OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If we were up against the cap, I'd agree that 5m for essentially a backup IOL would be an issue, but we're not. We'd be a Seumalo/Daniels injury away from having to start 3 rookies, and Herbig can play C too. I think depth at the position is more important than a future 6th/7th pick swap or whatever we could get for him.
Depends on how they feel about Anderson and McCollum

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Would prefer they just stay away from this

thumb_what-would-nancy-reagan-do-justsayno-just-say-no-why-52703096.png

Reactions: End of Line

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Technically they could throw Anderson in there and he's a second year guy.

Pedantry aside... I mean, yeah, this bit matters too. But does it matter enough to carry 10 guys? Are they going to drop a young kid they like to keep him around? And I know they said Herbig was the guy they were thinking of playing C, just how much do they trust him because it's not like he's got a bunch of experience.

edit: Also, while the Steelers aren't up against the cap, that 4m (after dead cap) could really make a difference in terms of who they get in the last bit of FA.

Anderson and Cook are non-factors to me. Almost no investment in them and neither has played a snap at the NFL level.

Khan gave Herbig that contract and has the Weidl-Philly connection so I think they like him a fair amount? I'm not sure it's a lack of trust, he just never got an opportunity because the guys in front of him stayed healthy.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anderson and Cook are non-factors to me. Almost no investment in them and neither has played a snap at the NFL level.

Khan gave Herbig that contract and has the Weidl-Philly connection so I think they like him a fair amount? I'm not sure it's a lack of trust, he just never got an opportunity because the guys in front of him stayed healthy.

Herbig's played 47 NFL snaps at center. I don't buy dismissing Anderson and Cook due to their lack of NFL experience but talking about Herbig as a guy who can play C. We're talking potential to do a thing in either case. Both guys seems to fit the level of athleticism the team is looking for which isn't necessarily all that easy to find and they're both guys the team has opted to keep around. They're both far better fits for the scheme due to the athleticism. I've no idea how much the Steelers value them but I would absolutely not be surprised if the answer was more than Herbig.

And Khan has already cut one guy he signed in Peterson. I don't know he'll be all that bothered to do it again. He's going to do it a lot after all.

And re trust... if we're talking Herbig as a C then, yeah, Cole stayed healthy, but my god he did everything he could to play his way out of a starting role. He did come the end of the season. I know they don't like change but even so, you've got to wonder how much they trust Herbig there when that went down.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Steelers crushed this draft. They went in with a clear objective to fix the o-line. Truly a master class.
I don't know why people say this. No one knows how they did in the draft for another year or two. They drafted a bunch of linemen, but we don't know if they are any good yet

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I don't know why people say this. No one knows how they did in the draft for another year or two. They drafted a bunch of linemen, but we don't know if they are any good yet

On the one hand, not wrong.

On the other... the talent spotters are right more often than not. This doesn't work out, I'd have a ton more questions about the development than the drafting.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Anderson might be viewed as OT depth as well. Could easily see Herbig and Moore traded before the season and play the best 5 and let them grow together

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Herbig's played 47 NFL snaps at center. I don't buy dismissing Anderson and Cook due to their lack of NFL experience but talking about Herbig as a guy who can play C. We're talking potential to do a thing in either case. Both guys seems to fit the level of athleticism the team is looking for which isn't necessarily all that easy to find and they're both guys the team has opted to keep around. They're both far better fits for the scheme due to the athleticism. I've no idea how much the Steelers value them but I would absolutely not be surprised if the answer was more than Herbig.

And Khan has already cut one guy he signed in Peterson. I don't know he'll be all that bothered to do it again. He's going to do it a lot after all.

And re trust... if we're talking Herbig as a C then, yeah, Cole stayed healthy, but my god he did everything he could to play his way out of a starting role. He did come the end of the season. I know they don't like change but even so, you've got to wonder how much they trust Herbig there when that went down.
Herbig can play center but he's primarily a guard and would probably be first man up if there were injuries to Seumalo or Daniels in the early part of the season. There's value in having a 5 year vet with ~30 starts be that guy as opposed to throwing a rookie in there.

Zach Frazier
Isaac Seumalo
James Daniels
Troy Fautanu
Broderick Jones
Dan Moore
Nate Herbig
Mason McCormick

And probably one of Cook/Anderson/UDFA will be the 9th on the roster is my guess.

I still want to add an IPP player if for no other reason than we get a 17th practice squad slot

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think keeping Herbig as a C would make a lot more sense than keeping Herbig as a G. If they do plan on having him as the backup center, I think it would make a lot more sense to keep him.

I'd probably say their depth chart once the season starts should be:

-LT: Jones and Moore
-LG: Seumalo and McCormick
-C: Frazier and Herbig
-RG: Daniels and Anderson
-RT: Fautanu

I think carrying 9 OL should be the expectation, and I'd be fine with keeping Herbig if they viewed him as more of a center. I'm just unsure if they'd view him as a C option or just a LG/RG option. If he's not an option as a backup C, there is simply no reason to keep him IMO.

Reactions: Pengwins

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I think keeping Herbig as a C would make a lot more sense than keeping Herbig as a G. If they do plan on having him as the backup center, I think it would make a lot more sense to keep him.

I'd probably say their depth chart once the season starts should be:

-LT: Jones and Moore
-LG: Seumalo and McCormick
-C: Frazier and Herbig
-RG: Daniels and Anderson
-RT: Fautanu

I think carrying 9 OL should be the expectation, and I'd be fine with keeping Herbig if they viewed him as more of a center. I'm just unsure if they'd view him as a C option or just a LG/RG option. If he's not an option as a backup C, there is simply no reason to keep him IMO.
Khan's comments in Indy (the same one he lied about Pickett :laugh:):
1714245488904.png

Him having position flexibility (C+G) is another plus.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

On the one hand, not wrong.

On the other... the talent spotters are right more often than not. This doesn't work out, I'd have a ton more questions about the development than the drafting.

There's legitimate reason to be optimistic, time will tell but I'm thrilled with the value we seemingly garnered this draft. Still got to shore up CB and WR a bit.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Trice is a 7th round pick and is currently our #3 CB. I'm not optimistic about our CB situation.
Considering we haven't drafted a CB yet I'm betting they try to sign a FA like Gilmore or Adore Jackson.
they have had trice to look closely at for over a year and they know him better than anyone they could pick. and if they haven't picked a cb yet, they must think they don't need one. imo

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah at this point, I think the main needs on the team are a WR2/3 to complement Roman Wilson and a slot CB3. This team has more than enough money to be able to afford that, though.

Also we're going to need another way to differentiate between the different Wilsons on this team. Russell, Roman and Payton are too many Wilsons :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
they have had trice to look closely at for over a year and they know him better than anyone they could pick. and if they haven't picked a cb yet, they must think they don't need one. imo
There was an article saying similar a few days ago.

Reactions: The Old Master

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Herbig can play center but he's primarily a guard and would probably be first man up if there were injuries to Seumalo or Daniels in the early part of the season. There's value in having a 5 year vet with ~30 starts be that guy as opposed to throwing a rookie in there.

Zach Frazier
Isaac Seumalo
James Daniels
Troy Fautanu
Broderick Jones
Dan Moore
Nate Herbig
Mason McCormick

And probably one of Cook/Anderson/UDFA will be the 9th on the roster is my guess.

I still want to add an IPP player if for no other reason than we get a 17th practice squad slot

Sure there's value.

I'm not sure there's 4m worth of value. I might feel different if he was an absolute system fit but I think there was a real question. Talent and experience gets obliterated if they're being asked to do things they're not good at.

Edit: And I'm not sure what the Steelers are thinking either in terms of who they like most.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Steelers are so predictable…every selection was a top 30 visit…no smoke screens with them…every team knows who they’ll select and if they want that player, they will jump up ahead of them lol..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Steelers are so predictable…every selection was a top 30 visit…no smoke screens with them…every team knows who they’ll select and if they want that player, they will jump up ahead of them lol..

Tbf, no team is doing that, so why not grab the players they want? Not every year you get to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad