Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Blue Jackets - 5-4 (OT) (Boeser x3, Petey x2) | DOWN WITH THE PGT!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
@biturbo19 i agree with what you said in the GDT about Rogers. They have taken that special feeling that HNIC on a Saturday used to give me as a kid. Now it may as well be a Wednesday night game.

I miss that HNIC feeling.
What I really want to know is wtf is up with CBC Gem. They have the availability to live stream content, the option to pick content from a dozen cities, yet every channel is set to only one game. And then for selection, tonight for the latter game they had Calgary/Chicago. Last week for the 4PM game they did Montreal Boston. I'm pretty sure in the past two months there's only been a single Canuck game available on Gem.

Reminds me of being a kid in the 90's again pre-Sportsnet when Hockey Night in Canada was my prime source to watch hockey, and while Toronto got a game every single Saturday there'd only be 1-2 Canuck games each month. Except now there's even less Canuck games streamed on CBC Gem than there was back then.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I guess all's well that ends well but there were a lot of shaky Canuck play in that one. Team has come off the mat well in the last couple but there has to be some concern about what got them there in the first case. Thank God for Blue Jackets lack of dispiline and our PP in this one.

Good

Boeser - looking like an all star in this game. Best play he made all night was the pass to Pettersson on the winner. Otherwise in the right place at the right time and getting to the net with some speed and touch.

Hughes - like others, looked like a player that could use some rest. Some of the defensive shifts with Hronek were sub par. (especially in the second) But huge on the PP and now at a mind blowing +35.

Miller - really only put in one period of work but he was an important factor in the win. You could see in their efforts getting back into their zone in OT that both him and Pettersson are fighting fatigue. But, both came up huge when they had some space.

Cole - to me, the steadiest of the defense men. Tocchet talks about playing predicatably and Cole is the poster child for that.

Suter - got some chances and, like some others, very good on the late 5 minute penalty. Include Blueger, Joshua and others as far the PK kill late in the game.

Not very Good

Kuzmenko - getting zero done in any area of the game. Searching for his game and not finding it. Just looks aimless

Micheyev - don't know that he is doing anything. Offensively deep, dark and intense black hole.

Zadorov - too lackadaisical. Has enough natural talent to get by even with a passive effort. Play has declined over last while. Real challenge for Tocchet is getting these Russians contributing more.

Demko - there was a lot room open on some of the of goals. Easy for the Blue Jackets to pick a spot. Again I don't think Demko is challenging the shooter enough.

Others

Juulsen - overall decent effort. Did not create the problems some of the other d-men did. At this point, you hope he can just get by and IMO Juulsen and he is doing enough to fulfill that hope. Having a much better season than could have been anticipated.

Myers - game has fallen off since a very good start to the month. Getting some of that hurried, jittery, chasing around quality back in his game. Not as smooth in his getting the puck up to the forwards or working the cross ice passes to his defensive partner. Still he is using his size to keep opponents to the outside off the rush and generally maintaining inside position. Thought the five minute penalty was excessive and that whole sequence was bizarre. For awhile, I thought we were going to be two men short for 5 minutes then, when the refs finished sorting things out, I kinda of felt maybe the Canucks should be a couple down for at least two minutes.

This was excellent win although you could make the case that a blow out loss to Columbus might have made the team more focussed on using the break to re-focus on staying in shape and on getting their team game back to its earlier form.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Thoughts on the game -

Different parts to this one. Great start, deflating middle, and a huge surge to come back. Our top players were huge in the third. Boeser hitting 30 has been a long time coming - so happy for him. Hughes continues to just dominate possession. Miller and Petey were buzzing every shift.

Demko had a rough night. Some good - and key - saves mixed in, but his team bailed him out today.

That referee sequence was absolutely bonkers. Pretty sure they violated the NHL rule book with what they did there. IMO it was a minor penalty on Myers. But calling 5 and a game on a guy, and then deciding to scrap that and call a 5 and a game on a different guy? Comedy hour.

Nice to get out of this one with the win and no injuries. And no big celly for Merzlikins this time. :p:
They thought a guy kneed a guy in the head and smashed his nose, and then when they looked at the replay they saw it was the other guy that elbowed his nose.

Who give a shit about what the rules are technically. Either you use replays to correct your stuff up or you don’t.

Irregardless of if the major and the game is the correct amount of punishment.

IMO better to have the punishment in game and not supplementary.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
They thought a guy kneed a guy in the head and smashed his nose, and then when they looked at the replay they saw it was the other guy that elbowed his nose.

Who give a shit about what the rules are technically. Either you use replays to correct your stuff up or you don’t.

Irregardless of if the major and the game is the correct amount of punishment.

IMO better to have the punishment in game and not supplementary.

In theory, sure. By all means, use review to make proper calls.

My critique is more for the fact that the NHL has a curious habit of making up rules to suit themselves on the fly, to say nothing of their spinning wheel of discipline. Again, I felt Myers should have got an elbowing penalty. But to me, that was a minor.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Canucks snatching the win away from Columbus like
View attachment 812102

Also,

Brock Boeser

I'd say it was kinda more like...

yK8DUOX.gif

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
unfortunately i abandoned the third period to bathe my daughter and put her to bed. got to watch the 5 minute PK and the OT while rocking her to sleep though.

sometimes when i canucks game is on i drag out the bedtime routine so i can watch the last period but i just wasn't feeling it tonight. oh well!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
@biturbo19 i agree with what you said in the GDT about Rogers. They have taken that special feeling that HNIC on a Saturday used to give me as a kid. Now it may as well be a Wednesday night game.

I miss that HNIC feeling.

Yeah. It used to just have such a sense of occasion to it. It's all just totally homogenized now, virtually indistinguishable from any other random weekday broadcast.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
In theory, sure. By all means, use review to make proper calls.

My critique is more for the fact that the NHL has a curious habit of making up rules to suit themselves on the fly, to say nothing of their spinning wheel of discipline. Again, I felt Myers should have got an elbowing penalty. But to me, that was a minor.
Sure. And double minor high sticking is dumb.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
some great quotes from the oilers board

"Vancouver finally showing themselves to be the PDO frauds everyone knew they were."
- posting this after 1 bad game out of 50 is hilarious and the same mentality as some of you here in the GDT

"Honestly not as impressed with Vancouver as others seem to be. Seems like a team that will crumble in the playoffs."
- posting this after the canucks made it 3-4

They still have a losing record against playoff teams I think, and are something like 20-2 against non-playoff teams. But sure, the Canucks are the frauds :laugh:

Wild game, only caught bits and pieces but it looked like a different team everytime I had a chance to tune in. Nice way to end off before the break - hopefully the boys come back refreshed as the opponent quality is about to go up & they can't afford to turn it on/off like they have the last little stretch here.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah. It used to just have such a sense of occasion to it. It's all just totally homogenized now, virtually indistinguishable from any other random weekday broadcast.
Part of that vibe was it just had its own sets and decor. So it was a unique set for HNIC games, unique staff. The lightning was a bit darker, more intimate, like you're going to the Keg for dinner while Sportsnet is like a Boston Pizza. And Sportsnet, its blue and white all the time, whether week day or HNIC.

That said I looooathed the people HNIC had on its panel. Today's HNIC panel is vastly preferable.

1706426743110.png

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
They still have a losing record against playoff teams I think, and are something like 20-2 against non-playoff teams. But sure, the Canucks are the frauds :laugh:

Wild game, only caught bits and pieces but it looked like a different team everytime I had a chance to tune in. Nice way to end off before the break - hopefully the boys come back refreshed as the opponent quality is about to go up & they can't afford to turn it on/off like they have the last little stretch here.
The Oilers cannot ride Skinner into the playoffs. But it looks like they might. How could they be that cruel ? He is going to have a Ty Conklin moment. It wont be his fault. Its the GMs fault.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Also - colossal PK in the third. Just wow.

That was one of those PKs where you could tell they were just kinda pissed about the whole thing and were determined to kill it off. Just a big middle finger to the whole bizarre process of ejecting Myers from the game in the first place and landing on a major the way that they did.

Thought the fans did a great job of really rallying behind that too, which seems superfluous but i think it still helps invigorate the PK in at least some small measure.

I actually loved when they played that Saturday song from Nickelback during the intros, got me so pumped for HNIC

Heck, i'm at the point where i'm nostalgic for that replacement HNIC theme song everyone voted on. But yeah, even the weird Nickelback thing. Just...really anything to differentiate it.

But especially just some actually unique segments, sets, personalities, etc. like @Wisp touched on.

It might sound like "wah wah the good old days", but it truly was a Canadian institution. It was a family event. Just feels like that's all died out at this point. There's nothing special or unique about it anymore.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Part of that vibe was it just had its own sets and decor. So it was a unique set for HNIC games, unique staff. The lightning was a bit darker, more intimate, like you're going to the Keg for dinner while Sportsnet is like a Boston Pizza. And Sportsnet, its blue and white all the time, whether week day or HNIC.

That said I looooathed the people HNIC had on its panel. Today's HNIC panel is vastly preferable.

View attachment 812111

I like the comparison to Boston Pizza. :laugh: I don't even hate BP...but it's whole value is basically in that, "you know exactly what you're gonna get". It'll be extremely mediocre (except that Bandera bread stuff they have, that shit's addictive). The food and the experience. It's basically an identical experience and food whether you're in downtown Vancouver or Fort Nelson. The McDonald's of "sit down restaurants". But just utterly sterilized of any character or uniqueness. You could CIA black bag someone, put them in any Boston Pizza in the country, make the big reveal...and they'd have absolutely no clue what province they're even in, much less specific location. And way expensive for what it is.

Keg is also very homogenized, but at least the majority of them tend to integrate some sort of unique contextual elements or local flair. They tend to at least have some character to them, at least superficially. And the whole thing definitely has a different "tone". That's pretty similar to what HNIC used to feel like i think.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

As I said 10 years ago, unfortunately I was right, but HNIC is dead. put it back on CBC production where it belongs. And for god sakes bring back Tim Thompson. Haven’t seen an intro that got me going like his did since.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00