Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 Oilers 1

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Oilers only have about $3 million in usable cap next year if they qualify Strome.

What would be better keeping him or maybe getting Mike Green on a 1-year deal and dumping Strome for futures.

I dunno honestly.

Sadly they don't have many options. :(

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
This is not a professionally run organization. If it was they would hire on merit rather than past reputation. They don't bench obvious bad players like Lucic and there is no accountability. They don't replace bad players with good ones and steadily get better. They just assume their moves are right and then make bad decisions on evaluating personnel squandering assets. They keep some of the same management who made major mistakes around forever which is optically bad. The list goes on and on ..

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Oilers only have about $3 million in usable cap next year if they qualify Strome.

What would be better keeping him or maybe getting Mike Green on a 1-year deal and dumping Strome for futures.

I dunno honestly.

When you look at the cap stuff it can be a little disconcerting for sure. Talbot getting back to being Talbot is my biggest hope for next season.

Draistl and McD can't do much more, you hope the D is healthier (and better), but outside of coaching (PP/PK) changes there are not a lot of on ice moves to be made here. :(

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Maybe McLellan put Lucic out as the extra guy because he knew there would be less chance of a goal so that we could lose and get a better draft position. Brilliant move if you ask me. Losing tonight bumped us back down from 9th to 7th and made up for beating the Kings last week. I really don’t understand why people want the team to win games at this point. The ONLY thing that does is give us a less valuable draft/trade asset. Winning actually makes us worse, but people have some sort of misplaced pride or something. I hope they lose every game left, get the highest value asset they can get and be a better team next year because of it.

Oct 15, 2008
Maybe McLellan put Lucic out as the extra guy because he knew there would be less chance of a goal so that we could lose and get a better draft position. Brilliant move if you ask me. Losing tonight bumped us back down from 9th to 7th and made up for beating the Kings last week. I really don’t understand why people want the team to win games at this point. The ONLY thing that does is give us a less valuable draft/trade asset. Winning actually makes us worse, but people have some sort of misplaced pride or something. I hope they lose every game left, get the highest value asset they can get and be a better team next year because of it.

We've perfected losing the last ten years. It really hasn't helped. Six Rings and his OBC cadre could pick first overall every season and still ice a loser team.

I would rather see wins, and evidence that the team is capable of winning in the future.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Tmac with another fu to the fans . Lucic has killed so many extra man plays on the boards this season , Tmac goes to him again . he does not even skate and standi n front of net ,and can't win a board battle for his life , his reaction time is the slowest in the nhl by far , he is a slow motion camera. Katz will be demanding to have Tmac and woodputz fired maybe Chia as well.[/QU

OR

Sign them all to long deals, extend Lucic and give him the C. Who knows in Edmonton.

I actually think it's pretty comical what Todd is doing. He couldn't do sweet FA in San Jose, threw players under the bus, gets fired and we then fire our coach at the time (Todd Nelson) by a GM who was fired in Boston for a complete gong-show and now he is doing the same BS here that Bruin fans warned us about. Todd Nelson actually had the team playing well and the players seemed to like him. Public executions should be still legal. Don't know wo I would execute first, Todd or Pete.

I think we have the new HEE-HAW show going on (for anyone who is old enough)

Reactions: VainGretzky

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I want to go 1-3 to finish the season. Just beat Calgary to put the nail in the coffin for their season. It would have been so much sweeter if that loss was the one that eliminated them from the playoffs.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Once again the coaching staff had six left-handed shots out in the final minute. Can't set-up for a one-timer on the left side. Can't have a shooter come down the right boards on his strong side and fire at the net. Absolute brilliance.

It never stops. How many times have Oiler fans watched this year that we were up goals in the 3rd and lost? Or try to score in last min with Lucic on ice. I fell asleep in 3rd. Did they have put Puju on ice in last minute? Right shot and all

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
As if showing balls against a team like VAN is going to prove anything...
This season is done. .. keep these loses coming... theyll help us get Chia/Tmac/Lucic out the door quicker

Come to think of it Todd is a genius then. He is trying for losses. Is this the new Stephen Hawkins?

Todd is so smart S-M-R-T. Todd is so smart S-M-R-T

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Eakins, creation of the TO hype machine. MacT probably heard about him all the time during his weekend class EMBA course. Hires him on the spot after Eakins gets a read and tells MacT everything he wants to hear.

McLellan, hype name from SJ. Just ignore how he wasted the primes of a boat load of elite players by getting out-coached every playoffs, and burned bridges in his dressing room. All that matters are the regular season W-L stats and how everyone is saying he's a hot commodity.

Chia, cup winner, got to put winner on his resume from Hockey Canada too, participating in the difficult task of building teams using all the best Canadian players and coaches. Ignore how he traded away 3 top tier elite talents already before they really hit their stride, and put the Bruins in cap hell with overpays and NMC's. He did all that crap again here already.

I know people hate the idea of firing more people, because we've done it so much. But, when you hire like this only based on hype and familiarity, I'm sorry, you end up with people that need to be fired, unless you want to waste the best years of the best players you have (unless Chia trades them, then they can stop wasting their time somewhere else).

Hope ya don't mind if I put more gas on your fire and make ya more mad. I have 2 hockey stories for ya.

1.) Friend of mine played pro from 1990-2000. He had a few camps but never got the call. He played for the Moncton Hawks (AHL) in the early 90's and guess who else was on the team? Yep, no other then Dallas Eakins, as well as Claude Julien. He said after all games Eakins was nowhere to be found. He was always under the coaches desk giving mouth -to -ass. All the players hated him. Bag-licker.
I did my best to ruin his coaching career with the Oilers. I was at a game in Boston in 2014 close to the Oilers bench. The Bruins were killing us in the 3rd and I had a few too many pops. Duringa stoppage in play, everything went quite. I yelled everything I could think off at Eakins in a short time. " Comb your hair ya homo, you can't coach and you are getting fired." He shot me the dirtiest look. The Bruin fans were high-fiving me. Shortly after, Eakins got fired. I like to think I had something to do with that . You are welcome OILERNATION.

2.) Another friend of mine from this area played for SJ Sharks at the end of his career after winning 2 cups with Jersey. Basically he said Todd was a terrible coach. If there were problems, he would deflect them away from himself onto the captain's. Case in point? Joe Thornton. He relied on his vets too much. If your team is up 3-0 in playoffs and you lose, that is a coaching problem.

I won't even start on Chiarelli. I would run outta ink

Reactions: PulYou

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This is not a professionally run organization. If it was they would hire on merit rather than past reputation. They don't bench obvious bad players like Lucic and there is no accountability. They don't replace bad players with good ones and steadily get better. They just assume their moves are right and then make bad decisions on evaluating personnel squandering assets. They keep some of the same management who made major mistakes around forever which is optically bad. The list goes on and on ..

And then repeats. FRUSTRATING!

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I actually thought the Strome Lucic Jesse P line was one of the best lines tonight. Then numbnuts Todd pulls Jesse off in the third to give MCD more ice but leaves Lucic on. Then closes off with the classic Tmac Tank Move giving Lucic prime minutes in a clutch situation. Fire this stupid f*** into the sun.

Reactions: PulYou

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Another Canuck fan coming in peace. I'm 61, so I had to endure the Gretzky era of the Oilers being the schoolyard bullies and taking the Canuck's lunch. I enjoyed the first decade of Edmonton's struggles but it's long over now.
One problem Oiler fans have right now is last year. The Oilers overachieved last year. Every player seemed to stay healthy and have a career year. Talbot alone was unbelievable. So this years expectations were very high.
It's like when the Canucks made the playoffs in 2015. Nice to happen but actually made the next couple of years worse because of unrealistic expectations.
That being said, if it wasn't for Lucic, I'd cheer hard for the Oilers. McDavid is the 2nd best player in the league and closing in fast. I love watching him. And being from Kelowna, I've watched Draisaitl closely. I keep expecting him to break out, but I have to admit, last night there were a number of shifts I confused #29 with #27. And that's bad, because Lucic looked terrible. I'm so glad he's not on the Canucks.
I think I'm agreeing with many who say McLellan just seems to toss guys over the boards. The 6-5 at the end with Lucic and all lefthanded shots was shocking.
Somehow, the Oilers need to get a stud defenseman and maybe a reliable backup goalie to give Talbot some rest.
Anyway, just saying next year will be better. Somewhere in between this year and last. You guys have McDavid. Even on a bad day, that's really good!

Reactions: RegDunlop

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
We've perfected losing the last ten years. It really hasn't helped. Six Rings and his OBC cadre could pick first overall every season and still ice a loser team.

I would rather see wins, and evidence that the team is capable of winning in the future.

I get that but I just don’t think 4 wins at the end of the season is gonna show that. It’s not gonna make this a good season or even an okay one. We really really need a top D, and the only way we get one is to draft one imo.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I'd like to see wins as well, but in October, November, December before we ever get to the new year. Winning now has a weird feeling to it, as the pressure is far different for teams that are out of it, and the shuffling of players can skewer a perception. All a bunch of wins now do, is perhaps mask the larger issues that will then be scuffled over in the off season, with the hope that things will be better. The Leafs with Sundin as their centrepiece used to be masters of this. Get knocked out of the race early, then run off a bunch of wins in garbage tiem, and screw themselves out of a higher pick. Management got sucked in year after year by this process and basically left most of the mess together. That is the feeling I get about this year for us.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Another Canuck fan coming in peace. I'm 61, so I had to endure the Gretzky era of the Oilers being the schoolyard bullies and taking the Canuck's lunch. I enjoyed the first decade of Edmonton's struggles but it's long over now.
One problem Oiler fans have right now is last year. The Oilers overachieved last year. Every player seemed to stay healthy and have a career year. Talbot alone was unbelievable. So this years expectations were very high.
It's like when the Canucks made the playoffs in 2015. Nice to happen but actually made the next couple of years worse because of unrealistic expectations.
That being said, if it wasn't for Lucic, I'd cheer hard for the Oilers. McDavid is the 2nd best player in the league and closing in fast. I love watching him. And being from Kelowna, I've watched Draisaitl closely. I keep expecting him to break out, but I have to admit, last night there were a number of shifts I confused #29 with #27. And that's bad, because Lucic looked terrible. I'm so glad he's not on the Canucks.
I think I'm agreeing with many who say McLellan just seems to toss guys over the boards. The 6-5 at the end with Lucic and all lefthanded shots was shocking.
Somehow, the Oilers need to get a stud defenseman and maybe a reliable backup goalie to give Talbot some rest.
Anyway, just saying next year will be better. Somewhere in between this year and last. You guys have McDavid. Even on a bad day, that's really good!

Good post, and one of the few from an oppostion fan that I've ever thought was actually sincere and not trolling. I agree with everything you've said. I think you may be ready to come over to the dark side and be a Coiler fan!

Reactions: CrashBartley

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I'd like to see wins as well, but in October, November, December before we ever get to the new year. Winning now has a weird feeling to it, as the pressure is far different for teams that are out of it, and the shuffling of players can skewer a perception. All a bunch of wins now do, is perhaps mask the larger issues that will then be scuffled over in the off season, with the hope that things will be better. The Leafs with Sundin as their centrepiece used to be masters of this. Get knocked out of the race early, then run off a bunch of wins in garbage tiem, and screw themselves out of a higher pick. Management got sucked in year after year by this process and basically left most of the mess together. That is the feeling I get about this year for us.

Thankfully Todd is on it. With his tiny coaching toolbox we don't have to worry about putting together a bunch of wins and having the mirage of a team "starting to gel at the end of the sewason" to interfere with reality

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I want to go 1-3 to finish the season. Just beat Calgary to put the nail in the coffin for their season. It would have been so much sweeter if that loss was the one that eliminated them from the playoffs.

No need for any more nails in that Flamer coffin. The body has been dead and decaying for some time now. All that's left are some bones for the vultures to pick at. Nothing to see there. Always fun to beat the Flamers though, as long as it doesn't screw up our lottery chances any.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
When you look at the cap stuff it can be a little disconcerting for sure. Talbot getting back to being Talbot is my biggest hope for next season.

Draistl and McD can't do much more, you hope the D is healthier (and better), but outside of coaching (PP/PK) changes there are not a lot of on ice moves to be made here. :(

Mcd and Drai can't do more, but they can do it earlier. Piling up points in garbage time doesn't help the team make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad