Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 10-7 (Miller x3, Pettersson, Boeser, Zadorov, Cole)

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I missed this game… Awkward time…

Can someone give me a quick run down? I saw a bit on my phone without the sound on and it felt like we were defending 5 on 3 penalties all game.

How did we do? Did refs screw us? Did we screw outselves?

We started off slow after getting called for the first of what would be three phantom 5 on 3s. That we killed off and more or less controlled the game from then on. So I'd say a solid 30-35 minutes of us blowing Minny away.

Then came the cavalcade of idiotic calls, capped off by them calling a hooking on Pettersson, then a hold, then it was a goal, then back to a hold. After three 5 on 3s all in a row, we collapsed and Minny came back. Even then we held on but yeah... hard to get back into a rhythm.

Garland also went down and missed every single PK shift but did return late in the third.

I'd say it was mostly horrendous reffing, some bad play on our part, terrible goaltending and a rare poor coaching by Tocchet not to call a timeout when things were getting out of hand.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Since the break, the Bruins game, the OT loss to the Wings, the Jets game, and now this game have not been particularly reassuring. They have Colorado, Boston again, Penguins and LA coming up. We'll see how it goes.

The blueprint is out on how to beat us.
There is no blueprint. Canucks have been the better team at even strength the majority of these games. I think over the past month the Canucks have been playing some of their best hockey at even strength but unfortunately special teams have killed them. Most of the issues are definitely fixable.

I expect the pp to sort itself out given all the talent and I expect Soucy to solidify the pk.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
can’t be too mad about anything in our power today, other than them coming out flat two straight third periods (after recently correcting their bad second period problem)

desmith, wasn’t sharp but i can’t blame him for all those goals at the end of the second and beginning of the third. any goalie would be dead tired going post to post on back to back to back 5 on 3s.

i also can’t blame tocchet for keeping him in. that’s his job as a backup to grin and bear it in games where he’s getting ventilated. it’s a morning game vancouver time, and you can’t put demko in there cold and risk him getting injured, especially with a game the next night in colorado.

also in desmith’s defence, two (three?) of those goals were off people’s feet and any goalie would lose it after the goal where the refs obviously lost sight of the puck for ten steamboats and still let the play go on, during a sequence of four straight penalties against us. i don’t even consider the 7-5 and 8-5 goals as counting against him.

as i said in the GDT this is where we see whether it’s worth a damn having a rutherford and a tocchet, or if it’s the same as it ever was. if i was JR i have already called bettman, dailey, DOPS, the BOG, and the PA. no one should take this to the press and everyone’s comment should be no comment but behind the scenes i am getting guys fired rn if i am JR.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
@Vector

We played a half decent game. Refs decided they wanted the Wild to win. DeSmith forgot what team he was playing for.

Garland suffered what looked like a horrible injury with a puck to the knee. Returned in the 3rd to keep the bench warm.

Colorado is in trouble tomorrow.

Reactions: Indiana and Play

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hey there, Vector here reporting in from the bowels of the Abbotsford Center.

What the hell happened?

1) We went up 1-0 on a goal where there was a Tyler Myers pick that maybe could have been called.

2) Refs immediately give Minnesota the softest 5-on-3 ever to make up for it and they don't score.

3) Game proceeds pretty normally and we're outplaying them and up 5-2.

4) However, along the way they DID (inexplicably) call a pick play on Minnesota after letting the earlier one go and we scored on the PP.

5) Now the refs are looking to settle things up (again) and give Minnesota an absolutely unbelievable string of 5-on-3 PPs, mostly on BS calls. They score 5 PP goals in less than 5 minutes. A couple calls were legit but were also because we were stuck in our zone endlessly because of the BS penalties they'd already called.

6) We pushed back reasonably well to get it back to 8-7 but then they added two EN goals.

Most infuriating referee performance since the 2013 SJ series.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Hey there, Vector here reporting in from the bowels of the Abbotsford Center.

What the hell happened?
The ghost of Stephane Auger's career decided to possess Pierre Lambert for a revenge tour. That's about the only way I can describe it. We were not allowed to play the hockey game

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Team came completely off the rails against the Jets and lost the game due to being undisciplined. Any time a team starts playing the Canucks physically they run into problems.

I think it was more of a composure issue. They probably needed 1 kill on the string of 5 on 3 and this could have been a win. A stop, a block, a timeout...something from someone to stem the tide.

Same thing with the Jets game. The team got carried away with trying to be too physical.

Hopefully a learning experience. Better now than in the playoffs

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just to add on the refereeing :

A lot of what we're seeing is because they're fast-tracking new referees into the NHL with incredibly limited experience.

Like, you'd expect to see guys breaking into the NHL in their 30s after doing 10+ years working their way up through the CHL/NCAA through the AHL and hit the NHL with tons of experience and have seen everything and know how to control games when they need controlling and stay the f*** out of things when the game is going well and don't immediately turn the game to shit if they make a mistake.

But instead you have these guys who are hitting the NHL when they're like 26 years old and they don't have a f***ing clue what they're doing. Make a mistake early in the game and then it turns into a Ref Show where they're going back and forth with make-up calls all night. No consistency in what they're calling. No feel for the game.

A guy like Carter Sandlak retired as a player in 2018 and was reffing in the NHL in 21-22, 3 years after picking up a whistle for the very first time. Cory Syvret retired as a player in 2017 and refereed in the NHL before the 17-18 season was even over! There's no way guys like this have the experience required to keep a lid on things in a heated game at the highest level.

And, like, in the Abbotsford game on Saturday there was a referee who retired in 2022 who literally started reffing a year ago. How in the actual f*** does that happen? And that guy will probably be screwing things up in the NHL in another year or two. 0

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
NHL.com is advertising a Wild win as front page news, #1 story! You'd think they'd want to hide that abortion under the rug but nope

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Just to add on the refereeing :

A lot of what we're seeing is because they're fast-tracking new referees into the NHL with incredibly limited experience.

Like, you'd expect to see guys breaking into the NHL in their 30s after doing 10+ years working their way up through the CHL/NCAA through the AHL and hit the NHL with tons of experience and have seen everything and know how to control games when they need controlling and stay the f*** out of things when the game is going well and don't immediately turn the game to shit if they make a mistake.

But instead you have these guys who are hitting the NHL when they're like 26 years old and they don't have a f***ing clue what they're doing. Make a mistake early in the game and then it turns into a Ref Show where they're going back and forth with make-up calls all night. No consistency in what they're calling. No feel for the game.

A guy like Carter Sandlak retired as a player in 2018 and was reffing in the NHL in 21-22, 3 years after picking up a whistle for the very first time. Cory Syvret retired as a player in 2017 and refereed in the NHL before the 17-18 season was even over! There's no way guys like this have the experience required to keep a lid on things in a heated game at the highest level.

And, like, in the Abbotsford game on Saturday there was a referee who retired in 2022 who literally started reffing a year ago. How in the actual f*** does that happen? And that guy will probably be screwing things up in the NHL in another year or two. 0

That's crazy, had no idea that the min requirements were so low.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Vegas will win today, and will be 10 points behind us in the Pacific. That's a nice cushion the team built up to weather the rough times we're in now. We're usually out of it by mid-November.

The "game" today was a shit show. Flush it down the drain. Get to March, and we'll have Soucy and Joshua back, and plenty of home cookin for the special teams.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A lot of the goals against we’re uncharacteristic plays by good players ( the goal by Boldy behind QH and and Phil comes to mind)

It’s not one or two players.

We’re starting to see some of the team’s overall discipline unravel a bit.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Honestly this is one of the few times a back to back may be beneficial. Boys will be hungry tomorrow.

Colorado is so ****ed.
Is this a parody account?

Colorado isn’t scared of ANYONE. Especially not a team coming off a back to back that let in nearly a dozen against a shitty wild team.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Vegas will win today, and will be 10 points behind us in the Pacific. That's a nice cushion the team built up to weather the rough times we're in now. We're usually out of it by mid-November.

The "game" today was a shit show. Flush it down the drain. Get to March, and we'll have Soucy and Joshua back, and plenty of home cookin for the special teams.
Edmonton Will pass us soon. I think they can be 3 back if they win their games in hand and they don’t lose many these days.

Also f*** them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad