Post-Game Talk: Can't win them all, Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
When the Flames scored the winning goal I was thinking about how many goals we've seen over the last 3 years where Schiefele comes into the screen a second after the opposition scores.

He's been way better overall but Bowness will have to fix this. The top line has been awful in their own zone again this year.

I really want to see Fjallby on the top line. I honestly think he has offense in his game and he could be the guy on that line that is the defensive conscience.

Appleton is trying but he just doesn't fit there. Why not try

Perfetti Schiefele Fjallby
Connor Dubois Wheeler
I agree about Schiefele and also agree about shaking up the first line (Ehlers can't return fast enough.) Appleton is fast but just a little too fast for his brain to get his stick doing something with the puck. And Fjallby can fly but, IMO, he's worse with the puck than Appleton. I'd be up for trying it though as Appleton isn't working too well. Now, Wheeler is another story. I realize he's a notorious slow-starter but, again IMO, he has lost his ability to take a pass and has become a giveaway machine.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hopefully they can figure out something that can resolve some of the neutral zone issues. And while I wouldn't go as far as saying the Jets position in the standings is smoke and mirrors yet, I still think there's plenty of questions about whether the way they win is sustainable enough to make the playoffs. Having some sustained special teams success with proper entry strategy beyond throwing the puck around the boards would go a long way in convincing me.

Edit: Maybe Ehlers returning will be the cure-all :dunno:

Agreed, I hope that our nz attack strategy evolves as the team gets more familiar with the schemes. We have seen a significant improvement in zone exits from the chip up the walls we saw the first number of games. My guess is the coaching is focusing on drilling in being safe with puck management first before working the more complex stuff onto it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not impressed with Brad Lauer at all running the PP so far, it's anemic.

Not a terrible performance by the Jets, could tell Flames were desperate for the win though.

He went right back to the PP setup that wasn't successful last year. How much is it catering to the teams vets. It seems all the vets get on pp1 even though the fit isn't great. I think if it's that they need to have the balls to take Scheifele off the hb and put Cole in his spot. That one switch likely makes a big difference.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
3 day layoff. Flames wanted it more.
Power failure Play
Can't win 'em all
Ended Flames winless streak
On to Seattle
End Krakken winning streak
GJG

Reactions: sipowicz and Heldig

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Didn’t get to see the game. I specifically look for your posts to sum up the Jet’s play. Always insightful and informative. Thank you so much!
Yeah, same problem here. Went to Boston Pizza with a group of friends and the guys naturally grab the best seats to see the game. I followed some of it -- and turned to see all the goals and worst breakaways -- but missed out on the overall flow and evaluation of how certain players were doing. Catching up on here is a good way to get the details, but of course it depends on who you read/listen to and their usual hates or crushes on individual players.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I agree about Schiefele and also agree about shaking up the first line (Ehlers can't return fast enough.) Appleton is fast but just a little too fast for his brain to get his stick doing something with the puck. And Fjallby can fly but, IMO, he's worse with the puck than Appleton. I'd be up for trying it though as Appleton isn't working too well. Now, Wheeler is another story. I realize he's a notorious slow-starter but, again IMO, he has lost his ability to take a pass and has become a giveaway machine.
I disagree about AJF. I've seen him do lots of sneakily skilled things with the puck like flipping it to himself, and he's gotten some really good shots off including one last night that Markstrom barely fought off with his glove.

Is he going to ever be a top scorer? Highly unlikely but I think he could contribute offensively with some higher skilled players .

At this point it's worth a shot because Appleton is like a lite version of copp and Copp in my mind never could really hang in the top 6.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
When the Flames scored the winning goal I was thinking about how many goals we've seen over the last 3 years where Schiefele comes into the screen a second after the opposition scores.

He's been way better overall but Bowness will have to fix this. The top line has been awful in their own zone again this year.

I really want to see Fjallby on the top line. I honestly think he has offense in his game and he could be the guy on that line that is the defensive conscience.

Appleton is trying but he just doesn't fit there. Why not try

Perfetti Schiefele Fjallby
Connor Dubois Wheeler
Appleton's curl on the wall was a big reason for the 2nd Jets goal. He's starting to make more plays the last couple of games.

I don't see AJF as a top 6 option at all. He's been great at just exploding from the red line to win pucks, but once he has it, there's not an attack instinct. But he's on the same page as Gustafsson I'd probably like to see him go back to bring more 4th line energy. I'd actually like to see Harkins get the promotion. He busts his ass out there.

Maybe something like

Connor-Dubois-Perfetti. I want Perfetti playing with Dubois, but maybe with a different look, more speed on the wing). Getting Connor hot goes a long way, and I think Duby is playing with a fire in his belly this year.

Harkins-Scheifele-Appleton Apples and Harkins I think can feed off each other, both will backcheck hard, against Scheifele's will to. Different look, kind of a demotion for Scheifele, but maybe he needs a message. Wheeler on Scheif's wing has gone absolutely nowhere this year, so it avoids that at least.

Maenalanen-Lowry-Wheeler I think Wheeler's defensive effort is ok with short shifts. The other two have a lot of strong points to their game, Wheeler just has to play to them. Not sure this is the ideal fit for gramps, but's it's mixing things up.

AJF-Gustafsson-Gagner. Energy from AJF and Gus, smarts from Gagner.

And play all 4 lines.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Appleton's curl and drag was a big reason for the 2nd Jets goal. He's starting to make more plays the last game.

I don't see AJF as a top 6 option at all. He's been great at just exploding from the red line to win pucks, but once he has it, there's not an attack instinct. But he's on the same page as Gustafsson I'd probably like to see him go back to bring more 4th line energy. I'd actually like to see Harkins get the promotion. He busts his ass out there.

Maybe something like

Connor-Dubois-Perfetti. I want Perfetti playing with Dubois, but maybe with a different look, more speed on the wing). Getting Connor hot goes a long way, and I think Duby is playing with a fire in his belly this year.

Harkins-Scheifele-Appleton Apples and Harkins I think can feed off each other, both will backcheck hard, against Scheifele's will to. Different look, kind of a demotion for Scheifele, but maybe he needs a message. Wheeler on Scheif's wing has gone absolutely nowhere this year, so it avoids that at least.

Maenalanen-Lowry-Wheeler I think Wheeler's defensive effort is ok with short shifts. The other two have a lot of strong points to their game, Wheeler just has to play to them. Not sure this is the ideal fit for gramps, but's it's mixing things up.

AJF-Gustafsson-Gagner. Energy from AJF and Gus, smarts from Gagner.

And play all 4 lines.
I hate that second line. Harkins works hard but the guy has zero wall strength abs just cannot process the game fast enough offensively at this level. You're basically castrating our best goal scorer with those 2 wingers.

I'm not going to become annoying with what I'm seeing from Fjallby but I'll say one last time I think the guy had better offensive instincts than anyone else in our bottom 6 outside of Gagner.

I think the only problem with Gagner is he just doesn't have the wheels anymore to be an effective top 6 guy which is ok. He's a great bottom 6 guy and is providing excellent value.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I hate that second line. Harkins works hard but the guy has zero wall strength abs just cannot process the game fast enough offensively at this level. You're basically castrating our best goal scorer with those 2 wingers.

I'm not going to become annoying with what I'm seeing from Fjallby but I'll say one last time I think the guy had better offensive instincts than anyone else in our bottom 6 outside of Gagner.

I think the only problem with Gagner is he just doesn't have the wheels anymore to be an effective top 6 guy which is ok. He's a great bottom 6 guy and is providing excellent value.
Bottom line Jet miss Ehlers super big time and Baron to extent to even out the third line.

Jets still a top 6 short even with Ehlers back! Wheeler sure as hell isn't even close to top 6 anymore!

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Wow - Bieksa had it right on. Flames were on a losing streak unacceptable to the powers that be and needed a game called to "playoff standards". Reffs went a little too far in obliging, with a poorly called and one-sided game which could have gotten out of control (but thankfully didn`t). But the ongoing emphasis to "finishing your checks", with the clutch and grab and continual interference which the Flames resorted to in the 3rd period in particular, in locking the game down, negated any possibility of a Jets comeback.

Having said that, the Jet`s were never going to win this game given the overall sub-standard play of the 2 top lines.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

We can disagree on this point. I think Harkins has shown some sneaky offensive skills, getting behind the defense with speed, but in a position where he can attack the net. When I have seen Appleton and Harkins together on the ice, I've seen some smart plays made. I agree with your assessment of his board play. I also think Scheifele may need a bit of a wakeup. If he is with two guys who shouldn't be in the top 6 perhaps he raises his game to make them better players, that's what a leader would do. The fact we're even talking about two guys who have passed through waivers this year as top 6 options says that maybe we're scraping the bone a bit. Could use a Danish.

But I also don't want to sound the fire alarm after one bad game from this team, that's too reactionary. The Dallas game was a complete game. On the road without matchup advantage, the games haven't been as clean this year. Finding a way to win instead of lose is the key to any successful team, so let's home for a bounce back.

Reactions: Jet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bottom line Jet miss Ehlers super big time and Baron to extent to even out the third line.

Jets still a top 6 short even with Ehlers back! Wheeler sure as hell isn't even close to top 6 anymore!
What's strange about this team is Wheeler is tied with Scheifele at 8 ES pts for the team lead. The you got Lowry tied with Perfetti in scoring, Appleton is tied with him in ES points, and you don't what to think. PP points leaders: Dubois, 5, Morrissey, 4, Connor 3 (all assists), Scheifele, Perfetti, and Gagner, 2. Got a few players tracking for less than 15 points this season after 13 games. And yet the Jets are still in 1st in the Central.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I disagree about AJF. I've seen him do lots of sneakily skilled things with the puck like flipping it to himself, and he's gotten some really good shots off including one last night that Markstrom barely fought off with his glove.

Is he going to ever be a top scorer? Highly unlikely but I think he could contribute offensively with some higher skilled players .

At this point it's worth a shot because Appleton is like a lite version of copp and Copp in my mind never could really hang in the top 6.

That kind of "sneakily skilled play" is something I'd expect any NHL player to be able to make. There was one moment in the 2nd where it was a great play from Scheifele to Connor to AJF open at the other side and he flubbed the shot. Thats the kind of thing that doesn't get you elevated to the top line.

Just because Appleton isn't working well there doesn't mean AJF is worth a shot.

Reactions: surixon

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Hopefully they can figure out something that can resolve some of the neutral zone issues. And while I wouldn't go as far as saying the Jets position in the standings is smoke and mirrors yet, I still think there's plenty of questions about whether the way they win is sustainable enough to make the playoffs. Having some sustained special teams success with proper entry strategy beyond throwing the puck around the boards would go a long way in convincing me.

Edit: Maybe Ehlers returning will be the cure-all :dunno:
I find it just slightly disconcerting to hear the continued emphasis by Arneil to the effect that "we have to make them turn" - thereby justifying the huge emphasis to dump and chase that goes on.
This is of course a valid tactic, appropriate in certain unique game situations, but..... needs balance.

Perhaps because of this emphasis, there has been little evidence of any planned zone entryies, on 5v5 but especially on the PP, as you note. Needs some attention quickly.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pk Is part of the special teams and the pk has been very good. PP? Seems like the puck movement is way 2 slow and that's not coaching that's the players

Problem right now is If 55 and Dubois aren't scoring nobody in the top 6 Is

Connor and Scheif are shooters... they need a passer on that line.

Dubois ain't a shooter either, I'm not sure what he is but he's looking like a guy who maybe tops out at 60 65 points

Pionk and Schmidt are the same. Offensive d men who are piss poor defensively. Do we need both? Demelo has 1 goal in his Jets career. Our RHD is seriously lacking

PP would be a little better with quicker puck movement, but it won't help much while they remain static. Skaters gotta' skate. Make the D move. Make the goalie move.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I find it just slightly disconcerting to hear the continued emphasis by Arneil to the effect that "we have to make them turn" - thereby justifying the huge emphasis to dump and chase that goes on.
This is of course a valid tactic, appropriate in certain unique game situations, but..... needs balance.

Perhaps because of this emphasis, there has been little evidence of any planned zone entryies, on 5v5 but especially on the PP, as you note. Needs some attention quickly.

As has been mentioned, hopefully it's just getting back to basics and they'll start introducing some misdirection on entries once they have more of a handle on the chasing part of dump-ins. I think it's tough to say whether it's just an outright mismatch in personnel to play that way in the top 6 but I think it's pretty obvious that the bottom 6 is finding success playing that way. It could just be willingness to play the way that's necessary along the boards to make the dump and chase entries work :dunno:

I think what's most surprising is that they're even defaulting to dumping the puck 5 on 4. Just getting stood up at the line is enough to kill our PP because of it.

Reactions: ecolad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad