Post-Game Talk: Can't win them all, Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Would it have, though? Did we even get any shots on the PPs we had?

No probably not but... at the same time knowing Calgary won't be getting away with some of the shit they did might have made a difference. Calgary might have had to change how they were playing if the refs called a few of the more obvious high sticks early... like I said maybe it doesn't make a difference but... maybe it does

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yeah it's clear that it's dump unuless you have a clear lane to enter with control. I personally don't think it's a great for this team when playing against teams like Calgary that are good against the forecheck.

Hopefully they can figure out something that can resolve some of the neutral zone issues. And while I wouldn't go as far as saying the Jets position in the standings is smoke and mirrors yet, I still think there's plenty of questions about whether the way they win is sustainable enough to make the playoffs. Having some sustained special teams success with proper entry strategy beyond throwing the puck around the boards would go a long way in convincing me.

Edit: Maybe Ehlers returning will be the cure-all :dunno:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Pk Is part of the special teams and the pk has been very good. PP? Seems like the puck movement is way 2 slow and that's not coaching that's the players

Problem right now is If 55 and Dubois aren't scoring nobody in the top 6 Is

Connor and Scheif are shooters... they need a passer on that line.

Dubois ain't a shooter either, I'm not sure what he is but he's looking like a guy who maybe tops out at 60 65 points

Pionk and Schmidt are the same. Offensive d men who are piss poor defensively. Do we need both? Demelo has 1 goal in his Jets career. Our RHD is seriously lacking

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbledore

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pk Is part of the special teams and the pk has been very good. PP? Seems like the puck movement is way 2 slow and that's not coaching that's the players

Problem right now is If 55 and Dubois aren't scoring nobody in the top 6 Is

Connor and Scheif are shooters... they need a passer on that line.

Dubois ain't a shooter either, I'm not sure what he is but he's looking like a guy who maybe tops out at 60 65 points

Pionk and Schmidt are the same. Offensive d men who are piss poor defensively. Do we need both? Demelo has 1 goal in his Jets career. Our RHD is seriously lacking
Not sure how you come to this last assessment. Pionk with 2 points tonight moves into a tie for 22nd in league scoring among d-men. How many teams have 2 d-men in the league's top 30 in scoring you ask? Jets, Golden Knights, Lightning, Oilers and Avalanche, with the Kings, Flyers and Coyotes on the cusp. That was a highlight reel play that he and Morrissey made to give Dubois a tap in to tie the game. Their goal against was maybe a sign of their weakness defending the front of the net, but that play starts with a lost faceoff that Scheifele probably doesn't take if Lowry's isn't in the dressing room.

Dillon-Schmidt are excellent this year. Schmidt's jump has led to some good scoring chances. He's also playing PK2 regularly, which has been successful.

De Melo is probably better suited as a #5, leader of the PK. He's done a good job this year with both Samberg and Stanley when asked to.

Big change is that the Jets top 4 defense is a legit top 4 so far.

PP tonight was brutal, but the Flames are no slouches on the PK. A very disengaged game from Scheifele, who was nonchalant in passing and shooting didn't help, and his lazy backcheck on the GWG was noticeable, when you look across the other side and see the effort put in by guys like Kadri and Backlund to block shots and negate scoring chances. Sometimes you have to credit your opponent for outplaying you, the Flames didn't want to go to 5-7 tonight with a couple of bonus points, and played well enough to win.

Dubois took over for Scheifele in the 2nd period on Connor's line, but I didn't see much improvement in scoring chances. Scheifele and Connor probably had better chances in the 1st in my opinion.

Hopefully the Jets put in the effort for 2 points tomorrow. I don't think this team will reach its offensive potential until Ehlers comes back, and the lineup changes reverberate.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
I didn't think the Jets played a bad first two periods but that botched Conner shot that lead to the GWG and whatever you'd like to call that 2 man advantage just killed this teams momentum. We never could recover and figure our a way through Calgary's trap in the third.

Helle wasn't his best tonight but still gave us a chance to win.

Defense as a whole was fine imo and JoMo and Pionk put up some points.

Scheifele and Conner were both poor and made a number of defensive errors.

Wheeler was misfiring on a bunch of passes but some how got put out at the end of the game and on the two man advantage.

Dubois played well, Cole had some positive and not so positive moments, a good experience playing in this type of game.

Bottom 6 was just ok outside of Lowry who had a good night.

Special teams was the difference and it's been long enough that our coaches should know that PP1 doesn't work at all and it's going to start costing us more games.
Didn’t get to see the game. I specifically look for your posts to sum up the Jet’s play. Always insightful and informative. Thank you so much!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Hopefully they can figure out something that can resolve some of the neutral zone issues. And while I wouldn't go as far as saying the Jets position in the standings is smoke and mirrors yet, I still think there's plenty of questions about whether the way they win is sustainable enough to make the playoffs. Having some sustained special teams success with proper entry strategy beyond throwing the puck around the boards would go a long way in convincing me.

Edit: Maybe Ehlers returning will be the cure-all :dunno:
I think playoff talk in November is premature. This team needs a few major tweaks before they are a playoff team.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Well, I sure hope the Bombers don’t come out with this level of effort tomorrow …
Im not sure it was effort. Even thru first two. They locked it down in the third, were a desperate team. Even the worst of teams won’t lose 8 in a row.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not the worst effort I've seen but they were a clear second best tonight.

Scheifele needs to figure out what to do when back checking rushes. He just skates nowhere.
When the Flames scored the winning goal I was thinking about how many goals we've seen over the last 3 years where Schiefele comes into the screen a second after the opposition scores.

He's been way better overall but Bowness will have to fix this. The top line has been awful in their own zone again this year.

I really want to see Fjallby on the top line. I honestly think he has offense in his game and he could be the guy on that line that is the defensive conscience.

Appleton is trying but he just doesn't fit there. Why not try

Perfetti Schiefele Fjallby
Connor Dubois Wheeler

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not the worst effort I've seen but they were a clear second best tonight.

Scheifele needs to figure out what to do when back checking rushes. He just skates nowhere.
He’s only been doing the same thing for 5 years. Worst nhler I’ve ever seen for actually finding his check and staring at the puck.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah it's clear that it's dump unuless you have a clear lane to enter with control. I personally don't think it's a great for this team when playing against teams like Calgary that are good against the forecheck.
That works if your team is skating but the team as a whole looked very slow last night. Slow to pucks and slow with the puck.

The key to winning tonight is to get a lead because they're going to have to manage their energy a bit

Reactions: thereturn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad