Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Blue Jackets - 5-4 (OT) (Boeser x3, Petey x2) | DOWN WITH THE PGT!

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
What I really want to know is wtf is up with CBC Gem. They have the availability to live stream content, the option to pick content from a dozen cities, yet every channel is set to only one game. And then for selection, tonight for the latter game they had Calgary/Chicago. Last week for the 4PM game they did Montreal Boston. I'm pretty sure in the past two months there's only been a single Canuck game available on Gem.

Reminds me of being a kid in the 90's again pre-Sportsnet when Hockey Night in Canada was my prime source to watch hockey, and while Toronto got a game every single Saturday there'd only be 1-2 Canuck games each month. Except now there's even less Canuck games streamed on CBC Gem than there was back then.
Why put a hot product on a free platform

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Honestly I still feel like we don’t talk about Quinn Hughes enough. 49 games in and I think he’s already put together the best season by a Canucks dman ever.

He is the guy on the team where when he has the puck, I don’t feel anxious whatsoever. He flubs, he falls, but he so rarely makes the incorrect choice with the puck. It’s unbelievable.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Honestly I still feel like we don’t talk about Quinn Hughes enough. 49 games in and I think he’s already put together the best season by a Canucks dman ever.

He is the guy on the team where when he has the puck, I don’t feel anxious whatsoever. He flubs, he falls, but he so rarely makes the incorrect choice with the puck. It’s unbelievable.
he's just such a special player i often don't know what to make of him. we used to dream of getting Shea Weber and finally having a Norris caliber D-man... and now that we have one, he's nothing like we imagined, obliterating teams with hockey sense, skill, and agility.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well...um, that happened. Damn this team is so confusing. In so many games they seem to be unlucky and lucky one after the other.

Amazing come-back either way. Good job boys, enjoy the time off.
They are not confusing.
They are just an inexperienced but really good team

some great quotes from the oilers board

"Vancouver finally showing themselves to be the PDO frauds everyone knew they were."
- posting this after 1 bad game out of 50 is hilarious and the same mentality as some of you here in the GDT

"Honestly not as impressed with Vancouver as others seem to be. Seems like a team that will crumble in the playoffs."
- posting this after the canucks made it 3-4
They oilers will collapse after the all-star break

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Where’s the Oil fan who said Bouchard would pass Hughes in pts?

For Bouchard to realistically pass Hughes in points this season, he'd have to go on a unprecedented defenceman scoring streak in NHL history.

Even if Hughes only put up 1.0 points per game, Bouchard would need to score at a 1.5 clip the rest of the way. That would be prime Orr production, without adjusting for era.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I never thought it would be this entertaining to watch a defenseman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I know it probably won't happen, but Hughes is the Hart Trophy guy for me. I mean the Canucks are tied at the top of the league standings, and where would they be without him?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
he's just such a special player i often don't know what to make of him. we used to dream of getting Shea Weber and finally having a Norris caliber D-man... and now that we have one, he's nothing like we imagined, obliterating teams with hockey sense, skill, and agility.

In all fairness the games changed so much. Weber thrived in his NHL and hung on a bit longer than I thought he would.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Wow! What a comeback! This transplanted-east coaster went to bed at the 2nd intermission was stunned to see the score when I woke up. It did not feel like the puck was bouncing our way last night.

But Jesus…those second periods are now a disturbing pattern.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In all fairness the games changed so much. Weber thrived in his NHL and hung on a bit longer than I thought he would.

It wasn't even like "the game had passed him by" with Weber either.

He was just quite simply, physically broken beyond all repair at that point. His feet and ankles were just obliterated.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
It wasn't even like "the game had passed him by" with Weber either.

He was just quite simply, physically broken beyond all repair at that point. His feet and ankles were just obliterated.
Will medical advancements lead to us seeing longer peaks in the NHL?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Watched the highlights. I got ripped off watching that f***ing 2nd period. Looks like they came to life. Whatever Tochett did during the intermisson worked.

Is the NHL now assessing penalties based on replay? It sounds like they did exactly that! Crazy times.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I feel that was a fairly typical Canucks game ... come out hot, take 2nd period completely off, then improve in the 3rd. Only difference is Demko decided to be a sieve in the 2nd period this time and let just about every unscreened shot in from the hash marks and Merzlikins was good up until he wasn't.

Reactions: Play

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
What I really want to know is wtf is up with CBC Gem. They have the availability to live stream content, the option to pick content from a dozen cities, yet every channel is set to only one game. And then for selection, tonight for the latter game they had Calgary/Chicago. Last week for the 4PM game they did Montreal Boston. I'm pretty sure in the past two months there's only been a single Canuck game available on Gem.

Reminds me of being a kid in the 90's again pre-Sportsnet when Hockey Night in Canada was my prime source to watch hockey, and while Toronto got a game every single Saturday there'd only be 1-2 Canuck games each month. Except now there's even less Canuck games streamed on CBC Gem than there was back then.
I could have sworn it wasn’t like that last year. My guess is that Sportsnet spoiled the party. Another great thing we lost when Sportsnet got a monopoly is that HNIC used to put the replays on YouTube.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What a weird game.

Solid, controlled first period. Exactly the sort of play Tocchet wants and should have been ahead based on the chances.

Then an absolute travesty of a 2nd period. Just atrocious from our top players. Miller full Bozo. Pettersson disengaged. Hughes even making horrible turnovers. Demko poor. Probably the worst period of the entire season.

Should have lost the game at that point but then go 3-3 on PPs in the 3rd period and the star players redeem themselves. I'm guessing Tocchet peeled the paint off the walls in the 2nd intermission.

Despite the points for Boeser/Miller/Pettersson/Hughes on the PP/3-on-3, the best players by far in this game were Garland-Blueger-Joshua. That line was absolutely fantastic all night, even when the rest of the team was disintegrating in the 2nd period. Continually provided energy to start tipping the game back the right way and it's a shame they weren't rewarded with a goal on the many chances they created.

Juulsen had probably the best offensive game I've ever seen from him at this level.

Don't know what to make of that whole Myers/Cole penalty thing. On one hand, the Myers elbow was the worst offense and they got that right. But I'm not at all comfortable with just throwing out the rulebook to make calls against us. Feels very Boston 2011-ish. It's not how it's supposed to work. But on the 3rd hand ... we might actually be lucky that wasn't 2 for Cole and 5 for Myers because both committed infractions on that play. One of the weirdest sequences I can ever remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad