Call of Duty: WWII

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Even after the so called server updates yesterday and today it's taking a miracle to find a game when you are in a party and everyone but the lobby leaders tend to get blank scoreboards after games where they can't do anything.

I'm taking a few days off until Sledgehammer fixes this because I spend half the time searching for games and staring at frozen UIs.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Anyone else having extreme difficulty getting a party set up with friends in order to enter a game together?

It's been brutal since day 1 for me.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Boots on the ground was a baaaaaaad call.

As every other shooter leans into either fast-pace, verticality and mobility, or slow pace and max tension (PUBG), COD:WW2 is caught in this no-man's land of just being.... really ****ing boring.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Boots on the ground was a baaaaaaad call.

As every other shooter leans into either fast-pace, verticality and mobility, or slow pace and max tension (PUBG), COD:WW2 is caught in this no-man's land of just being.... really ****ing boring.

Wow you really couldn’t be more wrong here. Not only did the community beg for it. But sales were dropping with the futuristic jet packs gameplay and I don’t think cod has ever been a tactical shooter nor should it be. You don’t like it? Fine but you can’t say it was a bad call

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Wow you really couldn’t be more wrong here. Not only did the community beg for it. But sales were dropping with the futuristic jet packs gameplay and I don’t think cod has ever been a tactical shooter nor should it be. You don’t like it? Fine but you can’t say it was a bad call

Yep! Seems the biggest plus is the fact that the boots are on the ground. It is funny. You notice that the people who are pros in the later games hate the new game while many of the "older" pros have favored back to the origin.

It is funny watching some players randomly jump thinking they have jetpacks still :laugh:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Saw this on sale for 53.99 at bj's but was thinking about waiting to see if its any cheaper on cyber monday.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

I wasn't speaking to sales, I was speaking to quality.

Infinite Warfare wasn't great, not because the concepts were poor, but because the execution was. Wall-running was slow, the maps weren't built for it (or interesting at all), the weapons looked futuristic but behaved exactly like every other assault rifle that's ever been in a COD, etc. They provided the wrapping of a high-paced, futuristic mobility shooter, but none of the actual substance.

The solution is to deliver the concept well, not abandon the concept and pretend we're back in the early 2000s when WW2 shooters were new and exciting. It's a slow, boring shooter that adds nothing to the formula. It is the videogame of the old man behind the times, trying to relive the glory days of his youth.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Just picked the game up the other day. It's a really fun game but I can't help but laugh how they try to say war mode is new, but battlefield has made that its mainstay game mode for how long? On top of destructible buildings and vehicles.

With that said it's still really fun as I'm not a big fan of TDM. I brought it over to my buddies to play as he's a hardcore cod fan and he was getting so pissed off because he wants to sprint around and just get kills instead of slowing down and checking corners.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Saw this on sale for 53.99 at bj's but was thinking about waiting to see if its any cheaper on cyber monday.

It's been that price on greenmangaming.com since it came out, so I wouldn't rush to grab it from BJ's. Black Friday/Cyber Monday might see it's price drop and I'd check to see if there is a drop on green man as well. (For PC anyway)

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Can anything be done to get rid quick scopers?

Sneak up behind them and shovel them in the head. I get constant bronze stars doing this.

With that said it's still really fun as I'm not a big fan of TDM. I brought it over to my buddies to play as he's a hardcore cod fan and he was getting so pissed off because he wants to sprint around and just get kills instead of slowing down and checking corners.

I rack up so many kills with players like this. They get frustrate and don’t get that they have to play differently now.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
It is funny watching some players randomly jump thinking they have jetpacks still :laugh:
Still do jumps to the side intentionally especially when taken by surprise, seems to mess up a couple people's accuracy as they have to adjust for both vertical and horizontal changes

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Yep! Seems the biggest plus is the fact that the boots are on the ground. It is funny. You notice that the people who are pros in the later games hate the new game while many of the "older" pros have favored back to the origin.

If people enjoy it, good for them. It's too slow and old-fashioned for me. I played like 10 matches, finished the campaign, sold the game back.

I don't think I'll be able to go back to a 'boots on the ground' COD when I can play something like TitanFall 2 on one end of the spectrum (all pace, verticality, mobility, engagement variety), and something like PUBG on the other end of the spectrum, which is all tension, risk/reward, high consequence on the other end of the spectrum.

This COD is stuck firmly in the middle and scratches neither itch in MP, and has a mediocre campaign to boot. I'm disappointed, because after Advanced Warfare, I was excited to see what Sledgehammer would do next. But the end result is such safe, focus-grouped, bland stuff, it's hard to imagine even THEY were particularly excited about this project.

As a long time Halo fan, I'm kind of interested to see what they do with Halo 6, because I feel like it might have the same problem to me. Though Halo 5's mobility suite did breathe some new life into competitive Halo, so I hope they build on those.

Personally, this direction for COD pretty much ensures I won't be buying any more games in the franchise, short of a huge shakeup. Though I would put good money on the next COD featuring a 'Battle Royal' mode a la PUBG. But just as their wall-running and mobility suite was a cut-rate version of TitanFall, I expect their version of PUBG's battle royal mode will be watered down as well. We shall see.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If people enjoy it, good for them. It's too slow and old-fashioned for me. I played like 10 matches, finished the campaign, sold the game back.

I don't think I'll be able to go back to a 'boots on the ground' COD when I can play something like TitanFall 2 on one end of the spectrum (all pace, verticality, mobility, engagement variety), and something like PUBG on the other end of the spectrum, which is all tension, risk/reward, high consequence on the other end of the spectrum.

This COD is stuck firmly in the middle and scratches neither itch in MP, and has a mediocre campaign to boot. I'm disappointed, because after Advanced Warfare, I was excited to see what Sledgehammer would do next. But the end result is such safe, focus-grouped, bland stuff, it's hard to imagine even THEY were particularly excited about this project.

As a long time Halo fan, I'm kind of interested to see what they do with Halo 6, because I feel like it might have the same problem to me. Though Halo 5's mobility suite did breathe some new life into competitive Halo, so I hope they build on those.

Personally, this direction for COD pretty much ensures I won't be buying any more games in the franchise, short of a huge shakeup. Though I would put good money on the next COD featuring a 'Battle Royal' mode a la PUBG. But just as their wall-running and mobility suite was a cut-rate version of TitanFall, I expect their version of PUBG's battle royal mode will be watered down as well. We shall see.

So you prefer gimmicks over playing people who are talented, know tactics, and don't do stupid stuff like bunny hop?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
So you prefer gimmicks over playing people who are talented, know tactics, and don't do stupid stuff like bunny hop?

No, I prefer games with mobility that make players more difficult targets to hit (requiring MORE skill), TTK times that cut down on lucky kills and 'first guy to see the other wins' affairs, makes camping far more useless, afford variety in engagement strategies and map control battles, rather than repeating the same wrote patterns, and nearly identical stuggles over the same choke points over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, etc.

I do laugh at the notion that slowing down and grounding players in order to make targets more predictable and easier to hit is a better test of skill. That's funny.

As far as PUBG, that's the other end of the spectrum. It's more raw tension and team planning than raw shooting skill. But it's fun for what it is. COD would be wise to try and copy that mode in their future games. I don't think they'll ever have the balls to get away from their focus-tested safe zone to implement the same consequence for death, or the same balance of tension/anticipation to action as PUBG has, but they could try and find a casual-friendly sweet spot that ups the action per match a bit.

COD WW2 is stuck in the middle. Providing neither an exhilarating pace that puts the aiming ability of the player to real test, nor the wealth of legitimate navigation and engagement options by ensuring all attack angles are essentially fixed to the horizontal plane, nor legitimate tension or fear of death.

COD does have it's own skill gap that separate the great players from the masses, but they're just not skills I care to emphasize. Cover peaking, area denial, and standard map control practices have been around for decades. Other shooters are building new challenges, opporunities and variety on top of those staples. COD WW2 regresses back towards them taking center stage. If that's what you're into fine. I'm happy to play 'gimmicks' that are frankly more fun, more challenging, and demand a new suite of skills on top of the old ones I've been using for over a decade now.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
No, I prefer games with mobility that make players more difficult targets to hit (requiring MORE skill), TTK times that cut down on lucky kills and 'first guy to see the other wins' affairs, makes camping far more useless, afford variety in engagement strategies and map control battles, rather than repeating the same wrote patterns, and nearly identical stuggles over the same choke points over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, etc.

I do laugh at the notion that slowing down and grounding players in order to make targets more predictable and easier to hit is a better test of skill. That's funny.

As far as PUBG, that's the other end of the spectrum. It's more raw tension and team planning than raw shooting skill. But it's fun for what it is. COD would be wise to try and copy that mode in their future games. I don't think they'll ever have the balls to get away from their focus-tested safe zone to implement the same consequence for death, or the same balance of tension/anticipation to action as PUBG has, but they could try and find a casual-friendly sweet spot that ups the action per match a bit.

COD WW2 is stuck in the middle. Providing neither an exhilarating pace that puts the aiming ability of the player to real test, nor the wealth of legitimate navigation and engagement options by ensuring all attack angles are essentially fixed to the horizontal plane, nor legitimate tension or fear of death.

COD does have it's own skill gap that separate the great players from the masses, but they're just not skills I care to emphasize. Cover peaking, area denial, and standard map control practices have been around for decades. Other shooters are building new challenges, opporunities and variety on top of those staples. COD WW2 regresses back towards them taking center stage. If that's what you're into fine. I'm happy to play 'gimmicks' that are frankly more fun, more challenging, and demand a new suite of skills on top of the old ones I've been using for over a decade now.

1) There aren’t any choke points. If you can’t get past a team because they’re blocking you need to work together to complete an objective.

2) Camping will go away when more players know maps. I personally have fun with them when they can hear you after you sneak up on them and send a shovel into their skull and tell them that’s the prize for camping.

This game is anything but predictable. If you think so you should be kicking ass at it.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
1) There aren’t any choke points. If you can’t get past a team because they’re blocking you need to work together to complete an objective.

2) Camping will go away when more players know maps. I personally have fun with them when they can hear you after you sneak up on them and send a shovel into their skull and tell them that’s the prize for camping.

This game is anything but predictable. If you think so you should be kicking ass at it.

You seem to be conflating boredom and dislike with frustration.

I didn't experience any great lack of success, I just found the proceedings repetitive, predictable, slow paced and boring. If you find them exciting all the more power to you.

Whether you want to call them choke points or not, there are key areas on each map that each team wants to control. That's the basis of map control, and extends to any team-based mode in most every shooter, including every COD. That doesn't mean you're necessarily hunkered down in one spot with a nice vantage point until somebody kills you, it could mean something as simple as you've cut a map-route into a sub-route within a particular area. People do this intuitively, though better players and teams actively coordinate it.

This goes for objective modes or deathmatch modes, aside from straight FFA deathmatch. COD tries (and has since at least MW2) to disrupt map control with their spawning system (it also helps reduce spawn camping), but good teams and players can pretty easily lock down a map even with spawns happening in areas on either side, simply by owning the key hot spots. And yes, owning those key areas is a tactical skill in so-far as using call outs, knowing the flanking routes, team-shooting (though rarely necessary in COD given the low TTK, a better phrase might be 'clean-up' of any weakened players that survived the initial fire-fight).

Increased mobility systems help break down map control by providing teams with more engagement and approach options. When you go from having to keep tabs on the prescribed entry points built into a map on a horizontal plane to having to consider players coming in from above via jumps, or bouncing off walls and turning vertical surfaces into viable pathways for approach and attack, suddenly you're faced with more potential threat possibilities to coordinate against. And yeah, you have to be better at shooting if you want tag guys jumping back and forth at high speed across your screen. The issue with those abilities in BLOPS3 and Infinite Warefare was that the maps weren't built well enough to utilize those mobility systems, and the weapon design and balance did nothing to take account or make use of them either. It was a failure in execution, not concept.

Simply put, I prefer both the extra challenge, and the greater combat variety. To say nothing of the raw pace increase that a TitanFall provides over the fastest matches of COD.

That, and I personally think that the Titan vs Pilot interplay in TitanFall 2, where you can have battles of Pilot vs Pilot segue into Pilot vs Titan, Titan vs Titan, and every combination imagineable makes for more interesting match dynamics and give-and-take than simple kill-streaks afford.

Each to their own. I would have prefered to see them try again and get the execution perfect in an Advanced Warfare sequel or something, versus regressing all the way back to 10 year old shooter design. But if you were excited for this direction and are happy with what they delivered then Im happy for you and those who share your tastes. :)

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You seem to be conflating boredom and dislike with frustration.

I didn't experience any great lack of success, I just found the proceedings repetitive, predictable, slow paced and boring. If you find them exciting all the more power to you.

Whether you want to call them choke points or not, there are key areas on each map that each team wants to control. That's the basis of map control, and extends to any team-based mode in most every shooter, including every COD. That doesn't mean you're necessarily hunkered down in one spot with a nice vantage point until somebody kills you, it could mean something as simple as you've cut a map-route into a sub-route within a particular area. People do this intuitively, though better players and teams actively coordinate it.

This goes for objective modes or deathmatch modes, aside from straight FFA deathmatch. COD tries (and has since at least MW2) to disrupt map control with their spawning system (it also helps reduce spawn camping), but good teams and players can pretty easily lock down a map even with spawns happening in areas on either side, simply by owning the key hot spots. And yes, owning those key areas is a tactical skill in so-far as using call outs, knowing the flanking routes, team-shooting (though rarely necessary in COD given the low TTK, a better phrase might be 'clean-up' of any weakened players that survived the initial fire-fight).

Increased mobility systems help break down map control by providing teams with more engagement and approach options. When you go from having to keep tabs on the prescribed entry points built into a map on a horizontal plane to having to consider players coming in from above via jumps, or bouncing off walls and turning vertical surfaces into viable pathways for approach and attack, suddenly you're faced with more potential threat possibilities to coordinate against. And yeah, you have to be better at shooting if you want tag guys jumping back and forth at high speed across your screen. The issue with those abilities in BLOPS3 and Infinite Warefare was that the maps weren't built well enough to utilize those mobility systems, and the weapon design and balance did nothing to take account or make use of them either. It was a failure in execution, not concept.

Simply put, I prefer both the extra challenge, and the greater combat variety. To say nothing of the raw pace increase that a TitanFall provides over the fastest matches of COD.

That, and I personally think that the Titan vs Pilot interplay in TitanFall 2, where you can have battles of Pilot vs Pilot segue into Pilot vs Titan, Titan vs Titan, and every combination imagineable makes for more interesting match dynamics and give-and-take than simple kill-streaks afford.

Each to their own. I would have prefered to see them try again and get the execution perfect in an Advanced Warfare sequel or something, versus regressing all the way back to 10 year old shooter design. But if you were excited for this direction and are happy with what they delivered then Im happy for you and those who share your tastes. :)

I think you're equating the variety with skill too much. It's fine if you enjoy that, but it's that very variety that breaks games and makes them unbalanced. The more options you add in, the harder it is to balance, and usually those types of games develop the same type of staleness you're talking about.

Sure, there's variation, but there's also a tremendous amount of emphasis on perks/kits than on pure skill. I stopped actively playing after Ghost, but I found with each iteration after Modern Warfare that the games got worse. Statistically speaking, I improved in each version of the game game, but that's because I was better able to abuse opponents by the setups they allowed via perks and killstreaks. I prefer slower paced games that require a tactical and strategic approach to them, it's a more level playing field for all.

That said, I haven't picked up WWII yet, so I have no idea how it plays.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think you're equating the variety with skill too much. It's fine if you enjoy that, but it's that very variety that breaks games and makes them unbalanced. The more options you add in, the harder it is to balance, and usually those types of games develop the same type of staleness you're talking about.

Sure, there's variation, but there's also a tremendous amount of emphasis on perks/kits than on pure skill. I stopped actively playing after Ghost, but I found with each iteration after Modern Warfare that the games got worse. Statistically speaking, I improved in each version of the game game, but that's because I was better able to abuse opponents by the setups they allowed via perks and killstreaks. I prefer slower paced games that require a tactical and strategic approach to them, it's a more level playing field for all.

That said, I haven't picked up WWII yet, so I have no idea how it plays.

I think you’ll dig this game. Watch some of it on Twitch. You’ll get a good feel for it. It’s conpletley different than the run and gun COD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad