Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 Oilers 1

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
the people who hate players based on who they're traded for
Who are those people? Do they live in your fantasies? Cause everyone posting in this thread has already clearly stated that they have no particular dislike for Strome.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I wouldn't consider myself a hater by any definition, but what exactly has Jordan done to silence anyone? He's put up a 50-60 point season while being part of a defensively flawed lottery bound team. He literally does that every year. He's a quality secondary scoring forward who gets paid like a primary one.
Well for one, he has demonstrated that your oft repeated notion that 'Eberle was never going to be traded as anything other than a cap dump and therefore needed to be moved a soon as possible regardless. No waiting another year because then he'll be harder to move' was utterly false. Guarantee if the Islanders put him on the block they'd get more than a season of Ryan Strome for him.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
You try to explain it to people. Using simple words and everything, and still they don't get it. Seems hopeless.
Exactly , and I have been vocal about re-signing Strome , because there seems to be a pattern to former junior stars #1 they come into the league and are highend players off the bat #2 they come into the league and are just average players that contribute modestly the for 4/5 years than Start realising they dominated a lot of the players around them in junior and start playing with a lot more confidence and start breaking out See Couturier Bailey Marchand so forth #3 they just never become anything toil in the minors and than off to europe or KHL after chances dry up. If Strome is going to break out it will his next 1-2 seasons and I would probably bet barring injuries these will be his most productive seasons.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I wouldn't consider myself a hater by any definition, but what exactly has Jordan done to silence anyone? He's put up a 50-60 point season while being part of a defensively flawed lottery bound team. He literally does that every year. He's a quality secondary scoring forward who gets paid like a primary one.

I think having Eberle on our team would have given us some offensive flexibility that we are lacking.

His production is also top 20 in his position, so it's a hard argument to say he's a secondary scorer.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well for one, he has demonstrated that your oft repeated notion that 'Eberle was never going to be traded as anything other than a cap dump and therefore needed to be moved a soon as possible regardless. No waiting another year because then he'll be harder to move' was utterly false. Guarantee if the Islanders put him on the block they'd get more than a season of Ryan Strome for him.
How exactly has that been debunked? He hasn't done anything particularly groundbreaking there. And you're simply assuming he would've done the same here and assumed he was completely un-phased by the pressures from the fan-base that he was very open about after the trade occurred. My question was how he's silenced haters and you have nothing to offer. Jordan Eberle is what he is--a second line scorer who made too much money for the role he plays on this team--and the market for those types of players isn't as strong as you seem to think it is. Especially for teams who are facing future cap constraints, thus lacking significant trade leverage.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think having Eberle on our team would have given us some offensive flexibility that we are lacking.

His production is also top 20 in his position, so it's a hard argument to say he's a secondary scorer.
Of course he'd offer depth. The issue was always his salary--which he earned after one insane season unlikely to be duplicated. The Oilers paid him like he was going to be something more.

As for his role, yes, he most definitely is a secondary scorer regardless of where he ranks in terms of his position. He is an incredibly easy opponent to play against. Any team that's icing him for first line minutes on a night-to-night basis without a truly elite two-way center is likely not a very good hockey team. For years we saw that.

Reactions: RegDunlop

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not about the lottery odds themselves. It’s about the worst case drafting scenario for me. Imo there is a cutoff after number 10 and we need to stay in the top 10 and every spot we drop increases our chances of that. You want to miss the playoffs and draft 14th? That’s just lol.
We drafted Connor McDavid, the highest touted prospect since Sidney Crosby and arguably Eric Lindros or Mario Lemieux and it didn’t turn this team into an instant winner. 18 year olds aren’t going to be the saviour of this franchise. They’re important because you need to keep pumping talent into your system, don’t trade those picks, but worrying about where exactly you finish is ridiculous. Like I said, you can’t control where you draft because there are three lottery drawings. Secondly, as fans of a team that has drafted so close to the top for so long and still been disappointed with how are guys have turned out, we should know draft rankings aren’t the be all end all. I’d gladly go back to some of our draft years and pass on the higher ranked players we took for guys that slipped down and are now clearly better.

To answer your question, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me if we missed the playoffs and drafted fourteenth because we either win the lottery and pick high no matter where we finish. (We get three chances with odds that aren’t much statistically different.) Or, we draft where we finish and end up taking a player who won’t be helping the team anytime soon anyway.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

See this is it really. The Oilers were already hurting for scoring wingers so we traded the only ones we have for Strome and a 3rd round pick.

This is why Chiarelli continues to get mocked. His trades rarely serve a purpose.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I've been positive towards strome in comments for the last couple months. Where is this nonsense coming from that I, or others hate him.

Looks like some people are bored here and that's about it.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Who are those people? Do they live in your fantasies? Cause everyone posting in this thread has already clearly stated that they have no particular dislike for Strome.

Well geez, if they're not in this thread, they must not exist!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I feel like Drai is always going to be underappreciated with McDavid on the team.

It's too bad because we are so lucky to have him.
Yeah I don't understand. Of all the players to criticize you're going to pick our second leading scorer?

Most of the forward corps is a black hole and he's one of the few that doesn't need McDavid to produce.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yeah I don't understand. Of all the players to criticize you're going to pick our second leading scorer?

Most of the forward corps is a black hole and he's one of the few that doesn't need McDavid to produce.

Drai is one of those guys that will explode one or two seasons and hit 100 points.

Not every year, maybe not even 3 years.

But 1 or 2 years, he'll be one of the best 3 guys in the league.

I guess I'm a Drai fanboy as well as an Eberle fanboy haha.

We'll prolly trade Drai for another Strome.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai is one of those guys that will explode one or two seasons and hit 100 points.

Not every year, maybe not even 3 years.

But 1 or 2 years, he'll be one of the best 3 guys in the league.

I guess I'm a Drai fanboy as well as an Eberle fanboy haha.

We'll prolly trade Drai for another Strome.

I think so too, but he needs a talented line mate, maybe even two to get that type of production.

Without McDavid he's more of a 60 point player, you just can't play him with scrubs and expect him to be a star.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Strome is so vanilla its almost impossible to hate him.
It may be that he has some kind of learned conditioning like you say, but I think even more fundamentally, he just doesn't have big league finish. That slapshot he rang off the crossbar last night? Why even walk into it with that much velocity and risk the shot getting up on you? Why not make a safer shot? Its a dumb choice on his part imo. I see it a lot with him.

Better to float one into the crest. Of all the things to criticize, you choose a play where he steals the puck in the oppositions zone and fires a rocket off the bar.

This is what I mean when I say people looks for reasons to criticize him based off of who he was traded for.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Strome is so vanilla its almost impossible to hate him.
It may be that he has some kind of learned conditioning like you say, but I think even more fundamentally, he just doesn't have big league finish. That slapshot he rang off the crossbar last night? Why even walk into it with that much velocity and risk the shot getting up on you? Why not make a safer shot? Its a dumb choice on his part imo. I see it a lot with him.

And yet, if that shot goes in, everyone is saying, "why doesn't he lean in and shoot it that way more often?" He had an earlier goal this year that was an absolute snipe of a snapshot, and everyone was impressed that he had that in his arsenal. I still think there is a player there, if he is used properly and put with the proper people. Mind you, I could say that about a lot of our guys.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Drai's biggest problem right now is inconsistency. He's still in the very early stages of his complete NHL development,but it will come, and he will be a dominant and productive force for a long time. Sometimes it seems like he is sleep walking out there, out for a leisurely skate. I remember Messier going through much the same thing early in his career, and when compared to the Great One, he really didn't look that great a lot of nights. But I think Gretz helped in speeding his development up, with the Moose getting to see him up front and personal every night and practice, and how hard and consistantly he worked each and every shift. I think Drai will pick that up from McDavid and the two of them will feed off of each other on many nights.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Again, let see what he does next Oct and Nov
All fine and good to score in garbage time, but the first 2 months of the season are critically important - everyone knows this.

Wow! Remenda here - WOW!

You know, even if your post had any semblance of reality to it - which it doesn't - think about this;
You say he is scoring these points is so called garbage time now. But he was also doing this same thing last year, having an incredible ending to the regular season, WHILE LEADING HIS TEAM INTO THE PLAYOFFS! So to me, that proves that he is simply an incredible player that jacks it up the stiffer the competition gets.

And, as other posters have said, I wonder if LA or other teams fighting for a playoff spot think it's garbage time. What a stupid comment.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just for the record, McDavid had 31 points in 26 games at November's end which is a 98 point pace.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Another Canuck fan coming in peace. I'm 61, so I had to endure the Gretzky era of the Oilers being the schoolyard bullies and taking the Canuck's lunch. I enjoyed the first decade of Edmonton's struggles but it's long over now.
One problem Oiler fans have right now is last year. The Oilers overachieved last year. Every player seemed to stay healthy and have a career year. Talbot alone was unbelievable. So this years expectations were very high.
It's like when the Canucks made the playoffs in 2015. Nice to happen but actually made the next couple of years worse because of unrealistic expectations.
That being said, if it wasn't for Lucic, I'd cheer hard for the Oilers. McDavid is the 2nd best player in the league and closing in fast. I love watching him. And being from Kelowna, I've watched Draisaitl closely. I keep expecting him to break out, but I have to admit, last night there were a number of shifts I confused #29 with #27. And that's bad, because Lucic looked terrible. I'm so glad he's not on the Canucks.
I think I'm agreeing with many who say McLellan just seems to toss guys over the boards. The 6-5 at the end with Lucic and all lefthanded shots was shocking.
Somehow, the Oilers need to get a stud defenseman and maybe a reliable backup goalie to give Talbot some rest.
Anyway, just saying next year will be better. Somewhere in between this year and last. You guys have McDavid. Even on a bad day, that's really good!
Second best?? Sorry but Mcdavid creates twicer as much as Crosby and has already passsed him as the best in the game. With all due respect Crosby has not been the best many years he has been in the nhl but the Canadian Media gives him that title every year despite other players being better many years. Crosby has only won two art ross awards in his whole career. There is no argument where Mcdavid is not the best plsyer in the league right now.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Just for the record, McDavid had 31 points in 26 games at November's end which is a 98 point pace.

In the most crucial 8 game stretch of the season between Dec 27 and Jan 9 Mcdavid had 1 goal and 4 assists. Oilers went 1-7.
The season was basically over at that point.

Great players are not necessarily pressure players. Even Gordie Howe had some early playoff disappointment.
I'm hoping Connor will come around, but so far he's been a letdown for me in money time

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
But he was also doing this same thing last year, having an incredible ending to the regular season, WHILE LEADING HIS TEAM INTO THE PLAYOFFS!

Since Mcdavid is pretty much having the same kind of season this year, perhaps it was another player who was leading the Oilers into the playoffs. I think Cam Talbot was the Oilers MVP last year, and the direct relationship between his personal failure and the Oilers failing as a team supports this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->