Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 Oilers 1

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Maybe McLellan put Lucic out as the extra guy because he knew there would be less chance of a goal so that we could lose and get a better draft position. Brilliant move if you ask me. Losing tonight bumped us back down from 9th to 7th and made up for beating the Kings last week. I really don’t understand why people want the team to win games at this point. The ONLY thing that does is give us a less valuable draft/trade asset. Winning actually makes us worse, but people have some sort of misplaced pride or something. I hope they lose every game left, get the highest value asset they can get and be a better team next year because of it.

We've seen how that movie ends multiple times. It's much more important that we win some games and gain confidence and momentum to carry into next season. The majority of this team will be back next season, it's important that they carry some confidence in and get off to a good start.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
No need for any more nails in that Flamer coffin. The body has been dead and decaying for some time now. All that's left are some bones for the vultures to pick at. Nothing to see there. Always fun to beat the Flamers though, as long as it doesn't screw up our lottery chances any.

We're breathing down the necks of the 2 NY teams and Chicago. Another win and we lose 3 spots in the draft. We can't afford another win

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Mcd and Drai can't do more, but they can do it earlier. Piling up points in garbage time doesn't help the team make the playoffs.

I know, and while I hate the "he was sick" excuse, I will let McDavid slide this season. I can't get on the Hart train though, but that's just me.

Special teams and Talbot stinking killed this team, if those things get right the team will be much better next season. Now how to get faster is a whole 'nother discussion. ;)

McDavid has been doing it all year, no way there should be blame going that way.

He didn't get his 16th goal until game 50 of the season, now he scores at will. He had 56 points and was tenth in the league in scoring. It is insane what he has done, but it has all been from game 50 on.

By game 50 the Oilers were 26th in the standings and about five games past being out of it.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Mcd and Drai can't do more, but they can do it earlier. Piling up points in garbage time doesn't help the team make the playoffs.

McDavid has been doing it all year, no way there should be blame going that way. He has been stiffled by players around him not getting the job done, and also by the coaching staff screwing him over with incompetent special team system play and personnel. He's also very healthy now after undergoing a couple bouts of sickness earlier in the season.

Drai has been terribly inconsistent, but beyond that, the last couple to 3 weeks, seems to have checked out mentally a lot of times. He's yet one more guy on this team that seriously needs a next year reboot.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Drai has been terribly inconsistent, but beyond that, the last couple to 3 weeks, seems to have checked out mentally a lot of times. He's yet one more guy on this team that seriously needs a next year reboot.

Checked out mentally? He had four prime scoring opportunities and only bad luck kept him off the scoresheet. To suggest he's mailed it in is ludicrous.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Checked out mentally? He had four prime scoring opportunities and only bad luck kept him off the scoresheet. To suggest he's mailed it in is ludicrous.

He was provided with some prime scoring opportunities. To use bad luck to provide an excuse for everything is the ludicrous part. If you were actually watching the same game I was, you would have noticed, he consistently gave the puck away numerous times, and the play died on his stick more often than not. He did not have a good game, and has been very inconsistent the last while. His recent point totals back that up.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know, and while I hate the "he was sick" excuse, I will let McDavid slide this season. I can't get on the Hart train though, but that's just me.

Special teams and Talbot stinking killed this team, if those things get right the team will be much better next season. Now how to get faster is a whole 'nother discussion. ;)

He didn't get his 16th goal until game 50 of the season, now he scores at will. He had 56 points and was tenth in the league in scoring. It is insane what he has done, but it has all been from game 50 on.

By game 50 the Oilers were 26th in the standings and about five games past being out of it.

He was also saddled with the incomprable Milan Lucic for much of those first 50 games, as well as going through 2 bouts of sickness, which will slow you down not only when you're sick but also weaken you afterward for a time. If anyone on this team, or in this league should be given some rope, I would think McDavid is the guy.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
He was provided with some prime scoring opportunities. To use bad luck to provide an excuse for everything is the ludicrous part. If you were actually watching the same game I was, you would have noticed, he consistently gave the puck away numerous times, and the play died on his stick more often than not. He did not have a good game, and has been very inconsistent the last while. His recent point totals back that up.

He's struggling defensively due to the fact that he's playing with borderline AHL players, owing to our wing depth (thanks, Chia).

Offensively, as I said, he created several opportunities, which means that he's trying and hasn't given up. If he got 0 shots on goal or created nothing, then you can make a case. Markstrom robbed him 3 or 4 times and stopped a cross-ice pass intended for Aberg. Hopefully the giveaways are something that he can iron out of his game.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He was also saddled with the incomprable Milan Lucic for much of those first 50 games, as well as going through 2 bouts of sickness, which will slow you down not only when you're sick but also weaken you afterward for a time. If anyone on this team, or in this league should be given some rope, I would think McDavid is the guy.

For sure and I have noted previously that McD was ill.

Next to Talbot, Lucic is problem 1A. The next coach better figure something out in regards to him, he is no longer a top six player who should be getting 16 minutes a game.

Oct 15, 2008
I'd like to see wins as well, but in October, November, December before we ever get to the new year. Winning now has a weird feeling to it, as the pressure is far different for teams that are out of it, and the shuffling of players can skewer a perception. All a bunch of wins now do, is perhaps mask the larger issues that will then be scuffled over in the off season, with the hope that things will be better. The Leafs with Sundin as their centrepiece used to be masters of this. Get knocked out of the race early, then run off a bunch of wins in garbage tiem, and screw themselves out of a higher pick. Management got sucked in year after year by this process and basically left most of the mess together. That is the feeling I get about this year for us.

This isn't untrue but I just can't cheer for losses anymore. No 18yr old, McDavid being the possible exception is going to fix what is wrong with this team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe McLellan put Lucic out as the extra guy because he knew there would be less chance of a goal so that we could lose and get a better draft position. Brilliant move if you ask me. Losing tonight bumped us back down from 9th to 7th and made up for beating the Kings last week. I really don’t understand why people want the team to win games at this point. The ONLY thing that does is give us a less valuable draft/trade asset. Winning actually makes us worse, but people have some sort of misplaced pride or something. I hope they lose every game left, get the highest value asset they can get and be a better team next year because of it.
What you really don’t understand is how little difference there is in the lottery odds for finishing anywhere in that group. With three positions being drawn for there will be movement up and down. These losses we’re getting now likely aren’t improving any position for us.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This isn't untrue but I just can't cheer for losses anymore. No 18yr old, McDavid being the possible exception is going to fix what is wrong with this team.

I agree 100 %. Cheering for, or accepting losses just doesn't sit right with me, nor should it with anyone else. But in the present set of circumstances, there really isn't a lot of choice, other than to swallow hard (again) and deal with it. An 18 year old on his own won't fix things, but a really good 18 year old will go a long way to helping. So much for us to do this summer, and summers ahead. I just hope McDavid can hang in there, and somehow, some way, this gets fixed. Because if he suddenly bails and asks out, I just may abdicate my fanship as well. My season tickets are gone for this upcoming year. That is my personal statement to this organization to get their act together.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

This is it.
I'll give Mcdavid another year to prove it, but so far he looks pretty far from being "money". Last year's playoffs plus this year's early high expectations...Mcdavid flopped on both. That's 2 strikes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is it.
I'll give Mcdavid another year to prove it, but so far he looks pretty far from being "money". Last year's playoffs plus this year's early high expectations...Mcdavid flopped on both. That's 2 strikes.

You're serious with these comments?:huh::eek:

I keep waiting for the joke emoticom.

Oct 15, 2008
No, he hasn't.
Game 50 and on is garbage time pts
This is rubbish. Many of the opponents are fighting for their playoff lives, yet McDavid makes them look like amateurs. He is a special player. If you can't figure that out it is nobody's problem other than your own.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No bra, I'm dead serious. If you don't see some concern you have your fanboy glasses on

Wow. Just....wow. So, he's pretty much "choked" so far, and now, we give him one more year, and then....deem him a failure.

I think you and I are done talking about this.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

It was him that was cheating for offense again allowing his check to score the game winning goal. That kind of checked, that kind of inconsistency. Sure he's getting some scoring chances and his wingers are also creating a lot. But Drai is doing it at the expense of the team as he is looking to pad his stats in garbage time.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
It was him that was cheating for offense again allowing his check to score the game winning goal. That kind of checked, that kind of inconsistency. Sure he's getting some scoring chances and his wingers are also creating a lot. But Drai is doing it at the expense of the team as he is looking to pad his stats in garbage time.

He's cheating for offense because he's pressured to produce, which is difficult with the wingers he has. And padding stats in garbage time, isn't that what McGod is doing with all of his McPoints when we're already out of the playoffs? Not that I believe McDavid is trying to pad his stats but I'm just using a parallel example to show the apparent hypocrisy, where some players are revered and others are trashed for doing the same thing.

And doesn't the idea of trying to score or "pad his stats" contradict the previous assertion of him being "checked out"?

I do agree he needs to strive for greater consistency but I'm not sure if that's a personal thing or the product of the garbage he's being forced to play with.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's cheating for offense because he's pressured to produce, which is difficult with the wingers he has. And padding stats in garbage time, isn't that what McGod is doing with all of his McPoints when we're already out of the playoffs?

And doesn't the idea of trying to score or "pad his stats" contradict the previous assertion of him being "checked out"?

I do agree he needs to strive for greater consistency but I'm not sure if that's a personal thing or the product of the garbage he's being forced to play with.

Good production comes from playing well in your own end, and moving the puck out safely. That is where the scoring starts. And as Nabob has said, Drai has gotten into the nasty habit of cheating for more offence. Using subpar wingers is a weaksauce excuse. He still needs to do his own job. The others will be judged on what they do.

Playing well defensively and responsibly takes a lot more hard work and dedication than using God given offensive skills. I believe you brought the defensive deficiency part up in earlier post. That is the mental part of checking out that I'm speaking of.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He's cheating for offense because he's pressured to produce, which is difficult with the wingers he has. And padding stats in garbage time, isn't that what McGod is doing with all of his McPoints when we're already out of the playoffs? Not that I believe McDavid is trying to pad his stats but I'm just using a parallel example to show the apparent hypocrisy, where some players are revered and others are trashed for doing the same thing.

McDavid is lighting the league on fire. Drai is turning the puck over, cheating for offense and getting burned while not producing.

Not sure how you don't get that he's checked out when he clearly doesn't care about playing a two way game or making the smart play. The effort is only there when he has a chance to pad his stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad