C/W Travis Konecny (2015, 24th, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Considered the favorite for 1st overall in the OHL priority draft if Day isn't eligible. However, there have been rumors Ottawa may take him #1 regardless. Currently leads the OHL cup in scoring after 2 days.

Looking at the OHL standings I see that Ottawa sits in last, followed by Erie. Does anyone know how the lottery works in the OHL? By the looks of things Konecny could be playing alongside McDavid next season in Erie.

Just how good is this guy? Does he project to be a star in the future?

Last edited:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
There is no lottery in the OHL, so the 67's are guaranteed the 1st overall pick and Erie is guaranteed 2nd.

I'm going to head up to Toronto tomorrow for the weekend for the final day of round-robin and the playoffs and am looking forward to seeing this kid, among many others.
An interesting note that popped up on Twitter today: he's the second cousin of 2013 NHL prospect Bo Horvat.

Here's some isolation video of him:

The London Free Press has also been running a series on him the whole season, called "The Prospect".

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He would be a good pick up to play with McDavid if Ottawa does indeed take Day (they're rumored to love Konecny enough to take him regardless). Konecny is a great talent, fast with great skills and little bit nasty. I would expect he goes top two, Werenski is the one kid other than Day who could go ahead of him (some on HF Boards will say kids like Strome, I never see scouts on Twitter having Strome ahead of Konecny).

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The kid looks like he's got a lot of power in his first few steps/strides. Can't quite put my finger on a player he reminds me of, maybe a bit of Patrick Sharp?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I can't believe this guy's thread is so short.

Any updates on how he's looked at camp/pre-season in Ottawa.

Looking forward to following him this year. Even if Ottawa won't be one of the top teams, viewing-wise they have high quality t.v. production values (compared to all the other OHL teams, not including London and Oshawa) for their games...so I'm sure to tune in to them this year :laugh:

any sense on how Monahan's presence/absence will impact his role on the team?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Looking forward to following him this year. Even if Ottawa won't be one of the top teams, viewing-wise they have high quality t.v. production values (compared to all the other OHL teams, not including London and Oshawa) for their games...so I'm sure to tune in to them this year :laugh:

I haven't see any of the preseason games, but by all accounts he has been the 67's best forward thus far and has wowed a few people in the short snippets I've heard on the radio from the guys following the 67's . But sometimes this just based on the expectations that the announcers build up the top pick, so might be a bit of that too.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

My cousin played against him a bunch of times. Said he's an amazing player.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Not sure who it was, probably 67s play by play guy, but heard on radio today someone saying Konecny's probably been the best 67 at camp.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not sure who it was, probably 67s play by play guy, but heard on radio today someone saying Konecny's probably been the best 67 at camp.

Here is the podcast with AJ Jakubec talking 67's. He basically says Konecny is regarded as the best player on the team already, although he does say he'll likely be the 3rd center to start, although I'm sure he'll get quality PP time too.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/186/15905/130917 AJ Jakubec on The Drive.mp3

Pitlick*

I was at Konecny's first OHL game. Wow, what a player! 2 great assists, setting up tap-ins. A mind-blowing play where he deked the defenseman out, then almost scored through the legs, goalie made a good save. Other good plays too.

Amazing hands, great speed, hard work / tenacity, a few solid bodychecks, awareness and vision / eyes in the back of his head, this kid does it all.

Named 1st star.

As a 16 year-old, he's more dangerous than Monahan last year at 18, however Monahan's more of a complete 2-way player.

In 2 years, Konecny will be a top 5 NHL pick, I'd bet the farm on that.

This player just blew my mind! Just electrifying, and dangerous.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I was at Konecny's first OHL game. Wow, what a player! 2 great assists, setting up tap-ins. A mind-blowing play where he deked the defenseman out, then almost scored through the legs, goalie made a good save. Other good plays too.

Amazing hands, great speed, hard work / tenacity, a few solid bodychecks, awareness and vision / eyes in the back of his head, this kid does it all.

Named 1st star.

As a 16 year-old, he's more dangerous than Monahan last year at 18, however Monahan's more of a complete 2-way player.

In 2 years, Konecny will be a top 5 NHL pick, I'd bet the farm on that.

This player just blew my mind! Just electrifying, and dangerous.

Heard from a few friends at the game the same thing. He's all they could talk about. Looking forward to seeing him play live.

snizzbone*

AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports 29m
Travis Konecny has his 1st OHL goal. And his 2nd. Oh & he was stopped on a shorthanded breakaway before drawing a penalty. #KonecnyShow #67s

Logan Couture ‏@Logancouture 21m
@AJonSports skated with him this summer AJ. NHL skill. And he's only 16

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Wow....He sounds like he's ripping it up so far!....there draft is 2 years away....McDavid,Barzal/Konecny...2 long years..Watchout McDavid. Not say they will catch him, but on hf,and in the media we like hype trains...but the race is far from over McDavid just has a 5min head start

shaping up to be a great draft, which i think will always be headlines by mcdavid, while others play second fiddle, no slight to others but it just seems there is a different level with mcdavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad