Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Blue Jackets - 5-4 (OT) (Boeser x3, Petey x2) | DOWN WITH THE PGT!

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I mean no disrespect to Matthias Ohlund, but is Quinn Hughes already the greatest defenseman in Canucks history? He's got to be close to knocking on the door at least. Maybe he needs a long playoff run on his resume, and a few more seasons, but we've never had a guy like this before.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I mean no disrespect to Matthias Ohlund, but is Quinn Hughes already the greatest defenseman in Canucks history? He's got to be close to knocking on the door at least. Maybe he needs a long playoff run on his resume, and a few more seasons, but we've never had a guy like this before.

Yeah, he is... no contest.

And I'm saying this as a big Ohlund fan.

Last edited:

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
throw away the nhl rule book.jpg

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I don't think it's disrespectful at all. The gap in per game rates etc means Hughes is easily the best we ever had. We have never had a Norris level guy play here for any significant amount of time.

I'd honestly put Edler as the 2nd best career for a Canucks Dman and in terms of in game impact Jovo has got to be considered (and his stats adjusted for the dead puck era). Hughes > Jovo for sure in my mind though.

We have to appreciate what we got here, the kid is very special.

Reactions: Indiana and ziploc

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it's disrespectful at all. The gap in per game rates etc means Hughes is easily the best we ever had. We have never had a Norris level guy play here for any significant amount of time.

I'd honestly put Edler as the 2nd best career for a Canucks Dman and in terms of in game impact Jovo has got to be considered (and his stats adjusted for the dead puck era). Hughes > Jovo for sure in my mind though.

We have to appreciate what we got here, the kid is very special.

Jovanovski to me is one of the most overrated Canucks ever and he'd be on the fringes of my top 10 Canuck defenders.

But yeah, Hughes is easily the best D in franchise history. He'll be #2 in defensive scoring in a couple weeks and #1 by the end of next year. The only Norris-level player we've ever had.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Ohlund was so good in his prime. So solid defensively and never had an off game. Built like a truck and was good both ways. Second best D in our history.

Suter has fit in really well on PP1 and with Miller and Boeser. Surprised how well.

I really think they need to split up Kuz and Mik. Both guys are struggling and I don't see why they have to struggle together? It makes no sense. Put Hog with Kuz and Mik with Laff.

Also shout out to everyone for the 5 min kill. Top to bottom they all shared the load.

Pettersson, Miller, Mikheyev, Garland, Joshua, Blueger, Suter, Lafferty and Aman and all the D... amazing work.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Jovanovski to me is one of the most overrated Canucks ever and he'd be on the fringes of my top 10 Canuck defenders.

But yeah, Hughes is easily the best D in franchise history. He'll be #2 in defensive scoring in a couple weeks and #1 by the end of next year. The only Norris-level player we've ever had.
I would probably have the top five as:
Hughes
Ohlund
Edler
Lumme
Bieksa

Salo, Jovo, Lidster, Ehrhoff, and Hamhuis would fill in the rest of my top 10.

I liked Snepts a ton as a kid, but the game was so different it would be hard to gauge his relative status now. Same with Kearns, though I never saw him play. Jeff Brown was here about as long as Ehrhoff, and he was a big part of that 94 playoff run. His (positive) impact is maybe not as good as Ehrhoff's though. Paul Reinhart is another short-term big impact player, but didn't have the long playoff run.

Edit: Tanev should get a look in as well, of course. Especially if he triumphantly returns this year from the wilderness.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

I mean I fully admit I was a kid when Jovo played for us and was a huge fan of his so I have a bias here. I probably didnt really know what I was watching, but on those teams Jovo really did stick out to a child.

This franchise has not had many stars and on D have basically never had one. They had Brown who previously put up star numbers etc, but no one who played here for any amount of time that was at that level, so Hughes is there by default really. Demko has to match up to and compare against Luongo and forwards have Bure, the Sedins, the WCE etc to compare against but D have really no one of league wide repute, even if they were integral pieces here.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and ziploc

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
They still have a losing record against playoff teams I think, and are something like 20-2 against non-playoff teams. But sure, the Canucks are the frauds :laugh:

Wild game, only caught bits and pieces but it looked like a different team everytime I had a chance to tune in. Nice way to end off before the break - hopefully the boys come back refreshed as the opponent quality is about to go up & they can't afford to turn it on/off like they have the last little stretch here.
images (2).jpg

Hughes
Ohlund
Edler
Lumme
Bieksa

I liked Snepts a ton as a kid, but the game was so different it would be hard to gauge his relative status now. Same with Kearns, though I never saw him play. Jeff Brown was here about as long as Ehrhoff, and he was a big part of that 94 playoff run. His (positive) impact is maybe not as good as Ehrhoff's though. Paul Reinhart is another short-term big impact player, but didn't have the long playoff run.

Edit: Tanev should get a look in as well, of course. Especially if he triumphantly returns this year from the wilderness.
pngtree-happy-emoji-emoticon-showing-double-thumbs-up-like-picture-image_7851906.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hughes
Ohlund
Edler
Lumme
Bieksa

I only remember Snepsts as an old man from his return from 1988-1990.

But going back and watching old full games that are available from his prime ... damn, he was good. Absolutely pops as the best Canuck on the ice in multiple games of the 1982 Finals.

Bieksa would not be in my top-5 and certainly not ahead of Hamhuis who was the guy driving that pairing when the two of them played together for multiple seasons.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I only remember Snepsts as an old man from his return from 1988-1990.

But going back and watching old full games that are available from his prime ... damn, he was good. Absolutely pops as the best Canuck on the ice in multiple games of the 1982 Finals.

Bieksa would not be in my top-5 and certainly not ahead of Hamhuis who was the guy driving that pairing when the two of them played together for multiple seasons.
Snepts was an absolute unit and a fan favourite. He'd be up there with my favourite players of all time, but he's not in the same ice rink as Hughes in terms of talent.

Hamhuis was so solid, and Bieksa could have his giant brain farts, but it's hard to overlook the big-play Bieksa moments in Canucks history. Hamhuis was probably quietly better, but I don't know anyone who has a Boom Boom Hamhuis tattoo across their chest, and I DO know at least one woman who has a Boom Boom Bieksa tattoo there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
before hughes, ohlund was the best, greatest, highest peak, most whatever of all canucks dmen ever, full stop. and i don’t think it was close.

all due respect to edler’s longer service, the sneaky high impact peaks of snepsts, hamhuis, and maybe a few others, gaudy per game scoring of reinhart and jeff brown, the more eye catching game of jovo.

but hughes is something else altogether. he already has a pt/game playoff run that was a game seven away from the third round. i said in the hughes thread: current hughes might have the largest non-goalie impact of any canuck ever.

in the same way that by the end of year two you’d already call bure the greatest goalscorer in canucks history (over tony tanti’s five straight 40 goal seasons, or whoever else you’d put there), hughes is such a giant level up that he passed ohlund years ago.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
before hughes, ohlund was the best, greatest, highest peak, most whatever of all canucks dmen ever, full stop. and i don’t think it was close.

all due respect to edler’s longer service, the sneaky high impact peaks of snepsts, hamhuis, and maybe a few others, gaudy per game scoring of reinhart and jeff brown, the more eye catching game of jovo.

but hughes is something else altogether. he already has a pt/game playoff run that was a game seven away from the third round. i said in the hughes thread: current hughes might have the largest non-goalie impact of any canuck ever.

in the same way that by the end of year two you’d already call bure the greatest goalscorer in canucks history (over tony tanti’s five straight 40 goal seasons, or whoever else you’d put there), hughes is such a giant level up that he passed ohlund years ago.
It's a testament to both how great Hughes is, and how poor our history with top end defensemen is. The 2010-11 team had remarkable depth, but nobody on the same level as Hughes.
Call me greedy, but I am hoping we also hit on Willander, and maybe even D-Petey or Bru. Even one of the three (Willander most likely) becoming a top 4 guy would be a score, but I dare to dream for more.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Ohlund was so good in his prime. So solid defensively and never had an off game. Built like a truck and was good both ways. Second best D in our history.

Suter has fit in really well on PP1 and with Miller and Boeser. Surprised how well.

I really think they need to split up Kuz and Mik. Both guys are struggling and I don't see why they have to struggle together? It makes no sense. Put Hog with Kuz and Mik with Laff.

Also shout out to everyone for the 5 min kill. Top to bottom they all shared the load.

Pettersson, Miller, Mikheyev, Garland, Joshua, Blueger, Suter, Lafferty and Aman and all the D... amazing work.

Yeah I want Hogs and Kuze together... see what happens. And have Petey as their centre if we continue to split the 6 40 9 line.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

Ohlund was a top 10 defenseman during his prime.

Hughes is a top 10 player and a Hart candidate. It's a disrespect for Hughes to be compared to Ohlund IMO, and Ohlund is my favorite player.

Pre injury Ohlund? We can talk that Ohlund was on pace to becoming a Norris caliber defenseman, but Hughes is only rivaled by Bure in Canucks history if we're talking sheer talent and impact.

Reactions: nucks88 and ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Ohlund was a top 10 defenseman during his prime.

Hughes is a top 10 player and a Hart candidate. It's a disrespect for Hughes to be compared to Ohlund IMO, and Ohlund is my favorite player.

Pre injury Ohlund? We can talk that Ohlund was on pace to becoming a Norris caliber defenseman, but Hughes is only rivaled by Bure in Canucks history if we're talking sheer talent and impact.
The only reason I'm even asking the question is because Hughes is only in his fifth year and Ohlund played 11 seasons for us. I agree that Hughes is our greatest D-man, certainly talent-wise, and I expect by the end of the season accomplishment-wise as well. But Ohlund, especially as you say pre-injury Ohlund, was a beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3