Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 Oilers 1

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I enjoy watching wins. I don't enjoy watching crap performances. I saw enough crap performances for a lifetime over the past 12 years. After endless high draft picks who haven't made us a competitive team, forgive me if I don't give a flying **** who we draft this year.

We have Connor ****ing McDavid and we're a lottery team again. As if I'm supposed to get excited about some D prospect who is years away from contributing.

That's fine. I've given up caring a long while ago. Yes I'd like to get a top tier D prospect in this draft, I think it's important that they do.
The season is lost and has been lost for a while so the lottery is really all I have to care about at this point until the offseason. It beats being miserable about this season.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Went to this game, all I can say is Lucic looks so much worse live. And Todd kept throwing him out there over and over and over. He was even on the ice as the extra man. Bobbled the puck all night, constantly passed to players on the other team.... Get rid of that f***ing player. I don’t care what it costs, he should be DONE.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
McDavid/Draisatl/RNH/Khaira/Letestu

Didn't need Strome and we certainly didn't need to give up our best winger for him. He had a tiny hot spurt but other than that has been completely nothing since Christmas.

Yeah, no kidding. Did anyone get anything positive from that game? They looked bad against a really bad Canucks team.
honestly why do you care so much?
the Oilers don't

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's fine. I've given up caring a long while ago. Yes I'd like to get a top tier D prospect in this draft, I think it's important that they do.
The season is lost and has been lost for a while so the lottery is really all I have to care about at this point until the offseason. It beats being miserable about this season.
f*** the lottery.

This team needs to start winning on its own merits, not because they get lucky. They need to make smart, calculated moves that will set us up for the future instead of throwing money around to worthless players on lengthy contracts and trading good players for mediocre ones.

Reactions: dreamcomehere

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I used to watch the Oilers religiously. Now I can only stomach 1 period of Oilers hockey max and I'm growing more and more apathetic as time goes on. The only reason I have even tried to watch is for McPoints but besides that there really isn't any reason to be watching this team considering who is at the helm and behind the bench.

The rise of the PVR was well timed for the Oilers decade+ of darkness.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
McDavid/Draisatl/RNH/Khaira/Letestu

Didn't need Strome and we certainly didn't need to give up our best winger for him. He had a tiny hot spurt but other than that has been completely nothing since Christmas.

Khaira wasn't even on the roster this past offseason, the first 3 are top 6 players and Letestu was a 4th liner. DD was their 3rd line center last season and he was gone so they needed one. Pretty simple.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
**** the lottery.

This team needs to start winning on its own merits, not because they get lucky. They need to make smart, calculated moves that will set us up for the future instead of throwing money around to worthless players on lengthy contracts and trading good players for mediocre ones.

200w.webp

Reactions: McDrai

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
honestly why do you care so much?
the Oilers don't
Because last year was a lot of fun. It was nice to think of the next Oilers game without a sense of dread. We had the best player on the planet on an affordable deal and even had some cap space to upgrade the roster.

This year I've started tuning out games and even skipping them altogether. McDavid playing on an even higher level than last year can't win this team games. They're just that bad.

Without a substantial upgrade to either the roster, front office, or both, I won't even bother going to a single game and might even just tune them out completely.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
**** the lottery.

No shit to the last paragraph but I also care about where they end up in the lottery. It will dictate what moves will follow and at the very least, affect their future in some way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There’s no strategy at all in his coaching. He just throws his players on the ice and expects them to out play the other team.

There's no strategy in anything at any level of this organization except Katz being able to outsmart city council to pay for a new arena. Everyone else? Hasn't any clue what they're doing.

Reactions: harpoon

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
We're talking about a 3rd liner, 3rd liners generally don't have a great scoring touch. Are you so blinded by hate that you can't see the good things he does? Get it out of your head that he's supposed to match Eberle's point totals in order to be an effective hockey player, he plays a different role.
Bad trade no matter how you slice it Eberle alone has set up 30 goals 3 less than Strome total point out put let alone the 25 goals he has, and Barzal took off this season with Eberle , he is also only one of 2 plus forwards on the Islanders and he is also has more than double the GWG than any other Islander this year, he is a huge part of Barzal winning the calder this season has 46 even strength points, top 30 producer of anyone since he joined the League , led this pathetic team in scoring 3 times since he was drafted one being his rookie year, was our best producing winger by far after Hall where a lot in here were happy he was moved as well , and this fan base wonders why we keep sucking. Eberle is a very good player sick of people dogging him because of a down season. Strome does not hold his jockstrap. Anyone ever resembling skill in this city has been run out of town by fans or media.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No **** to the last paragraph but I also care about where they end up in the lottery. It will dictate what moves will follow.
They won the McDavid lottery and apart from one year this team isn't any better than at that point.

Khaira wasn't even on the roster this past offseason, the first 3 are top 6 players and Letestu was a 4th liner. DD was their 3rd line center last season and he was gone so they needed one. Pretty simple.
DD cost 1 million this year (and only this year) and has almost as many points as Strome.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At no point could I even watch 2mins in a row of this game. Just completely awful. Was just watching anything else on the tube which was better than this game.

What happens if the NHL puts on a game and neither fan base gives a rats ass about it. Did it really occur?

Tree falls in the forest thing.

Really theres no point even televising these nothing games. How many toilet bowls can there be written up in the schedule?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
DD cost 1 million this year (and only this year) and has almost as many points as Strome.

Strome is a better player than DD IMO and he's a lot younger so there's a future with him. You don't like him because of who was traded for him so you're entitled to your opinion. I'm fine with him as 3rd line center going into next season, one less hole that needs to be filled, and you want to dump him so we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I almost respect how good Lucic is at being terrible, lol. 1 goal in 42 games while taking home $8 million dollars this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Strome is a better player than DD IMO and he's a lot younger so there's a future with him. You don't like him because of who was traded for him so you're entitled to your opinion. I'm fine with him as 3rd line center going into next season, one less hole that needs to be filled, and you want to dump him so we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
I don't like Strome because I don't see much of a player here. The fact that we gave up Eberle for him only adds to that.

Again, this wasn't a hole that needed to be filled. We need wingers and right now we don't have a single one that can score. We need a defensive upgrade. We need an upgrade in goal too. Why did we need Ryan Strome?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't like Strome because I don't see much of a player here. The fact that we gave up Eberle for him only adds to that.

Again, this wasn't a hole that needed to be filled. We need wingers and right now we don't have a single one that can score. We need a defensive upgrade. We need an upgrade in goal too. Why did we need Ryan Strome?

Because, for the millionth time, we needed a 3rd line center. I don't like the price they paid for him either but he does fill a need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad