Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 Oilers 1

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This is rubbish. Many of the opponents are fighting for their playoff lives, yet McDavid makes them look like amateurs. He is a special player. If you can't figure that out it is nobody's problem other than your own.

Let's see the same production in the first two month as the final two. You can't make the playoffs in Oct or Nov but you can take yourself out.

2 times as an Oiler Mc David has had the pressure of expectations. He's failed both times. Art Ross trophies and his blazing speed are damn sexy, but it don't mean duck compared to cups and Conn Smythe trophies

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Let's see the same production in the first two month as the final two. You can't make the playoffs in Oct or Nov but you can take yourself out.

2 times as an Oiler Mc David has had the pressure of expectations. He's failed both times. Art Ross trophies and his blazing speed are damn sexy, but it don't mean duck compared to cups and Conn Smythe trophies

The only thing that's changed in McDavid is he decided to accept his team sucks and he needs to score more.

So he's now adjusted his game to score at a freaking 70-goal+ pace (Gretzky like numbers circa 1985) for the last 28 games or so. He's becoming a goal scoring machine.

That's what great players do. They don't sit and cry and give up when they run up against a wall, they learn what they can change and adapt and then break through that wall.

McDavid's game was being limited by him being too unselfish and throwing away golden opportunities by over passing to teammates who were screwing up the scoring chances. So he's made that adjustment now.

He just turned 21 two months ago. His game is not fully formed yet, he is going to (believe it or not) get better, he is still learning.

The Oilers have no business having a player this special, they are a bunch of goof offs. This may well be the greatest player since Mario.

Reactions: RegDunlop

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::huh::help:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The only thing that's changed in McDavid is he decided to accept his team sucks and he needs to score more.

Again, let see what he does next Oct and Nov
All fine and good to score in garbage time, but the first 2 months of the season are critically important - everyone knows this.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All fine and good to score in garbage time, but the first 2 months of the season are critically important - everyone know this.

He was scoring at a damn PPG+ in Oct/November while battling two bouts of the flu and playing anyway losing 10 pounds in the process.

Lets put equipment on you when you have the flu and see how you do sweetheart, my guess is it wouldn't be pretty.

This franchise has no business having a player this special, to point the finger at him is laughable.

Reactions: RegDunlop

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
All fine and good to score in garbage time, but the first 2 months of the season are critically important - everyone knows this.

Professional troll?

Reactions: TB12

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This is it.
I'll give Mcdavid another year to prove it, but so far he looks pretty far from being "money". Last year's playoffs plus this year's early high expectations...Mcdavid flopped on both. That's 2 strikes.

Not sure is you are serious but I'm not going this far.

I was just noting that McD's last 30 games have been insane. I don't know if him going off like he is now to start the season changes anything, it certainly doesn't help Talbot stop a puck.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Garbage time" is nonsense too ... for which of LA, Columbus, Anaheim is it "garbage time" for. Those teams are fighting for their playoff lives.

McDavid has not padded his stats on the lesser teams, he only had 1 point against Vancouver and one point in the Carolina game.

He lit Columbus, LA, and Anaheim up like Christmas trees and those teams are all playing at 110% right now. He plays better against better teams, the stats show it, the majority of his points come against playoff + playoff contention teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid was on a 97 point pace through about the Oilers first 39 games and that was with a flu that probably cost him a couple of points.

He's been playing at a 100 point pace or close basically all year, he's just started to score goals at a Gretzky like clip for the last 30 games or so, that's the only difference. And it's DAMN AMAZING that he can just adjust like that and go from a decent goal scorer to the highest scoring goal scorer in the league the last 30 games.

But this idea that he didn't show up in Oct/November is bull shit. He doesn't have any thing to prove to people who think that. Go cheer for someone else like the disappearing hobbit down the highway.

If it's so easy to score goals/points down the stretch, where was Gaudreau in key games down the stretch this year? Where's MacKinnon at the last 3 games? I thought teams just gift away points down the stretch and don't care, oh wait you mean to tell me many teams are actually playing harder at this time of year fighting for their lives? Go figure.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Not sure is you are serious but I'm not going this far.

I was just noting that McD's last 30 games have been insane. I don't know if him going off like he is now to start the season changes anything, it certainly doesn't help Talbot stop a puck.

He's paid to be more than a ppg player, but that's all we got until the Oilers were out of the playoffs.
Chiarelli (and all if us) banked on more than this. We're paying him to be a money player in money time.

Don't act like I'm the only one who is concerned with the pattern.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
What you really don’t understand is how little difference there is in the lottery odds for finishing anywhere in that group. With three positions being drawn for there will be movement up and down. These losses we’re getting now likely aren’t improving any position for us.

Not about the lottery odds themselves. It’s about the worst case drafting scenario for me. Imo there is a cutoff after number 10 and we need to stay in the top 10 and every spot we drop increases our chances of that. You want to miss the playoffs and draft 14th? That’s just lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's paid to be more than a ppg player, but that's all we got until the Oilers were out of the playoffs.
Chiarelli (and all if us) banked on more than this. We're paying him to be a money player in money time.

Don't act like I'm the only one who is concerned with the pattern.

And by the way he was at close to a 100 point clip through the first 40 games of the season.

Sorry but your argument is full of shit.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Mcdavid was 40 pts in 39 games...and way down the lust in scoring leaders. We're paying him for more than this

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mcdavid was 40 pts in 39 games...and way down the lust in scoring leaders. We're paying him for more than this

Nope, he had 44 points at game 37, which is a 98 point pace.

He then had one 3 game stretch, which is the only 3 game stretch in his entire career I believe where he didn't register a point after that, which skews the numbers temporarily.

Outside of that one 3 game stretch he then resumed scoring at a torrid pace again.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid was 45 points in first 38 games. 97 point pace. Then he had 3 games without a point, which is 45 points in 40 games.

Reactions: nabob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's the best player in the world. This franchise and some of its fans don't deserve him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

:baghead:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Biggest critique of McDavid I guess is that he scored a 40 point stretch at only ~90 point pace, battling bad illness for a month during that time.

You find me players who never score that low even playing with full health. Didn't Crosby have something like 30 points in 40 games this year? Lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Posting lies to try and further your BS agenda is only making you look worse.

Yep. Aside from that one 3 game lull, which is the ONLY DAMN TIME in his career he's ever gone 3 games without a point in the NHL (where MacKinnon been his last three games?), he then followed that up with 26 points in his next 19 games.

Kid does not sulk and cry, he picks himself up and plays better if things don't go well for him at first. That's a sign of a great player.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
And by the way he was at close to a 100 point clip through the first 40 games of the season.

Not on the other guys side but after 41 games he was 14g 32a for 46, isn't that 92 points? That's a really good season, but not what he is doing now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Biggest critique of McDavid I guess is that he scored a 40 point stretch at only ~90 point pace, battling bad illness for a month during that time.

You find me players who never score that low even playing with full health. Didn't Crosby have something like 30 points in 40 games this year? Lol.

Crosby has dipped lots in his career, so has Malkin.

McDavid gets jumped on for one 3 game stretch where he doesn't get a point. Laughable.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

Only garbage around here is your post and thought process. There is no such thing as garbage time. Other teams are fighting for their playoff lives and personal goals/achievements don't mean any less than team accomplishments. You still need to strive hard and focus in order to perform.

First two months are no more important than test of the year. You could come out with your pants on fire and rattle off 20 games in a row but if you lose 20 in a row in the second half then guess what? You're back to square one. Teams need to play well all season, it doesn't matter when. Just look at Calgary. They were fighting for top spot in division up until around New Years, now they're no better than us.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not on the other guys side but after 41 games he was 14g 32a for 46, isn't that 92 points?

It's skewed because it's including the only 3 game scoring drought he's ever had in his career right at the tail end of it.

He had 44 points at game 37, which is a 98 point pace. He had one three game stretch then where he doesn't register a point for the only time in his career, that's the only reason he temporarily was flirting in the low 90s.

He then follows that stretch up with 26 points in the next 19 games.

He's been a 98-point or higher pace for 97% of the season, the idea that he wasn't around in the first half of the season is garbage pushed by liars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Spade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad