limited without Joshua. Third line doesn't have that pop. Seemed like for a while they were always the line that would get one when you needed it.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Another game with 0 points for petey against a top team

Very concerning heading into the playoffs

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Meh.

We lost 3 in a row but these weren’t “Ok, I’m worried about the team” type losses.
That's a good way of putting it.

Before the road trip, I predicted they would lose these games, but they haven't really wilted after all this hockey, like I thought they would. I mean every team has tough stretched where they've played bad, but the Canucks have kept that to minimum, hence they are best in league.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Seattle will be our 8th game in 13 nights

I know and thats why I am worried this could go on for awhile as we pile up losses. Nobody has pointed out how rough the schedule is more then me. I even posted seattle is off since monday and were playing them while they are more rested at home. We are leading the league in games played and we keep playing more rested teams yet.

Reactions: Peen

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
We've played great 5 on 5, I'm really happy with their effort and their fight, bodes well for the playoffs.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Lack of discipline, lack of composure, no shows from several key players and horrible special teams is not a concern?

Concerns? Yep. Panic? Nope.

Like I mentioned before, compare against the 7 years of excrement these losses are barely more painful than a flu shot.

Adversity is opportunity to improve, regular season is where we iron out all the flaws the best we can.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, and funny enough we actually CAN afford to focus on the grand scheme of things haha.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
PP1 needs a reform
Rick needs to stop running PP1
Even though I’m not a fan of doing it normally, I’d split up the units temporarily just to give them a kick in the ass.

Split Hughes/Hronek
EP/Miller
Lindholm/Boeser

3 on each unit and fill in the blanks with Bains, Garland, Hoglander, Suter maybe

Reactions: David71

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
My one complaint is them refusing to move Boeser off the half wall after going 1 for like 24. Canucks Powerplay was clicking going into the break, and it's understandable to move Sutter off the first unit for the better player, but to change the whole set up and continue to force it is just mind-numbing

Reactions: CanuckCity and MS

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Thought they played a good game overall.

The Hoglander whiff and Hronek play both on empty nets, could have made the difference. Powerplay is obviously struggling but hopefully the nice stretches of home games in March can help right it.

Dislike the 4th line of Aman, PDG, and Mik. Just zero coming out of that group for a while now.

Thought Bains showed well in limited ice time. A couple setups and good looks. Can definitely see the offensive instincts but looked a bit green in his end. Definitely intrigued to see him get a few games and see if he can build on it. Would be great to send one of Aman/PDG to the box.

Hopefully a better result in Seattle.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It's strange, the coaching staff talked a ton early in the year about having a dynamic PP, where the players were trusted to move around a lot and force the D to switch coverages.

They still move, but it's single swaps, only to go stand in the same spot as the previous guy did. No lanes opening up, easy switches for the D, and all in slow motion.

It's like a couple SHGs completely killed their entire theory. Gotta have some conviction boys.

i was watching that late colorado PP and i was like, shit i totally forgot a PP could tighten the box on the PKers and open up more dangerous shots. like i literally forgot this was a thing.

i only started watching midway through the third but from what i saw, the top two lines both looked really good. miller was beasting and the swede line was consistently dangerous. like i have no idea what petey did or didn’t do the rest of the game but he was aggressive, taking the puck to the net, and generally doing star petey things in the part of the game i saw. but then i come to the PGT and people are riding him.

and man hronek, i thought it was hilarious that he was like, i’m just going to fire this as hard as i can, no way someone is going to try to block it. and then the avs dman took it right in the nuts and then collapsed like he’d just died. but props to that guy.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I’m about at the point of just stopping posting in the GDTs because of the way that two awful posters are turning them into a sewer in every game. All it’s doing is making me annoyed.
yes it's crazy that some people have continued to be so ridiculously negative and disrespectful of the players and other posters while we should be enjoying one of the best Canuck teams in history.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Anybody with coaching or playing experience know if holding off your best power play set up til play-offs is a thing? I have to think if the Canucks are fighting for a play-off spot and not comfortably 1st in the division, that our power play tries something different, like 5 games ago. It's the only thing that explains why they roll out the same look power play despite going 1 for 24.

Reactions: Nopefully

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad