Post-Game Talk: Canucks Kick Bruins Ass 3-2 OT (Boeser 2, Hronek), We Are So Back!!!

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
People always had sympathy for him because Cherry was a senile racist bastard.

Turns out Ron is almost just as big a pos but tries to cover it up with his creepy hometown hockey/I could have been a ref schtick.
Dom cherry wasn't racist. Stop. He just had a schtick.

Anyway that's a character building win for sure! Finally got home and watched the highlights and I can see what you guys mean about the 3rd period. The best stuff from the Canucks came when they needed it most.

Hopefully this is a springboard for a return to form and a run of wins here going into March. You always want to get hot at the right time in a contending year.

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
Glad to see the team pulled a big W from a top team so we can put to rest the (false) narrative that they lay eggs against the best. Fact: in every recent game against a top team except the last one against the Bruins, they've played well enough to win and especially at even strength. You're going to lose against good teams sometimes. That's just reality.

Oh and f*** off Bruins, with Bergeron gone you've got no one worth liking now except marginally Pasta.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
They are not built for the playoffs.

They aren’t physical, they are rather slow against much faster teams such as ours, and rely too heavily on their goaltenders. Pastrnak, much like we’ve been dogging Petey lately, is even more of a liability when he’s not scoring. At least Petey provides usefulness in other areas when he’s not scoring.
It's weird to say the Bruins aren't built for the playoffs but you're probably right. They've still got an incredible goalie/defense spine to build from though. Hate that team but it's an A+ organization. They'll figure it out.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Hoglander make 1.1 million this year and next year.
Just making sure that people know.
One of the best stories of this season, in my mind. Love that he's putting it together. He's the kind of secondary piece the best teams in the league provide for themselves from within their system. I realize it's looking a little dire for Podkolzin but I hope the same thing happens with him. They need to get him into some NHL games and see what he has.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Hoglander make 1.1 million this year and next year.
Just making sure that people know.
Should try and get him on a long term deal for under 3 millon

It's weird to say the Bruins aren't built for the playoffs but you're probably right. They've still got an incredible goalie/defense spine to build from though. Hate that team but it's an A+ organization. They'll figure it out.
Nah they suck and are overrated. High PDO the last couple years and easy flight schedule

Reactions: Indiana

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Just got back from the game. Wow what a great game to go to.

Zadorov was massive and all over the ice in the offensive zone. He looks like a keeper when he plays like this. Just dominant and it’s even more apparent in person.

Miller was a freight train tonight. Hitting everything that moved, out there calling plays and directing players, 3 assists. Dominant performance.

Hughes up close is sensational. Just a pure figure skater out there

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not an understatement to say that was the biggest win of the year.
No doubt about it.....might be the most important win in the last three seasons.....they were staring a five-game regulation losing streak in the face entering the third period. But never quit on the game and got rewarded.

And what can you say about J.T. Miller? A three assist night....but more important that that, he's a leader on and off the ice. Even in the recent slump he continued to be the Canucks best player.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Just got back from the game. Far too many Bruins fans at the game, and for that reason I remember why I hate them so much.

Team played too safe in the first two periods against a very tight defensive Boston team. Kinda felt a comeback coming after seeing them dominate possession until the Boeser goal. Hronek had a really rough 2nd period but I liked that he recomposed himself for the 3rd and ended up with the tying goal. Zadorov was fantastic.

6th (?) game in a row with a horrible Juulsen turnover leading to a primo scoring chance against. Maybe it's time for him to sit again. Really didn't like the undisciplined stuff from Myers and Cole.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
@Felidae because I would like to discuss further

Re Boeser

What’s his shooting percentage this year vs his career, I do wonder.

I’m sticking to my guns, I don’t like him as a player. If he won his board battles and skated like he has two working legs with more regularity, I’d have all the time in the world for him. But he doesn’t so I don’t.

You don’t get a free pass just because you score goals. Nor should you.

Need goals to win eh

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Just got back from the game. Far too many Bruins fans at the game, and for that reason I remember why I hate them so much.

Team played too safe in the first two periods against a very tight defensive Boston team. Kinda felt a comeback coming after seeing them dominate possession until the Boeser goal. Hronek had a really rough 2nd period but I liked that he recomposed himself for the 3rd and ended up with the tying goal. Zadorov was fantastic.

6th (?) game in a row with a horrible Juulsen turnover leading to a primo scoring chance against. Maybe it's time for him to sit again. Really didn't like the undisciplined stuff from Myers and Cole.
5th game for Juulsen, but sure I agree

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Just got back from the game. Wow what a great game to go to.

Zadorov was massive and all over the ice in the offensive zone. He looks like a keeper when he plays like this. Just dominant and it’s even more apparent in person.

Miller was a freight train tonight. Hitting everything that moved, out there calling plays and directing players, 3 assists. Dominant performance.

Hughes up close is sensational. Just a pure figure skater out there

Hughes is f***ing insane IRL isn't he? As good as he looks on TV it's even better live. We're so lucky to have him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Was just gonna say that. Guy has alot of hidden offensive potential. Wouldn't mind trying him in front of the net on the PP.

I wouldn't say Zadorov's offensive potential is necessarily "hidden". Heck, the guy scored twice as many goals as Quin last year. lol. He's got an absolute howitzer of a shot and he's been pretty clear through his entire career that he just loves to score goals.

So it's not really "hidden". It's just...inconsistent. Many teams have tried to bring this out of him over the years. But the reality is, he's been at his best when he plays more within himself...and just happens to have random games like today where he's totally feeling it. He's certainly got all the tools for it. He's just not always a guy you want gambling because some nights, he's not going to be "on" the same way and that's not great.

Proud of our leaders who stepped up at the end with Miller leading the front.

Zadorov with his best game as a Canuck. Suter, Garland, Blueger, PDG, Hughes, Myers, Demko were all solid.

I thought Juulsen and Hronek had a so-so game.

The bad

Cole needs load management, I’d sit him for a couple of games and perhaps rotate Woo/Freidman in. He needs some rest.

Lafferty has been very inconsistent the last 10 games. He’s not finishing his checks, he doesn’t seem to have his speed, and has a hard time moving the puck. Just needs to find his rythym.

This game showed Bains still has some work to do before he becomes a full time NHL’er. His reaction times are a step behind and as a result has cost the team some penalties. Great story though, and should be sent back down once Joshua is healthy. I like what I’m seeing from him.

Mikheyev - He needs to go. Feel for the guy, but he’s useless out there. I honestly don’t think he’s going to be around much longer. He’s gone before March 8th.

Totally agree with everything about this except for the Mikheyev thing. I still just don't think he's been as bad as people make it out to be. He's gone ice cold in terms of goal-scoring, but that's gonna happen when you have a ~20G Middle-6 Complementary Winger. Even if you toss them into a consistent Top-6 Role.

Even when he's not scoring, he still does a lot of the other things very well. Heck, he had some golden opportunities tonight too. Those will come when he plays the right way. But it's like Higgins or Hansen where...the finish just isn't always going to be there. 20G scorers are streaky by their nature. It's an indication that they've got a lot of ability to but probably not a lot of consistent finish. It doesn't mean that over an 82 game season they're gonna score a goal exactly once every 4th game. It means sometimes they'll score a few in some games and then will go cold and "whiff" for maybe even 10 games or whatever he's working on at other points. Then next week, he might score a couple more goals again. When he's contributing positively overall, that's still worth having.

Trying to get defensively responsible 20G scorers at the deadline tends to get more costly than it's probably worth to this team, when they already have one.

The only way that makes sense to me, is if they're bringing in a bona fide Top-6 30G sort of winger to replace him. Upgrading to that next, more consistent tier of offensive players without significantly downgrading the two-way ability and all the little things that Mikheyev does to help free his linemates up to try to make plays offensively.

In terms of the offseason? Yeah...there's gonna have to be some soul searching in a lot of areas trying to prioritize and sort out who they can afford to pay, who could be moved to make room and what is most important moving forward.

But in the meantime...major upgrade on Mikheyev or just keep him. And that major upgrade doesn't seem super likely. Supremely expensive time to be shopping for that if you can even get it.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
GLAw.gif
The 'B' is for Boston sucks!

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Mikheyev was much better today. Noticeable in person and he seemed to have wheels and joined the wall battles tonight. But still, wonder if we can parlay him with assets into someone bigger with a scoring touch like Mantha. Would do wonders for us. But if it’s not possible, he can still be a useful player when he plays like tonight.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Just got home from a birthday dinner party but the hosts are Canuck fans, too, so the game was on. What a thrilling comeback! I just read the posts in the GDT from when we started to score and all the celebrating. Now I'm going to read this PGT.

What impressed me was the confidence the guys showed, and they were so aggressive on the forecheck. We kept beating them to pucks. That's the way to do it. Swayman was so good, too. But the guys did it!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Indiana and Jovofan

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1