Post-Game Talk: Can't Win Em All - Ducks 4 Jets 3 (OT)

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You could divide the ice in half and have two 3-v-3 going at the same time with 6 skaters and a goalie on each half. It wouldn't exactly replicate the real thing but it would be pretty close, and you'd be using everyone who'd be involved.
I somewhat agree with you regarding 3on3, but this is a terrible idea. The whole reason we need to practice is because we force plays instead of trying to use the entire ice and maximize possession. We need to learn to take the puck back out over centre if there is no option in the offensive zone and use all of the open ice to open up space.

I would say can we not use two ice sheets at the Iceplex? Send all of the guys who don't play 3on3 onto another ice surface.

Reactions: Board Bard

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Weren't you decrying small sample size literally two minutes before you posted this? But I guess smaller is better now, right?

Nope, that’s not what I’m doing at all; I’m showing everyone that’s using a smaller sample size that even their own misapplied and faulty logic, even if taken at face value, still doesn’t support their position.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just wanted to note Myers' speed getting back on in OT, just before the puck went crazy on Manson. I had no idea he could move that fast. I'm really liking his game this year. He's a lot of fun to watch, with maybe the best/most reliable point shot of any Jets D, and much smarter on the puck than he'd showed in previous years I think, despite the defensive gaffes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Game could have gone both ways. We got a point, are getting Lowry back, and are going to start a 10 game home stand. Not really a bad position to be in.

I know I'm repeating myself but it's so frustrating watching this team in OT.

The long shift killed our OT - but how do you change when you can't get the puck?

Maybe that should be the strategy in OT. Just get possession once then wear down the other team in their own end. Don't actually take a shot because that might allow the other team to change. :laugh: Start shooting with about 30 sec. left.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Continuing to rack up points without Scheif and Lowry.

Also:

All-Star break standings:

WEmjaAZ.png

If the NHL would adopt a more sensible system of listing standings we would be 2nd. In the Central. That's pretty good by itself but being the Central is like being first in any other Div. Well, sorta'.:laugh: Not sure how TBL, VGK and BB would fare in the Central so lets just say, 2nd :banana::bb:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
While some point earlier in the season I felt the Jets record was perhaps a bit "unsustainable" and as such wasn't overly happy about it, I think now it's the time to rejoice and celebrate, not overanalyze single plays and mistakes or Maurice's decisions with the aid of hindsight :D

While losing Scheifele was very bad, the way the team and coaching has responded has been pretty much the best case scenario. Down the line these players will now know they don't have to rely on any single individual but can win games against anybody as a team. Losing both Scheif and Lowry, Maurice really had to adjust the line up and player usage / minutes and hopefully he's learned a thing or two from it. If someone had said you'll lose both Scheif and Lowry, now do you want to actually play the games or take a 6-2-2 record for the next 10 games, I'm pretty sure anyone would've grabbed that with greedy hands :)

Can't say I'm happy about an OT loss, but all things considered, looking back grabbing a point from that game was pretty good result.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Question for everyone..if we play Anaheim in the playoffs do we win?

They were finally healthy. We were missing 3 key players and still took them to a SO in their building. If we were healthy, yes. With the roster we had last night? It might depend on who has home ice advantage. Or maybe on the refs.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Some quick thoughts on the game

1)
Trouba played great, and was the most dominant player on the ice. I hope he keeps playing like that, and I think he will. He looks much happier with this team lately. Really nice goal he set up with Tanev on a break away. His point shot was very accurate as well. He's starting to look like his last years form.

2) Helle made some really great saves, but unfortunately a fluky goal got past him, from a very bad angle. The guy had a bit of a lucky shot.

3) Myers is looking better every game out -- he's especially great on the power play, as his shot hits the net about 80 % of the time - "maybe more"

4) When the Jet's play a tough physical team like the Ducks, they should have Lemieux in there to hand out some of the rough stuff back to the opponents. They need him on the ice when playing these hard hitting teams.

5) Bottom Line- great hard hitting game, that could have gone either way in the shootout. Could have went either way. Getting 3 of 4 points on the road was great, on a tough road trip. Jet's did "really well"- especially without Scheif and Lowry and Kulikov in the lineup.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Does it make sense we're playing Dano with a big tough, ball busting team like the Ducks, when we have Lemieux ??? I just don't get it ???

Lemieux is the perfect type of guy to insert into the lineup against these physical teams like the Ducks. Guys like Morrissey are really getting roughed up badly. Also small D-men like Enstrom aren't to much help against the bigger rougher teams -- Chiarot is the right guy, and played good.

In the last 3-4 games I've tried to watch Dano, but the guy is invisible and useless -- get rid of this guy !!!
Is Trouba still playing poorly so Chevy will trade him?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Is Trouba still playing poorly so Chevy will trade him?

Trouba is playing great lately, and I thought he was the most dominant player on the ice. He's starting to regain his last years form. I was very impressed with his game against the Ducks. He's also looking much happier with his teammates, and his play is getting better each time out this year. Set up a beauty on that breakaway to Tanev.

I'm all in for keeping Trouba -- and would like to see that, but only if his contracts demands are going to be reasonable -- and I'm sure Chevy feels the same way. I just don't want any guy --including Trouba to throw out the pay equilibrium on the club. After all this commotion about Trouba's contract, I think he will end up re-signing with the Jet's in the $ 6- 6.5 mil area, especially if he keeps up his play.

Right now, I'd give a lot of thought to trading Buff in the off season for a top line center, but would only do that if Trouba "resigns" -- I hope he does.

Reactions: sipowicz

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
That's the other part of how we suck so often at 3 on 3. How many times has Wheeler been out there for 2 mins or so & is totally useless by then. Ditto for Buff. Jets don't seem to know how to take possession & hold onto it long enough to make a change of players, or the players that have been on for 30-45 secs don't realize that they need to change rather than making one more rush (which turns into an extra minute before they get their next chance to get off the ice). Its becoming an issue more and more, I hate to complain after they get 3 out of 4 in Calif, but this is quite fixable

Happens to every team though, guys getting caught out for extremely long shifts 3 on 3. To me it’s basically a suck fest. By the time anyone gets a scoring chance they are so damn tired half the time they can’t even shoot.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Happens to every team though, guys getting caught out for extremely long shifts 3 on 3. To me it’s basically a suck fest. By the time anyone gets a scoring chance they are so damn tired half the time they can’t even shoot.

Still think 5mins of 4on4, then 5mins of 3on3, and then the SO would be much more sensible. Of course when was the last time the NHL did something sensible?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Trouba is playing great lately, and I thought he was the most dominant player on the ice. He's starting to regain his last years form. I was very impressed with his game against the Ducks. He's also looking much happier with his teammates, and his play is getting better each time out this year. Set up a beauty on that breakaway to Tanev.
I'm all in for keeping Trouba -- and would like to see that, but only if his contracts demands are going to be reasonable -- and I'm sure Chevy feels the same way. I just don't want any guy --including Trouba to throw out the pay equilibrium on the club. After all this commotion about Trouba's contract, I think he will end up re-signing with the Jet's in the $ 6- 6.5 mil area, especially if he keeps up his play.
Right now, I'd give a lot of thought to trading Buff in the off season for a top line center, but would only do that if Trouba "resigns" -- I hope he does.
Buff won't get you a top line center. Chevy will probably try to hold on to all 3 or trade Myers this summer. I thihnk he tries keeping all three. It is amazing depth for the right side. Myers has picked his game up but just not a smart enough player for me. Not aggressive enough either. he has shown some recently but he is just too soft a player. Imagine him with Buff's or Trouba's mean streak...
Scheif got 8 x 6.125 for 49 million. Let us assume that Trouba was worth that much.
Trouba has played two years for 6 so 49 - 6 = 43
43m over 6 years is about 7.17m.
Trouba probably won't sign more than 5 years though and I am okay with that.
Look at someone like Reilly from the Leafs. He was drafted the same year as Trouba and around the same place. He signed for 6 years at 5m. He has 4 years left on his deal after this season. 30m over that time would mean 30-6=24 so 24/4=6m a year. Trouba will re-sign for 7m x 5 years before his arbitration hearing.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Idk if I want to either. They’re just gonna try and take out our skill guys and bank on refs not calling ****.
I'd love to see the Jets play the Ducks in the playoffs...especially if we had home advantage. Karma is a biotch. The Ducks healthy against the Jets healthy wouldn't win more than two games. I hate that team...especially Katy.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The Jets did not lose, they just did not get the second point. Big difference. I hope they meet the Ducks. That should mean the Jets finished 1st in the Central. Or the Jets Ducks could meet later in the third round.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
The long shift killed our OT - but how do you change when you can't get the puck?

Maybe that should be the strategy in OT. Just get possession once then wear down the other team in their own end. Don't actually take a shot because that might allow the other team to change. :laugh: Start shooting with about 30 sec. left.

Wait what? Is that not the strategy already? These boards were more exciting read than the OT.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I have not watched the last two California Games but I plan too next week when time permits, remember Hendricks little child I think I read he was 5 at the game also so the entire Team knew as well and we had already gotten 7 out of 8 points so I really think Maurice gained a lot of respect from all of our players that when their day comes when their kid is there at a game and we are really doing fine in the standings and points already won that their own kid may see them in a shootout if that does even transpires...

Maurice Cares...

That's why he is so respected by our Winnipeg Jet players...

Go Jets Go

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GNP

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Really different watching this years team.
You never really feel it’s out of reach or out of control.
The clench factor is only defcon 5 instead defcon 9 or 10
Most entertaining
GJG

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Just wanted to note Myers' speed getting back on in OT, just before the puck went crazy on Manson. I had no idea he could move that fast. I'm really liking his game this year. He's a lot of fun to watch, with maybe the best/most reliable point shot of any Jets D, and much smarter on the puck than he'd showed in previous years I think, despite the defensive gaffes.

The home commentators have been raving about Myers in the last couple of games and saying he’s looking the best he’s ever looked. I agree with them, he’s been phenomenal.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Still think 5mins of 4on4, then 5mins of 3on3, and then the SO would be much more sensible. Of course when was the last time the NHL did something sensible?

Kinda agree, but I’d drop the shootout. If no team is able to win don’t award the extra point. It’d be better to not give EXTRA points for ties than to just share the points. Why on earth would you make it better for teams to tie than to win straight up?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Kinda agree, but I’d drop the shootout. If no team is able to win don’t award the extra point. It’d be better to not give EXTRA points for ties than to just share the points. Why on earth would you make it better for teams to tie than to win straight up?

Ties are lame. And thank god they’re never coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->