Post-Game Talk: Can't win them all, Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Unfortunately Wheeler's game has gone off the cliff, really doesn't seen to be able to do anything out on the ice. Speed in gone, he rarely hits and it looks like his yearly poor start might last all year, plus his salary is a drag on this team.

Despite still being in his "yearly poor start" period, he is scoring at a 57 pt pace. Wait until he gets past his poor start in another 4-5 games.
How is his salary a drag on the team when Jets haven't spent to the cap yet?

He has lost a step and isn't the player he was 5 years ago. What 36 YO player is? He isn't as bad as some here are painting him.

Reactions: JetsFan815 and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How is a 4th line guy with no scoring ability and stone hands an option?
You still didn't give an alternative.

Its fun to criticize other people's ideas when you don’t have a solution.

I said when I originally presented the idea that it was crazy, but at least I tried.

PS if you're gonna throw shade at least reply to my post. instead of sub

PP would be a little better with quicker puck movement, but it won't help much while they remain static. Skaters gotta' skate. Make the D move. Make the goalie move.
You remember when the pp was doing that in preseason and it looked lethal and we were excited? Where's the movement?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Despite still being in his "yearly poor start" period, he is scoring at a 57 pt pace. Wait until he gets past his poor start in another 4-5 games.

He has lost a step and isn't the player he was 5 years ago. What 36 YO player is? He isn't as bad as some here are painting him.
I'm far more concerned about Connor than Wheeler. Wheeler is producing near what is expected of him, but if Connor isn't scoring at least a goal every other game its going to be a struggle for us this year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I find it just slightly disconcerting to hear the continued emphasis by Arneil to the effect that "we have to make them turn" - thereby justifying the huge emphasis to dump and chase that goes on.
This is of course a valid tactic, appropriate in certain unique game situations, but..... needs balance.

Perhaps because of this emphasis, there has been little evidence of any planned zone entryies, on 5v5 but especially on the PP, as you note. Needs some attention quickly.
I agree -
I also think the dump option is being overused for a reason -

I don't have a lot of faith in our ability to gain the zone off the rush when we don't approach with any speed. We sneak up on the blueline and expect to make plays with everyone standing still.
The only way to beat a clogged neutral zone, is to skate through it - the passing lanes are not there.

Ehlers is the outlier - he doesn't pull up on approach and waits to gain entry before making any plays.
PLD can make it happen to an extent based on bulling his way through - Lowry to an even lesser extent.
But KC and Scheif have not shown to have this ability - and it's so obvious - even on the PP.
It's frustrating because they are out there a lot when we need scoring and the issue becomes further emphasized.

Again, Ehlers is the missing pce on this line and until he's back, they likely dump. Maybe put someone out there with them that can chase - there's been a couple of suggestions already - I'd include Eyssimont (I'd give it a shot regardless of his pedigree). Of course, that won't happen - guys that are fighting for a roster spot don't step into the first line very often - but fans are entitled to their opinions -

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm far more concerned about Connor than Wheeler. Wheeler is producing near what is expected of him, but if Connor isn't scoring at least a goal every other game its going to be a struggle for us this year.

Yup. I picked him to score 1st in the prediction contest - but this is the last time if he doesn't score. :laugh: Maybe I'm jinxing him.

Thought that OT goal would get him going but he is playing worse with time. Needs to get his confidence back.

Some of us have been saying switch him with Perfetti since the start. I doubt being with Scheif is the reason for his slow start. They played together successfully for years. But something needs to be changed to get him going. Coach gotta' coach.

Reactions: Jet

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB

We differ from what we are seeing on the ice with Wheeler, I see someone who fumbles with the puck, gives it away and basically skates around not really engaging. 8m plus 17-18 minutes a game should get you more than 57 pts.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Ehlers is the outlier - he doesn't pull up on approach and waits to gain entry before making any plays.
PLD can make it happen to an extent based on bulling his way through - Lowry to an even lesser extent.
But KC and Scheif have not shown to have this ability - and it's so obvious - even on the PP.
It's frustrating because they are out there a lot when we need scoring and the issue becomes further emphasized.

Scheifele's actually been pretty good with (controlled) zone entries in the past with what I think were set neutral zone plays. Usually with a quick pass once he gained the line. I think teams have just stopped giving him any space at the line to make those quick pressure release passes. Maybe a consequence of teams knowing that Connor isn't the type of player to get into a board battle below the goal line and Appleton is just ineffective? :dunno:

Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Scheifele's actually been pretty good with (controlled) zone entries in the past with what I think were set neutral zone plays. Usually with a quick pass once he gained the line. I think teams have just stopped giving him any space at the line to make those quick pressure release passes. Maybe a consequence of teams knowing that Connor isn't the type of player to get into a board battle below the goal line and Appleton is just ineffective? :dunno:
I think you're right in that teams are adjusting to that play at the blueline - they are stacking up all 5 on the line and any short pass isn't there or there is too much traffic. When you congest that zone (blueline) to the point where you can't make a play, what are you options?
Dump or find a player that can skate through it.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Watching the highlights from last night and PLD's bump against the goalie and the subsequent pounding from TWO Flames.

End result: one two-minute penalty called against the goaltender.

Why was there NO penalties for the two players that attacked our guy? Don't give me that macho BS about the code says they have to retaliate on behalf of their goalie. Dubois didn't do anything. What they did, pure and simple, was a mugging. They attacked him and, two against one, proceeded to beat the hell out of him for fox's sake. What sport allows that? And where were the referees?

The NHL needs to look at this. If this is overlooked by the media and allowed to stand, it's going to translate into even more people looking elsewhere to spend their entertainment dollars.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Watching the highlights from last night and PLD's bump against the goalie and the subsequent pounding from TWO Flames.

End result: one two-minute penalty called against the goaltender.

Why was there NO penalties for the two players that attacked our guy? Don't give me that macho BS about the code says they have to retaliate on behalf of their goalie. Dubois didn't do anything. What they did, pure and simple, was a mugging. They attacked him and, two against one, proceeded to beat the hell out of him for fox's sake. What sport allows that? And where were the referees?

The NHL needs to look at this. If this is overlooked by the media and allowed to stand, it's going to translate into even more people looking elsewhere to spend their entertainment dollars.

It already gave the Jets a 5 on 3 is my guess

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
How is a 4th line guy with no scoring ability and stone hands an option?
Not a top-6 option, but definitely a source of energy--a road runner on skates
1668375981123.png

Reminds me of James Wright, but with more hair...er...flair.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Didn’t get to watch much last night, but what I did watch showed the jets flipping it out of their end over and over. Essentially giving the flames possession.

As far as the pp goes, I’m going to sound like a broken record, but morrissey isn’t a good pp qb. We should really see what we have in Heinola. I know they will never replace a vet with a rookie, but I think it would be a huge improvement.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Didn’t get to watch much last night, but what I did watch showed the jets flipping it out of their end over and over. Essentially giving the flames possession.

As far as the pp goes, I’m going to sound like a broken record, but morrissey isn’t a good pp qb. We should really see what we have in Heinola. I know they will never replace a vet with a rookie, but I think it would be a huge improvement.

Morrissey is more triggerman then distributor. He should be in the Conner spot on PP 2. Scheifele is also no PP HB QB. Our PP improves a lot when you get Cole and Ville running it with Dubois in the bumper and Conner setting up.for one timers.

Reactions: Jack7222 and ecolad

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Morrissey is more triggerman then distributor. He should be in the Conner spot on PP 2. Scheifele is also no PP HB QB. Our PP improves a lot when you get Cole and Ville running it with Dubois in the bumper and Conner setting up.for one timers.
Totally agree.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We differ from what we are seeing on the ice with Wheeler, I see someone who fumbles with the puck, gives it away and basically skates around not really engaging. 8m plus 17-18 minutes a game should get you more than 57 pts.

Read my last paragraph in that post again. I'm not seeing him through rose tinted glasses. I wish this was the last year of his contract. I wish he would play smarter, since he can't play as fast as he used to. Maybe he will figure that out soon. But 17-18 min and 57 pts is not bad. It is not worth 8+ mil, but we always knew he wouldn't play up to that contract right through its term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But he was coach of the year the game before.
I suppose it will be another wild ride

I'm not getting too excited over 1 game. I think the sluggish start after 3 days off is a real thing. I don't know why, but it happens.

Edit: I expect much better tonight. :crossfing

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think JMo is the problem with our PP. Perfetti or Heinola might be better, or not. Playing that PP scheme, I don't think any personnel changes would help much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think JMo is the problem with our PP. Perfetti or Heinola might be better, or not. Playing that PP scheme, I don't think any personnel changes would help much.

I don't think anything is actually wrong with the shape. It's the same standard umbrella most teams run. The issue is Scheifele is a horrible HB QB that sits stationary in his spot and doesn't open up the cross seam passing lane to Conner nor does he move enough to open the bumper spot for a Dubois shot.

The second PP unit runs the same scheme but due to motion and quick passing by Cole they open up the cross seam to Schmidt quite regularly or he pulls players to him allowing him to get it to Blake who has the bumper pass wide open.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Unfortunately Wheeler's game has gone off the cliff, really doesn't seen to be able to do anything out on the ice. Speed in gone, he rarely hits and it looks like his yearly poor start might last all year, plus his salary is a drag on this team.
That's on Chipman, Chevy, and Bowness. I don't blame Wheeler one bit.

That works if your team is skating but the team as a whole looked very slow last night. Slow to pucks and slow with the puck.

The key to winning tonight is to get a lead because they're going to have to manage their energy a bit
That's what jets do, they manage energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad