C/W Travis Konecny (2015, 24th, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
On the former Flyer vein. Also a bit of a young Mike Richards in terms of playing with no fear and playing bigger than their size. Also both were #24 picks.

And this is why I legitimately worry about how long he might last if he really does develop into a star talent. It just seems exceedingly common for those small, high intensity forwards to sort of crash and burn as they near their 30s.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Maybe it's just me, but I always thought Travis Konecny reminded me of a young Mark Recchi. Good hands, can skate like there's no tomorrow, has a bit of a mean streak and can snipe just as well as play make. I know some mentioned that Konecny has that bullrush mentality and no fear when going into the corners. Recchi had that when he was younger and he learned how to pick his spots. I expect Konecny will do the same when he gets older. He's a pretty smart character, so I don't expect Travis to continue going full tilt and being reckless so to speak.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And this is why I legitimately worry about how long he might last if he really does develop into a star talent. It just seems exceedingly common for those small, high intensity forwards to sort of crash and burn as they near their 30s.

Good point for Richards, smaller player that played big for his size. I don't think it is exclusive to smaller players though. You look at Eric Staal and how much he has declined also from the same 2003 draft. Both played a lot of pressure hockey when they were younger. A lot of hard miles will do this to players.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Brendan Gallagher
Brad Marchand
Robby Fabbri
Jaden Schwartz
Zach Parise
Claude Giroux
Mitch Marner

One of those types of players, and these are my favourite types of players. Small, fast, skilled players who play with a ton of jam and always go to the dirty areas.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I will gladly take a decade of Mike Richards play and production from Konecny in our top 6. Getting that while also adding a possible #1 Dman is a hell of a draft. Throw in Myers for free and that is a hell of a summer in 2015. Plus we still have 3 other WJC players from that draft. Hextall killed that draft.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
He's got way better hands than Canon, but he can't hit like him...
St. Louis Comes to mind.

Rich man's Scottie Upshall

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Watching him in junior he definitely played like Giroux. I ran the comparison by legendary 67s play caller Dave Schreiber and he said it was likely the best comparison to the way Kony plays.

Just remember, Giroux wasnt Giroux for a few seasons, TK will take some time but i see him becoming the same kind of player as Claude.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
How's his goal scoring project?

From the little I've seen he looks like an absolutely lethal passer, especially in tight areas, which bodes very well for his future

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
How's his goal scoring project?

From the little I've seen he looks like an absolutely lethal passer, especially in tight areas, which bodes very well for his future

Konecny has a great shot which he doesn't use enough. Before being traded to Sarnia last year he had 7 goals in about half a season. He was asked to shoot more, and scored 23 goals in the 2nd half. He's definitely unselfish to a fault.

In the OHL coaches poll for the upcoming 2016/17 season he was voted 3rd best pure sniper. Not to mention his great hands in close (he was voted 3rd in coaches poll)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Konecny has a great shot which he doesn't use enough. Before being traded to Sarnia last year he had 7 goals in about half a season. He was asked to shoot more, and scored 23 goals in the 2nd half. He's definitely unselfish to a fault.

In the OHL coaches poll for the upcoming 2016/17 season he was voted 3rd best pure sniper. Not to mention his great hands in close (he was voted 3rd in coaches poll)

This is correct and I agree. Many people don't realize this. Konecny has a terrific shot and release. He will probably have to use it more to keep defenses honest. Or they will just key on the pass.

When I think of it, I think the best comparison for him is a hybrid young Mike Richards/Claude Giroux type player. I would not be surprised one day if he gets a letter from the Flyers.

When we look at this draft. Flyers getting him at #24 might be one of the best value and quality picks of 2015.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
This is correct and I agree. Many people don't realize this. Konecny has a terrific shot and release. He will probably have to use it more to keep defenses honest. Or they will just key on the pass.

When I think of it, I think the best comparison for him is a hybrid young Mike Richards/Claude Giroux type player. I would not be surprised one day if he gets a letter from the Flyers.

When we look at this draft. Flyers getting him at #24 might be one of the best value and quality picks of 2015.

That's not a bad comparison, or hybrid to have.

Hextall getting him AND Provorov in the same draft...even if no one else pans out, I'd consider that nailing it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's not a bad comparison, or hybrid to have.

Hextall getting him AND Provorov in the same draft...even if no one else pans out, I'd consider that nailing it.

We are on the same wave length again. Prior to the draft if you told me I was drafting Provorov and Konecny with the 2 picks the Flyers had. I would have said sign me up. I was very high on both. Hextall did well this draft. Both high character young men also.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

Konecny is a much better skater than either of those two players, though. From watching roughly half of all home Ottawa 67s games during TK's two and a half years here, the package he brings to the table reminds me more of Theo Fleury.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brendan Gallagher
Brad Marchand
Robby Fabbri
Jaden Schwartz
Zach Parise
Claude Giroux
Mitch Marner

One of those types of players, and these are my favourite types of players. Small, fast, skilled players who play with a ton of jam and always go to the dirty areas.

Roenick

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Recchi (when young and he was still a +skater) & Parise are probably the two he reminds me of the most... not only similar frames, but similar style of grit mixed with skill, speed and non-stop motor.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
This kid has crazy skill, seems to be a good guy to take over for Giroux. Can he be as physical as him. Not in the hitting but able to defend himself and take on the bigger guys?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This kid has crazy skill, seems to be a good guy to take over for Giroux. Can he be as physical as him. Not in the hitting but able to defend himself and take on the bigger guys?

Yeah, when we look back on this draft years from now. I have a feeling Konecny is going to be one of those guys you wonder how he slipped to #24. He's a natural fit to be the heir apparent to Giroux one day for the Flyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad