Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 10-7 (Miller x3, Pettersson, Boeser, Zadorov, Cole)

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Nah. Tocchet needs to start his post game with a stop watch and make a scene over how long the puck was frozen without the refs blowing the play dead. Add in the missed puck on glove in the crease and all the other BS including Myers intereference

Tocchet’s knows he won’t piss off to the media, he’s learned from his superiors.

Then we got Tyler Myers ass water stank calling out the refs, which didn’t help our shit.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I will never again be as fully vested in a team again after 2011. Not worth it.

IMac simply called out the (rather obvious) truth after Hoggy’s penalties, and Myers merely stated the (true) fact that the refereeing was ass. And now the refs filled their diapers with this game. It’s so predictable.

And now that my kids are in minor hockey and I see first hand where these refs cut their teeth…well, I’m not surprised at all by the outcome. But of coarse, it’s the hardest job there is (it’s not)…right?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Whoa wtf, didn't even know we had a game....10 goals is never a good thing...how did it go really?

• Haha
Reactions: Play

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Can they win with their current goaltending? I think so, there is precedence but it’s extremely rare and not easy.

Their D while it has names on it, I find their only truly reliable defender is Ekholm. Nurse and Bouchard are prone to soft play and bad judgment calls. Usually paired with average goaltending I call that a paper tiger but they have McDrai so who knows.
Skinner hasn't convinced me yet. He's got some tools but he's nothing special do far. Still better than Smith so maybe they can pull off a Vegas but I don't think their d-corps is deep enough.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Yes, but playing 5 fewer games kinda has something to do with not making up much ground.

I could be wrong... but I think despite their 16 win streak during that time period, Canucks were also on a point streak and only lost 3pts of w/e max points they were able to get the entire month. So Edmonton really only gained 3pts regardless.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Wow, Tochett was very calm in the post game comments. Just said got to play better under pressure and have to control their stupid penalties. I thought he would of been steaming after this one. I'm impressed.

Reactions: calnuck

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, but playing 5 fewer games kinda has something to do with not making up much ground.
Oilers have a very tight pack schedule. 7 back to backs left vs Canucks 1. Oilers would have to expend a lot of energy to catch the Canucks. I think Vegas has a better chance to catch us since they have some head to heads left against us.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I could be wrong... but I think despite their 16 win streak during that time period, Canucks were also on a point streak and only lost 3pts of w/e max points they were able to get the entire month. So Edmonton really only gained 3pts regardless.
Yes, I know the Canucks played very well during that stretch.

But if a team is X points back but have 5 fewer games played...it's kinda obvious the gap is exaggerated.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Wow, Tochett was very calm in the post game comments. Just said got to play better under pressure and have to control their stupid penalties. I thought he would of been steaming after this one. I'm impressed.
I'm sure what he'd thinking is different than what he says to the media. Can't really win being honest about the ref performance since they hold grudges and we might get some of these refs in the playoffs. Refs are basically like any unchecked person in power and immune to criticism or consequences.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Mistake not starting Demko in the 3rd. This game was very much up for grabs, and while sitting 1st in the league, it doesn't matter who we collect the points against.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Another 'game' I was able to watch. The comments have already said it all.

That being said, I thought Pete was fairly poor, aside from his goal.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Do you think a season of 82 games was going to be all highs with no lows? A few losses completely rattled this entire fanbase when we’ve been absolute dog shit for 10 years prior. I truly don’t get it, help me understand this line of thinking where the team is going to be perfect every single game.

You guys get way too caught up in your emotions of the highs to the lows and act as if losing a game dictates how the season will play out - and this goes for when they were winning so much too.

Bruins are 4-4-1 L10.
Colorado is 5-4-1 L10.
Jets are 4-5-1 L10.

Not sure why those teams are even bothering to play anymore, they’re obviously cooked too.
I didn't read your post too carefully but I think I get the gist - that we need to re-open the tank thread. I'm on my way to bump it now.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I'm unreasonably annoyed at how easily we gave up the puck for them to score their 10th goal.

It also gave Kaprizov a hat-trick.

Would've felt better about a 9-7 loss than 10-7.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's the curse of Excel Energy Center.....it goes all the way back to the days of the West Coast Express when Todd Bertuzzi dissed the Wild and guaranteed a series win. And they got whipped by a Jacques Lemaire team that didn't have a single scorer other than Marian Gaborik.

Over the years it's been the Canuck equivalent of the twilight zone or the Bermuda Triangle. Luongo couldn't win there to save his life. Weird things happen, and they just implode. I mean you could go the next decade and not see a Canuck team surrender four, five on three PP's.

So just flush it and head to Denver.

Reactions: Grantham

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Haven't really noticed Lindholm at all... especially with the projected numbers in the re-sign thread in mind.

• Wow
Reactions: Play

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I had to go back and watch the penalties because watching live I felt like there wasnt any that you could not legitimately call.

Live... I think the worst call was the non-freeze where DeSmith had the puck under his leg and they just let the play continue. Maybe I dont understand the rule correctly but that should have been whistled dead.

Garlands stick hits Middleton in the face:
1 Garland.png

Lindholm hits Eriksson Ek away from the play as revenge for an earlier hit on I think Blueger. Maybe a bit weak?
2 Lindholm.png

Zadorov wraps Duhaime taking him down:
3 Zadorov.png

Blueger hits Boldy in the face with his stick:
4 Blueger.png

To me this one was the most iffy of the penalties. Could not find a proper angle, but it does seem like maybe EP has his stick in Zuccarellos armpit to take him down...
5 Pettersson hook.png

It felt awful, but I dont think this was the kind of botch by the refs that people make it out to be.

Also DeSmith wasnt garbage. Most of the goals he had zero chance on.

Haven't really noticed Lindholm at all... especially with the projected numbers in the re-sign thread in mind.
That is weird.

I recommend you pay extra attention to his play when he isn't around the puck or when the opposition has the puck.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
First game this year I've missed. Looks like it was a good one to miss haha. All I want to know is... were the 5 on 3s legit calls, because the powerplay gap is huge here.

Having not seen it I'm also happy Hughes got some points he has 4 in his last 5 while Makar has 0.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Tocchet’s knows he won’t piss off to the media, he’s learned from his superiors.

Then we got Tyler Myers ass water stank calling out the refs, which didn’t help our shit.
This is a serious issue beyond just a penalty.

Any smaller player can have contact to the head just due to size. Myers penalty was just that, a size difference and until more it talked about it the more it can be "used" at certain times.

How can a 6'6" player hit a 5'9" player in the center of his chest with the only legal (Rules) body part being his shoulder?
If he squats down to make that legal hit, it could be looked at as "targeting" the head, a huge fine and penalty.

A smaller player could skate into Myers and get head contact with Myers' ass or Myers might spin and hit with his hip and the little guy is bent just a bit. It is pretty close now.

Reactions: Grantham

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The way to think about games in hand is to not think of them in the Benning way "if we win the games in hand we'll be right there". The way to think of them is to take the points available and use a reasonable estimate of a team point percentage. So you can be generous and say a 0.700 pt% pace (that's a 115 point season). For 5 games that's 7 points. Yes that puts the Oilers within 6 points. But 6 points is generally REALLY hard to make up in today's NHL.

On December 1 the Oilers were 15 points back of the canucks with 2 games in hand. So yes they've gained some ground but actually not a huge amount. And having 5 game extra to play in 2 months may not be advantageous for them at all.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

There's no real point to blowing a gasket in the media. Refs made their point and unless a bunch of teams want to all start bashing their incompetence, it's better not to keep calling them out. They'll just keep f***ing with us.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I'm unreasonably annoyed at how easily we gave up the puck for them to score their 10th goal.

It also gave Kaprizov a hat-trick.

Would've felt better about a 9-7 loss than 10-7.
No need for that shot to have even taken place. Up by 2 with 5 seconds left and and empty net. Not necessary. Watch any basketball game and if there is an insurmountable lead in the last 30 seconds the teams just bounce the ball till time expires....they do not take a 3 point shot to add to their totals! Yet, we then get upset when somebody takes a slapshot into an empty net to WIN a game! Well thought out?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad