Post-Game Talk: Can't Win Em All - Ducks 4 Jets 3 (OT)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I was just happy to come away with a point last night - the Jets spent a lot of time doing the D-zone-scramble and were physically dominated. Too bad Buff didn't want to mix it up - he may still be nursing something though...it's not like he shies away from the hard hitting side of the game usually. Lowry would've been handy last night. If we face the Ducks in the playoffs it would be nice to have Lemieux available for some black ops as well.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The team is currently 6 out of 16 on shootouts, above league average which has held steady around ~33% for some time. Of the four players below average, three of them (Hendricks, Ehlers, and Perreault) are 0-1.
So who is above average then. Sure Little has been hot, and Wheels has had a few lately, but the stats Dax showed indicated few are close to 1/3 over the long haul.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So who is above average then. Sure Little has been hot, and Wheels has had a few lately, but the stats Dax showed indicated few are close to 1/3 over the long haul.

Little is 3/4 (75%), Schiefele is 1/2 (50%); Wheeler is essentially average on the dot (1/3, 33%); Laine is 1/4 (25%) and Hendricks, Perreault and Ehlers are 0-1.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I was just happy to come away with a point last night - the Jets spent a lot of time doing the D-zone-scramble and were physically dominated. Too bad Buff didn't want to mix it up - he may still be nursing something though...it's not like he shies away from the hard hitting side of the game usually. Lowry would've been handy last night. If we face the Ducks in the playoffs it would be nice to have Lemieux available for some black ops as well.
he wasn't shying away from Kessler when he put him on his ass.

Reactions: Jets 31

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
My understanding is that they didn't practise (some comments how it is inefficient to have 2 goalies and 6 guys on ice during practise with the rest of the team doing nothing useful).

Might be smart to look at it before next season but personally I wouldn't pay that much attention this season seeing how far in we are.

Unless I'm wrong we are 2-2 on SO, 1-6 on OT and 1-5 on OT that sees 3v3 action.

Maurice also mentioned in an interview that to practice it properly in practice it's just like a bag skate. I think the shift of Trouba (3:04)Wheeler (2:38) and Laine (2:38) speak for themselves.

With our busy November December schedule and very few practices it isn't the wisest use of time nor good for fatigue management.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It seems to me the Jets really haven't grasped the art of 3on3 puck possession. Other teams seem more relaxed, pass the puck around at their leisure, and pick their shots carefully. We try to force plays or take the first low-danger shot that presents itself. It doesn't seem like we use the extra ice that well.

That being said, the Jets needed to improve on a lot of aspects of their game this year, like special teams, defence, and continuing to incorporate our young players and rookies. And they have done so. These things seem even more important than 3on3, because they make a difference in both the regular season AND the playoffs. There's no 3on3 OT in the playoffs. So, given limited time to practice and a fairly long list of stuff needing improvement, I can see why 3on3 hasn't made the list yet.

On the topic of practicing 3 on 3, I don't even know why much practice is required. Send out your great possession players and tell them exactly what you just said. They are professionals and shouldn't need to actually only have 3 players on the ice to know how to be patient and keep possession until something opens up.

Not directed at you, but I don't understand why it would require much (if any) actual practice.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Good game by the Jets. I didn't like the first and third goals we let in. Puck should have been out of the zone, but two giveaways pretty much set it up on a silver platter. The second goal I thought Helle was caught napping. Shouldn't have gone in from a bad angle, but good hard shot from Kesler.

The overtime was brutal. I didn't buy into the hype that we have major issues in how we approach overtime, but after that awful display last night, I think it's something we need to work on. We barely touched the puck.

Didn't mind the decision to put Hendricks on the SO. Almost scored. I think he kind of lost control at the last second.

Otherwise a good overall game. Trouba's best game of the year. Nice to get the point.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I thought Roslovic was the best player on that line last night. Also, has anyone mentioned Joel's screw-up with the two on one with Tanev? Tanev made a nice play on that one near the end of the game and Army of one just couldn't handle the puck. If he had, we might be talking about another story.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I thought Roslovic was the best player on that line last night. Also, has anyone mentioned Joel's screw-up with the two on one with Tanev? Tanev made a nice play on that one near the end of the game and Army of one just couldn't handle the puck. If he had, we might be talking about another story.

The puck was flat, and hit a rut and bounced around

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This game was reffed like a playoff game. A few calls each way first two periods and then put the whistle away and no 4 on 4 after every scrum.

No sense complaining too much because that's what we are going to get when the games really count.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
This game was reffed like a playoff game. A few calls each way first two periods and then put the whistle away and no 4 on 4 after every scrum.

No sense complaining too much because that's what we are going to get when the games really count.

If they put the whistle away in the third how the heck did we spend two minutes killing a penalty?

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I read today that Hendrick's son was with the team in Anaheim where he got to go out for a meal with them and to their practice. This was a huge deal for him because he was able to meet some of his favorite players like Laine and Wheeler.

In light of this, I have to hand it to Maurice for sending Hendricks out for the shoot out ...knowing how important this game was to him personally.

There's probably not one player on the team who would begrudge Hendricks this opportunity.....and not one player who didn't take note that their coach would do the same for any one of them.

Of course, I might be completely off base here, but it's a possibility.

I would prefer that the coach pick his SO guys based on their merit, not on making them look good in front of their kids and family. Having said that, I don't mind him going with Hendricks since he does have a good SO percentage. I just hope that was the reason for picking him. There's no room for sacrificing points to pump up players for personal reasons.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
everyone's complaining with the Hendricks call, but starting little was already leading us to failure
little doesn't have a. great shoot out record
and you have players like ehlers and armia with skated and mitts yet you choose little

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
everyone's complaining with the Hendricks call, but starting little was already leading us to failure
little doesn't have a. great shoot out record
and you have players like ehlers and armia with skated and mitts yet you choose little

Little was 3 for 3 this season before last night.

Reactions: Peggy

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
did they win?

Maurice is pretty boring with his shooters in shoot out
we have players who would probably shine in shoot out

I got no problem with the three he chose. The order is irrelevant IMO

Shootouts get practiced. The team has more knowledge about who they should use than you do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad