Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Blue Jackets - 5-4 (OT) (Boeser x3, Petey x2) | DOWN WITH THE PGT!

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I mean no disrespect to Matthias Ohlund, but is Quinn Hughes already the greatest defenseman in Canucks history? He's got to be close to knocking on the door at least. Maybe he needs a long playoff run on his resume, and a few more seasons, but we've never had a guy like this before.
If Quinn Hughes was traded next season, he would already have essentially the defenseman equivalent of Pavel Bure’s career in Vancouver…without any HHOF competition at his position. So yeah: I would say he is already the Canucks greatest defenseman.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there really any debate about this?.....In their sorry 53-year history of drafting d-men, the Canucks have never come close to finding a guy who was even in the conversation to win a Norris Trophy. I mean 'never'.

Hughes is probably one the favorites this year, and will be part of a small list of d-men around the league who will be in a position to win it, year after year.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Was at the game last night. Some thoughts:

Seeing criticisms of Boeser early in the GDT reminds me not to rely on poster comments here at HFCanucks. Makes me think twice about all the Myers comments. Maybe I missed seeing it commented on in the GDT, but Hughes had the worst turnover by a D this game, in the second period making a cross ice pass into the neutral zone that was cleanly picked off. The only worse turnover was Miller leading to the 3rd columbus goal.

On another note, going into the 3rd period with 90 seconds left of PP time gave the feeling that if the Canucks could score, they could get the team to OT. And when they did, well yeah the crowd went wild. The team had dominated the first period, sucked in the second, but up until then nearly all the bounces had gone Columbus's way, and of they would just even out columbus was in trouble.

Speaking of the second period, Tochett needs to get his shit together. Everytime I looked at the shift lengths on the corner of the jumbotron, Canucks were putting up minute plus shifts, often around or over 1:15. Usually they were not hemmed in the entire time. Tochett should be running 25 second shifts in the second period, increasing only if they are hemming in the other team.

A minor point. Miller is excellent on faceoff, needs to be careful not to get thrown out of the circle quite so much. He really wants Hughes as close behind him as possible, slightly to his left, while Hughes wants to be centered behind him much further back. It was funny watching Hughes do what Miller would tell him, then fade back when Miller'sback was turned. They need to adjust their PP faceoff setup, Petey should go where Miller wants Hughes, and Hughes can stay way back where he wants to be.

And once again . . . just like I have been saying for years . . . BROCK BOESER

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Seeing criticisms of Boeser early in the GDT reminds me not to rely on poster comments here at HFCanucks. Makes me think twice about all the Myers comments. Maybe I missed seeing it commented on in the GDT, but Hughes had the worst turnover by a D this game, in the second period making a cross ice pass into the neutral zone that was cleanly picked off. The only worse turnover was Miller leading to the 3rd columbus goal.

On another note, going into the 3rd period with 90 seconds left of PP time gave the feeling that if the Canucks could score, they could get the team to OT. And when they did, well yeah the crowd went wild. The team had dominated the first period, sucked in the second, but up until then nearly all the bounces had gone Columbus's way, and of they would just even out columbus was in trouble.

Speaking of the second period, Tochett needs to get his shit together. Everytime I looked at the shift lengths on the corner of the jumbotron, Canucks were putting up minute plus shifts, often around or over 1:15. Usually they were not hemmed in the entire time. Tochett should be running 25 second shifts in the second period, increasing only if they are hemming in the other team.

A minor point. Miller is excellent on faceoff, needs to be careful not to get thrown out of the circle quite so much. He really wants Hughes as close behind him as possible, slightly to his left, while Hughes wants to be centered behind him much further back. It was funny watching Hughes do what Miller would tell him, then fade back when Miller'sback was turned. They need to adjust their PP faceoff setup, Petey should go where Miller wants Hughes, and Hughes can stay way back where he wants to be.

Really interesting re the faceoffs.

Reactions: Play and Indiana

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
two things stood out about boeser last night

that first goal as he’s going in for the redirect, it’s not that he won a footrace (although wow, haha), it’s that he effectively used his frame to make sure he got the puck unimpeded. a small thing but impactful that he wouldn’t have done in years past, maybe even earlier in the year.

second is that power move (and again, speed burst) to set up petey in OT. he really is starting to become a real player rather than a guy too talented to not tread water in the NHL. i think a year from now we’ll see boeser really start scratching at his potential, which because of his hockey iq (but sadly no longer because of his shot) is immense.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Really interesting re the faceoffs.
Having said that, iirc there was one in the OT to Demko's left, Miller got Hughes to go high up left side as (almost to hashmarks on the wall), and Hughes stayed there and Miller won the draw right to him.

As much as Hughes is totally awesome, a competent faceoff guy like Miller should be the one calling the shots for puck drop. My kid played centre and we got to spend a season with Manny learning faceoffs. But it's a five-person thing (well, three on OT) even though it all starts with the centre.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
two things stood out about boeser last night

that first goal as he’s going in for the redirect, it’s not that he won a footrace (although wow, haha), it’s that he effectively used his frame to make sure he got the puck unimpeded. a small thing but impactful that he wouldn’t have done in years past, maybe even earlier in the year.

second is that power move (and again, speed burst) to set up petey in OT. he really is starting to become a real player rather than a guy too talented to not tread water in the NHL. i think a year from now we’ll see boeser really start scratching at his potential, which because of his hockey iq (but sadly no longer because of his shot) is immense.
So here is what I have been saying about Boeser for almost a half decade.

His back was broken. Broken.

I haven't broken my back, but I got severe whiplash back when I was in my prime, got rear ended on Delbrook in North Van.

I was a gym rat and played a lot of sports and was in pretty much the best shape in my life. But it took me five years after that before I could finally turn my head on the ice at game pace without fear of wrecking my spine. I kept going to the gym just about every day for those five years.

So with Brock, I never expected him to be 100% for about five years after he was knocked into the gate that Virtanen left open, but I did expect him to regain his form after that.

Of course, I think he has had wrist injuries and his back may never allow him to shoot like he did that first season. Which is a shame, because his shot was a thing of beauty.

So I never had issues with his current contract. Worth every penny.

But giving up a 5th round pick for Lafferty? Outrageous!!!

Well, even i have to be mistaken at least once in my life. But I'm pretty sure I'm right about Brock.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

images (1).jpg

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

The way I see it, people are still having PTSD from the Reign of Error, because during that period any mistakes made, that are called out early, almost always turned out to be true.

I think our current management, competent as they are, have done enough to warrant some benefit of the doubt and patience from the fans. And this is why that I'm not super concerned about Kuzmenko.

TDL coming up, the team has some big decisions to make.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
It’s interesting to note that Suter played 21:36 last night.

PA keeps mentioning that Tocchet is a big puzzle guy and wants the right pieces in his lineup. Based off ice time, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev might not be here after TDL. They don’t seem to have any chemistry with any our top 6 forwards. Suter OTOH, has produced since being put on Millers line and #1 PP.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I only remember Snepsts as an old man from his return from 1988-1990.

But going back and watching old full games that are available from his prime ... damn, he was good. Absolutely pops as the best Canuck on the ice in multiple games of the 1982 Finals.

Bieksa would not be in my top-5 and certainly not ahead of Hamhuis who was the guy driving that pairing when the two of them played together for multiple seasons.
Hamhuis was underrated all the way from prince george to retirement

His ability to read the play develop and adjust was fantastic.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It’s interesting to note that Suter played 21:36 last night.

PA keeps mentioning that Tocchet is a big puzzle guy and wants the right pieces in his lineup. Based off ice time, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev might not be here after TDL. They don’t seem to have any chemistry with any our top 6 forwards. Suter OTOH, has produced since being put on Millers line and #1 PP.

in the second half the last season, under the current coaching staff, kuzmenko scored 22 goals and 38 pts in 40 games, primarily on a line with petey.

so he does have chemistry with someone in the top six, it’s just not being utilized correctly or showing itself right now.

with mikheyev struggling, i’d like to see kuz - petey - hog tried out and given a real honest shot.

but yeah, suter is proving to be a very good swiss army knife guy you can out anywhere in the lineup and get good results from.

Reactions: Indiana and ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
in the second half the last season, under the current coaching staff, kuzmenko scored 22 goals and 38 pts in 40 games, primarily on a line with petey.

so he does have chemistry with someone in the top six, it’s just not being utilized correctly or showing itself right now.

with mikheyev struggling, i’d like to see kuz - petey - hog tried out and given a real honest shot.

but yeah, suter is proving to be a very good swiss army knife guy you can out anywhere in the lineup and get good results from.
I would really like to see Hogs with EP and Kuz, and Mik with Aman and Lafferty, prior to any trades being made. But I would not be surprised to see both of them gone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Brock Boeser is having a career year, no doubt about it. But then so are a lot of players on the Canucks.

Of course Horvat was having a career season last year, and Canucks traded him at probably his highest value. Not saying the same thing might happen with Boeser, but it could.

Right now he's on pace for 40-50 goals.......but it might be a 'one and done' season. Boeser is a UFA at the end of next season. And like Horvat, he might be pricing himself out of Vancouver.

Brock Boeser is having a career year, no doubt about it. But then so are a lot of players on the Canucks.

Of course Horvat was having a career season last year, and Canucks traded him at probably his highest value. Not saying the same thing might happen with Boeser, but it could.

Right now he's on pace for 40-50 goals.......but it might be a 'one and done' season. Boeser is a UFA at the end of next season. And like Horvat, he might be pricing himself out of Vancouver.

Reactions: Indiana

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I only remember Snepsts as an old man from his return from 1988-1990.

But going back and watching old full games that are available from his prime ... damn, he was good. Absolutely pops as the best Canuck on the ice in multiple games of the 1982 Finals.

Bieksa would not be in my top-5 and certainly not ahead of Hamhuis who was the guy driving that pairing when the two of them played together for multiple seasons.
Bieksa was never better than in the playoffs. He always took his game to another level. The year we took out St. Louis in the first round he was the best player in the series for either team. I remember I photoshopped up a picture of a beer bottle with Bieksa's face on it and named it "Pronger Lite".

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Its so weird that the NHL and media keep finding weird stats the Canucks break.

Like the latest is Hughes breaking and Edler record and a Dennis Kearns record that held all these decades. And I heard some Paul Reinhart record the other day. And speaking of Paul Reinhart...Paul Reinhart.

PDO was 0.883? this game? Talk about regression!

It was the right player to get a penalty though it's hard to justify why it was a penalty in the first place. Shorty and Ferraro kept saying it was Coleon Danforth with an interference but it was obvious the officials never even considered it - technically it was, but guys go into the corner all the time fishing and scrumming for the puck.
But it was Kuraly that was hurt and bleeding so the officials thought that it was Cole that did it but the review shows Myers. It looks like it was inadvertent by Myers but they made it a match penalty?

The real questions is why? Traditionally, only high sticking is a major and typically it shows blood. So that left the officials to make it a match penalty not giving the benefit to Myers - i.e. it was accidentally on purpose which many players learn how to do, especially when falling into the net on offense.

Again why? Not to be the tin foil hat guy but consider Columbus just took 3 penalties and the Canucks scored on all three of them. I knew there was going to be something to make it up for it and that sure was a way to even it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad