C/W Travis Konecny (2015, 24th, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Konecny has been one of my favourite prospects for years, not surprised that he comes in hot like he did last night. Such a dynamic player. Can't believe you got him at 24th. Flyers have a lot of extremely talented young players, if only you guys could find a consistent/long-term solution in net

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Konecny has been one of my favourite prospects for years, not surprised that he comes in hot like he did last night. Such a dynamic player. Can't believe you got him at 24th. Flyers have a lot of extremely talented young players, if only you guys could find a consistent/long-term solution in net

Flyers goaltending is the best it's been in many, many years. Philly is fine in net.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

And the myth of Philly having no goaltending continues.

Philly arguably has the best tandem in the NHL.

Also: look at Mason's numbers. What about his performance tells you he hasn't been a main-stay in Philly?

Lastly: Check out our goaltending prospects. Probably best group in the NHL.

We'll be fine.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'll be sure to revisit this matter upon completion of the season - this is Konecny's thread so I have no interest in squabbling over your goalie depth, an entirely trivial debate to an outside fan.

And since I can't resist, you have a tandem of a guy on his 4th team in 5 years and Mason, who is solid albeit entirely unspectacular. You're entitled to feel good about that, just as I am to question it. Over the last 4 seasons you are ranked 22nd, 20th, 24th, and 15th in GA. Help me to understand how that leaves you with no room for improvement in terms of your goaltending, with a mind for the long run..

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'll be sure to revisit this matter upon completion of the season - this is Konecny's thread so I have no interest in squabbling over your goalie depth, an entirely trivial debate to an outside fan.

And since I can't resist, you have a tandem of a guy on his 4th team in 5 years and Mason, who is solid albeit entirely unspectacular. You're entitled to feel good about that, just as I am to question it. Over the last 4 seasons you are ranked 22nd, 20th, 24th, and 15th in GA. Help me to understand how that leaves you with no room for improvement in terms of your goaltending, with a mind for the long run..

PM'd

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming of Konecny being amazing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wanted Ottawa to draft him so bad with our 2 1sts in 2015. Great start to his career so far.

You guys got a pretty good player at #21(White) also. But I agree on Konecny, it is hard to understand how he lasted to #24. When I watched him in his draft year, I believed he was close to a top 10 prospect. I actually had him at #11 in my rankings prior to the draft.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=103376851&postcount=512

I think he will make a few teams pay for not taking him. There always seems to be atleast one slider in a draft that comes back to haunt teams. Konecny may be one of them this draft, But good on the Flyers and Snow in particular for moving up to get him. He is certainly looking good early on. Always loved what this player brought to the table.

Another assist last night to make it 3 points in 2 games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly has the D prospects arriving.
Philly has the G prospects on the way.
Philly has the F prospects now in the system.

What they need, is top end forward prospects. You usually get those near the top of the draft. Being able to get a guy at #24 who 1 year later is playing in your top 6 is impressive. And he certainly has 1st line offensive upside.

Philly likely won't be drafting in the top 10 again for awhile so making trades to get specific players you target is important. This trade has given Philly and Toronto exactly what they hoped for on that day.

Konecny has injected speed, skill and creativity into our top 6. And when Schenn comes back, that means Raffl gets bumped to the 3rd line where he is more suited. Konecky has plugged a gaping hole in our lineup.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
You guys got a pretty good player at #21(White) also. But I agree on Konecny, it is hard to understand how he lasted to #24. When I watched him in his draft year, I believed he was close to a top 10 prospect. I actually had him at #11 in my rankings prior to the draft.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=103376851&postcount=512

I think he will make a few teams pay for not taking him. There always seems to be atleast one slider in a draft that comes back to haunt teams. Konecny may be one of them this draft, But good on the Flyers and Snow in particular for moving up to get him. He is certainly looking good early on. Always loved what this player brought to the table.

Another assist last night to make it 3 points in 2 games.

I'd imagine that it was the composition of injury history, size and a rather middling pre-draft season [per expectations] but even then it's still a bit bewildering.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Konecny is off to a good start. I wanted Ottawa to take him too. Not unhappy with our picks in the 1st; Chabot and White, but Konecny is still the type of forward the Sens need in the lineup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Konecny is off to a good start. I wanted Ottawa to take him too. Not unhappy with our picks in the 1st; Chabot and White, but Konecny is still the type of forward the Sens need in the lineup.

Was really shocked Ottawa passed on him considering he was on the 67's

He is going to be a top 6 forward for many, many years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

... go ahead and look at the defensemen on those rosters. :laugh:

Goaltending is the least of our problems. We have two legit starters and multiple great goalie prospects.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Not bad for someone who didn't want to discuss it. We've had excellent netminding, just mediocre-appalling defense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Goalies
1. Stolarz, Anthony (75%)
2. Sandstrom, Felix (43%)
3. Hart, Carter (74%)
4. Lyon, Alex (91%)
5. Madsen, Merrick (64%)
6. Tomek, Matej (59%)
7. Fedotov, Ivan

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd imagine that it was the composition of injury history, size and a rather middling pre-draft season [per expectations] but even then it's still a bit bewildering.

I recall Ottawa not being that good a team in his draft year. Dante Salituro was the next most talented player he had to play with. I took this into consideration on why I had him as high as #11 in his draft year. I think we now know how good Travis is, when he plays with better players as seen with the trade to Sarnia. His PPG shot up. It really is not a surprise to me he is doing well early on.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Neutral fan here - how has Konecny looked in terms of keeping his head up? I know that was a concern in his draft year

His production makes me wish even more that the leafs had taken him rather than trading the pick

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Neutral fan here - how has Konecny looked in terms of keeping his head up? I know that was a concern in his draft year

His production makes me wish even more that the leafs had taken him rather than trading the pick

After watching the first two games I would say I am still concerned about his durability.
I love to watch his reckless and insanely skilled playstyle, but it seems like he is more often involved in dangerous situations than our other players.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
After watching the first two games I would say I am still concerned about his durability.
I love to watch his reckless and insanely skilled playstyle, but it seems like he is more often involved in dangerous situations than our other players.

He's always been so exciting to watch, would be a shame if he runs into early injury/concussion issues

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Your description of him reminded me of Claude Giroux. Wouldn't it be ironic if TK followed in CG's footsteps as late firsts steals? And Giroux may be a great comarable for Konecny one day.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Your description of him reminded me of Claude Giroux. Wouldn't it be ironic if TK followed in CG's footsteps as late firsts steals? And Giroux may be a great comarable for Konecny one day.

Not to jinx him, but he looks EXACTLY like Giroux did.

He's got that fire, like he needs to prove he can beat the guys bigger than him or ranked higher than him. Skills are on par with where G was at that age, creativity is eerily similar, he's actually a better skater than G was at that age...by a fair bit.

As far as injuries go, he plays very aggressive. But he's also smart enough to spin off of hits and dodge the big hits. That said, and player is at risk for that big one :(

I'll definitely feel better when he's a little older, stronger, and refs look to protect him more (Because he'll get the superstar treatment soon)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not to jinx him, but he looks EXACTLY like Giroux did.

He's got that fire, like he needs to prove he can beat the guys bigger than him or ranked higher than him. Skills are on par with where G was at that age, creativity is eerily similar, he's actually a better skater than G was at that age...by a fair bit.

As far as injuries go, he plays very aggressive. But he's also smart enough to spin off of hits and dodge the big hits. That said, and player is at risk for that big one :(

I'll definitely feel better when he's a little older, stronger, and refs look to protect him more (Because he'll get the superstar treatment soon)

If I had to compare him I might say he's more like a physical/gritty Briere than like Giroux.

Yeah I can see abit of both Briere and Giroux in Konecny. The fire and courage in his game I would not worry about. It's part of what makes him a special player in my mind. He will just have to make sure of where he is on the ice. Great players play in high traffic areas. I don't see TK changing this. Philly has a very very good player here, that may still play Center one day. Another plus, he can play either the wing or Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad