Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose to the Avalanche 3-1 (Miller), Haters can go Cheer for the Oilers

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Also few seasons removed from coming 2nd in selke voting. Hebis great on the PK and at least good on the PP.

To me he is the opposite of 'he does nothing when not scoring.'
He's good defensively, but he's not a Selke-level player anymore.

He's a play connector. He's usually in the right spots to present as an outlet for his teammates, but isn't driving the play into the offensive end and creating chances. He's a chance-taker, not a chance-maker. Which is fine, that is not really a slight on him. It's just what he is.

I also agree he's good on the PK. But that hasn't exactly born itself out in Vancouver yet.

Being Just A Guy doesn't mean he doesn't do anything. I didn't say that. JAGs can do things for your team. But JAGs are ultimately replaceable and should not be considered a core piece.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He's good defensively, but he's not a Selke-level player anymore.

He's a play connector. He's usually in the right spots to present as an outlet for his teammates, but isn't driving the play into the offensive end and creating chances. He's a chance-taker, not a chance-maker. Which is fine, that is not really a slight on him. It's just what he is.

I also agree he's good on the PK. But that hasn't exactly born itself out in Vancouver yet.

Being Just A Guy doesn't mean he doesn't do anything. I didn't say that. JAGs can do things for your team. But JAGs are ultimately replaceable and should not be considered a core piece.
I don't think he's much of an upgrade on Blueger, who we should be able to re-sign for less than half the AAV and term. Blueger for $3MMx3 is a way better deal than Lindholm at $7MMx6 (which some GM is probably dumb enough to pay). starting to think that trade was as much to do about next year as it was to help out this year.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Anybody with coaching or playing experience know if holding off your best power play set up til play-offs is a thing? I have to think if the Canucks are fighting for a play-off spot and not comfortably 1st in the division, that our power play tries something different, like 5 games ago. It's the only thing that explains why they roll out the same look power play despite going 1 for 24.
I'm not sure about the Power Play but the Chris Kontos LA Gretzky Kings comes to mind: 9g and lead the playoffs that year as Shorty reminded us (and forgetting that he had 0 assists).

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Can’t complain about the reffing this game ..We had 3 PP’s ,Av’s had 2.

In the grand scheme,the refs just let them play.
You forget about the phantom call?
I kept waiting for someone to come to their senses and realize Miller pushed him off with his hand and his head snapped back. If anything it was unsportsmanlike for the Avs.

Looks like I picked a hell of a few games to be busy and mostly away from the internet. I’ll take blame for these games. My bad.
You need to get off the half wall and crash the net more.

Reactions: Lindgren

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
My ignore list has grown massive lately.
Mine too. I'm here for the objective analysis, the chicken little stuff is annoying. Yes, fine to discuss areas for improvement, how much we miss certain injured players or would like certain players to be better, but we are literally 1st overall in the league, I'm not sure what the expectation is, 82-0? Every team loses games sometimes.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You forget about the phantom call?
I kept waiting for someone to come to their senses and realize Miller pushed him off with his hand and his head snapped back. If anything it was unsportsmanlike for the Avs.
Sure, you can question one of the calls, but at the end of the day, they had 3 minor penalties, we had 2...The refs were not really a factor in the outcome..Also, our PP was terrible..

Last nights game did not have the odour of referees attempting to 'game manage' the results (get the other team back in it)...or doubling down on missed calls, and giving out 'make up ' calls (but the damage is already done)...Too often, in the last few weeks, the refs have inserted themselves as deciding factors in the game results, moreso than the teams themselves.

Reactions: 604 and LuckyDay

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The one common denominator in all three losses, was that the Canucks were either tied or leading entering the third period. Normally they've been 'money' in the third period of games--just look at the record.

What that's telling me is that their energy-level in the third period is dipping. But despite that, they still had far more quality scoring chances in the third period, than the Av's did--who got the winner on a lucky deflection off Ian Cole.

But as we all know, the games after the all-star break are always tougher, as you're facing desperate teams most nights. They desperately need the grit of Soucy and Joshua back in the lineup.

And I suspect Allvin isn't through adding as we come up on the TDL.

This team looks very unfocused at the end and again at the start of periods. Bit us big in both the last two games. That's one of the staples RT is talking about and has to do with focus, closing out teams, and attention to details. Each of the least games I was imploring them to bear down and not get hemmed in our end during these periods but they didn't and then give up goals. The chance deflection off of Cole last night is just an example and it lost us the game.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Sure, you can question one of the calls, but at the end of the day, they had 3 minor penalties, we had 2...The refs were not really a factor in the outcome..Also, our PP was terrible..

Last nights game did not have the odour of referees attempting to 'game manage' the results (get the other team back in it)...or doubling down on missed calls, and giving out 'make up ' calls (but the damage is already done)...Too often, in the last few weeks, the refs have inserted themselves as deciding factors in the game results, moreso than the teams themselves.
Good point, but calling the penalty with 3 minutes to go is getting involved whether it's legit or not. Unwritten game management rules, especially after the ASB and before and in the playoffs ,say to let those go and only the most egregious should be called. Whether they should or not is an old debate but we've seen the outcome of the "call everything" era. The game was over at that point with little time or energy to press when the PK is over.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Other than JT, our most expensive and core players are Charmin soft. Not built for any time of playoff success. CONCERNING.

Our PP is pathetic. Hughes spinning around like a mook just to throw a 40 MPH wrist shot in to a crowd or play hot potato w EP40 while the latter remains stationary. PATHETIC

Lindholm is great on the FO. Shame we lost an exponentially more dynamic player in Kuzmenko. TERRIBLE TRADE.

Built a really fancy team on paper that will and is gonna get absolutely wrecked in the playoffs.

Watching your team lose in the playoffs is bad. Watching your team get slapped around the ice and be unable to make the other team pay via the PP is a different type of pathetic we are about to witness. INCOMING EMBARRASSMENT

Well that was a fantastic pout. A+

Kuzmenko sucks ... what planet are you living on? This guy's already losing favor in Calgary. He got the usual goal scoring trade bump but has also given away highlight reel breakaways to the other team with his complete disregard for responsible hockey.

Lindholm will improve as he gets more comfortable and carves out a role with the team as well. Cost us a bit but I'd take Lindholm 9 times out of 10 over Kuzlazy.

Reactions: quat

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I thought it was a good game, and it helped me get over the one in Mini.

Lots of positives and you know a few of the higher paid player can do better. I liked early Boeser but then he faded. Hughes struggled a bit, but is still such an amazing player compared with others.

A bit surprised some are offended by a few people sharing negative opinions. I find they help keep my own thoughts in perspective. It's also odd witnessing someone being called out for an attitude of "the sky is falling", when they've posted the very same comments as that poster.

Everyone agrees the power play is struggling, but somehow only some people are allowed to post it.

I guess these boards are a microcosm of the online world at large. I sure appreciate the variety of opinions even if they differ from my own. After all, everyone here is a moran.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought it was a good game, and it helped me get over the one in Mini.

Lots of positives and you know a few of the higher paid player can do better. I liked early Boeser but then he faded. Hughes struggled a bit, but is still such an amazing player compared with others.

A bit surprised some are offended by a few people sharing negative opinions. I find they help keep my own thoughts in perspective. It's also odd witnessing someone being called out for an attitude of "the sky is falling", when they've posted the very same comments as that poster.

Everyone agrees the power play is struggling, but somehow only some people are allowed to post it.

I guess these boards are a microcosm of the online world at large. I sure appreciate the variety of opinions even if they differ from my own. After all, everyone here is a moran.
Have to agree with most of this.....a morning disaster in MInny, plus a flight to Denver that probably took half the night. I'd wager the Canucks didn't get to their hotels until 3 or 4 in the morning.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that they played with as much energy as they did.....and they definitely out-chanced and most outplayed the Av's in the third period, when you'd expect them to be the most tired.

Av' had won 12 of 13 games on home ice, so they're a tough out at home. But the reality is with the top teams in the league, there's a very fine line between winning and losing on most nights. It often comes down goaltending and a bit of puck luck--which the Canucks just didn't get around the net.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Last night's game was a big relief for me. Despite the struggles on the PP, I thought we played a much better disciplined game compared to Monday in Minny. We're still pretty damn good 5 on 5.

There was also relief in that we knew at some point the team was going to experience an inevitable down point in the season, like all the other good teams have done. And it's happening due to understandable circumstances - they've played the most games in the league, and the tough schedule. I'm glad it's happening now, and there's 8 weeks remaining before playoffs to do some work.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
1708556102284.gif

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
When a team loses 3 in a row, including a horrible game in Minny you can’t just write it all off. That is a loser mentality. There were root causes. What is wrong with identifying causes?

But to many koolaid drinkers, that process is defined as “hating” in this woke world
speaking of loser mentality, woof.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Other than JT, our most expensive and core players are Charmin soft. Not built for any time of playoff success. CONCERNING.

Our PP is pathetic. Hughes spinning around like a mook just to throw a 40 MPH wrist shot in to a crowd or play hot potato w EP40 while the latter remains stationary. PATHETIC

Lindholm is great on the FO. Shame we lost an exponentially more dynamic player in Kuzmenko. TERRIBLE TRADE.

Built a really fancy team on paper that will and is gonna get absolutely wrecked in the playoffs.

Watching your team lose in the playoffs is bad. Watching your team get slapped around the ice and be unable to make the other team pay via the PP is a different type of pathetic we are about to witness. INCOMING EMBARRASSMENT
Then why not just save yourself (and the rest of us) the grief and stop watching?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
When a team loses 3 in a row, including a horrible game in Minny you can’t just write it all off. That is a loser mentality. There were root causes. What is wrong with identifying causes?

But to many koolaid drinkers, that process is defined as “hating” in this woke world

Lmao

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Have to agree with most of this.....a morning disaster in MInny, plus a flight to Denver that probably took half the night. I'd wager the Canucks didn't get to their hotels until 3 or 4 in the morning.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that they played with as much energy as they did.....and they definitely out-chanced and most outplayed the Av's in the third period, when you'd expect them to be the most tired.

Av' had won 12 of 13 games on home ice, so they're a tough out at home. But the reality is with the top teams in the league, there's a very fine line between winning and losing on most nights. It often comes down goaltending and a bit of puck luck--which the Canucks just didn't get around the net.
Afternoon game, why did they get in late?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Last night's game was a big relief for me. Despite the struggles on the PP, I thought we played a much better disciplined game compared to Monday in Minny. We're still pretty damn good 5 on 5.

There was also relief in that we knew at some point the team was going to experience an inevitable down point in the season, like all the other good teams have done. And it's happening due to understandable circumstances - they've played the most games in the league, and the tough schedule. I'm glad it's happening now, and there's 8 weeks remaining before playoffs to do some work.
If you play a pretty solid game and lose because of some missed chances and some fluky goals against, that's got to be looked at pretty favorably.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad